Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #1

Stabilizers not for leveling ??

Hello Everyone, My Dw and I went through our Pre-Delivery walk thru today. Our Technician said that we should not use the Stabilizers for leveling!! This caught me by surprise as I thought that was one of their purposes. I knew they were intended to solidify the trailer, but also thought they could be used for leveling.
jimtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #2

The tech is correct.

Sent from my C811 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #3

No, the scissors type stabilizers are not designed to pick up the weight of the trailer. Use levelers or wood under the tires to level left to right, and the tongue jack to level it forward and back. Run the stabilizers down till they just start to move the trailer, then stop. When i first got our TT, I learned the hard way and buckled two stabilizers on our second camping trip.
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #4

Stabililzers for Leveling

Hey Jim, welcome to the forum. While we are camperless until the 19th, I have pulled three different types and lengths of trailers and driven a Class A. What I believe the dealer meant is you need to level the camper using boards, wedges, or whatever under the tires first. After you have it very close to level, then drop you stabilizers to steady it for use.

I carry some 2x8s (cheap) in two or three lengths that I can put down and back the trailer up on. You need to have a couple long enough to span both axles if it is tandem wheels. Stack them if needed, just be careful in case they flip or the tire falls off making them fly out and hurt someone.

It's easy, just have fun!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
Site Team

FINALLY, a RV tech that actually knows what he's talking about!!

you're lucky that you got him.

NEVER use stabilizers to level a trailer. that's what Lynx Levelers or wood boards are for.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

Whrn we rented a few years ago and got back into camping, the rental was the first time I used stab jacks, as all my other camers from the 90s never had them. Well, I found out quickly that their purpose is not for leveling, as the door got jammed from a slight twisting of the trailer. Use wood boards or lego blocks.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 Tablet using the FRF Android App!
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:09 AM   #7

You can bend the frame jacking the trailer with the stabilizers. Welcome to the forum.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:28 AM   #8

Thanks Everyone for the welcome to the Forum and the feedback on this issue . Now I know what should be done to avoid damaging our new trailer. Thanks again.
jimtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:33 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum.......

Nice a tech that knew what he / she was talking about. No as mentioned stabilizers are usually only to stabilize the trailer not to level. Serious damage can result trying to level with them, also do not use slide supports on the slides, for the same reason.

Enjoy you new trailer!!! The forum is a great place to ask questions please feel free do so. Wish the internet was available when we started camping about 30 years ago.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:42 AM   #10

They did tell what not to do. When we got our popup they said nothing about this subject, I found out at home when i set the camper up to practice and from comments on this sit. Thanks forest river family.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forest River Forums mobile app
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #11

i have electic stabilizers, from day one on my new camper , the back has worked perfectly, the front will go down fine but will not go backup, I only lower both till it just meets the ground, I cant get the RV dealer to replace. i am thining its the switch.
wirthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
2014 XLR 27HFS

Not only can you twist the frame, you can damage the leveling jacks to the point they wont go back up.

Lessons learned from my first camper; put stick on levels on both sides of a corner of your trailer (when you are sure it is already level).
Amazon.com: Hopkins 08525 Graduated Level: Automotive

When you pull on to the campsite, get out and check the side to side level. If it's off, back up 2 or 3 feet and stack up some Lynx levelers where your tire was.
Amazon.com: Tri-Lynx 00015 Lynx Levelers, (Pack of 10): Automotive

Then drive onto them and check the side to side level again. Repeat till level. When that is good, put in wheel chocks (failure of this step can lead to amusement of other campers), unhook, and use your tongue jack to level front to back.

Only then put down your stabilizer jacks. Put all four down till they touch the ground. Then go around again giving each a half turn. Check that your door(s) are happy with this - then have the DW hand you a cold one for a job well done. :-)
Old 11-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #13

Just wanted to say thanks for this great info. I'm a noob to this, always tent camped and just gettin too old to sleep on the ground. Just bought a new to me 2007 and most definitely would have used the stabilizers to try and level the camper if I hadn't read this post.
Dave_Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #14

I would also add that you should extend your slides prior to extending your stab jacks. The slides will always cause your TT to lean further in that direction and causing increased weight on stabs if they ara already extended. I always set my slide side just a tad higher than my right side when leveling side to side. This allows a nice level setting once the slides are extended and that side lowers. At that point I extend all four stabs since there will no longer be any side to side movement.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
I would also add that you should extend your slides prior to extending your stab jacks. The slides will always cause your TT to lean further in that direction and causing increased weight on stabs if they ara already extended. I always set my slide side just a tad higher than my right side when leveling side to side. This allows a nice level setting once the slides are extended and that side lowers. At that point I extend all four stabs since there will no longer be any side to side movement.
To add to that, I extend my slide before I back onto my leveling blocks for basically the same reason - I was noticing a very slight list to the slide-side after extending it. Now I extend the slide, gently back it onto my lynx blocks, then drop my stabilizers. Perfectly level and stabilized.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #16

I learned the scary way not to trust the lego style leveling blocks, at least not in dirt. I thought i had everything secure until i unhitched, then the side raised by these type blocks moved. I will never again trust them, 2x8 wood planks for me from now on!!!!

Tags
leveling, stabilizers