Old 05-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #11

i have electic stabilizers, from day one on my new camper , the back has worked perfectly, the front will go down fine but will not go backup, I only lower both till it just meets the ground, I cant get the RV dealer to replace. i am thining its the switch.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
2014 XLR 27HFS

Not only can you twist the frame, you can damage the leveling jacks to the point they wont go back up.

Lessons learned from my first camper; put stick on levels on both sides of a corner of your trailer (when you are sure it is already level).
Amazon.com: Hopkins 08525 Graduated Level: Automotive

When you pull on to the campsite, get out and check the side to side level. If it's off, back up 2 or 3 feet and stack up some Lynx levelers where your tire was.
Amazon.com: Tri-Lynx 00015 Lynx Levelers, (Pack of 10): Automotive

Then drive onto them and check the side to side level again. Repeat till level. When that is good, put in wheel chocks (failure of this step can lead to amusement of other campers), unhook, and use your tongue jack to level front to back.

Only then put down your stabilizer jacks. Put all four down till they touch the ground. Then go around again giving each a half turn. Check that your door(s) are happy with this - then have the DW hand you a cold one for a job well done. :-)

Old 11-01-2014, 02:12 AM   #13

Just wanted to say thanks for this great info. I'm a noob to this, always tent camped and just gettin too old to sleep on the ground. Just bought a new to me 2007 and most definitely would have used the stabilizers to try and level the camper if I hadn't read this post.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #14

I would also add that you should extend your slides prior to extending your stab jacks. The slides will always cause your TT to lean further in that direction and causing increased weight on stabs if they ara already extended. I always set my slide side just a tad higher than my right side when leveling side to side. This allows a nice level setting once the slides are extended and that side lowers. At that point I extend all four stabs since there will no longer be any side to side movement.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
I would also add that you should extend your slides prior to extending your stab jacks. The slides will always cause your TT to lean further in that direction and causing increased weight on stabs if they ara already extended. I always set my slide side just a tad higher than my right side when leveling side to side. This allows a nice level setting once the slides are extended and that side lowers. At that point I extend all four stabs since there will no longer be any side to side movement.
To add to that, I extend my slide before I back onto my leveling blocks for basically the same reason - I was noticing a very slight list to the slide-side after extending it. Now I extend the slide, gently back it onto my lynx blocks, then drop my stabilizers. Perfectly level and stabilized.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #16

I learned the scary way not to trust the lego style leveling blocks, at least not in dirt. I thought i had everything secure until i unhitched, then the side raised by these type blocks moved. I will never again trust them, 2x8 wood planks for me from now on!!!!

Tags
leveling, stabilizers