Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 44
Question Thinking of purchasing a 195BH, have a few ?'s

Hello everyone,

I am very close to deciding to buy a 195BH, just had a few questions that I was hoping you could help me with. I do really like the 201BHXL (4000lbsUVW) but i'm going to be towing with a 2005 Dakota, it does have the towing package but has the stock 3.55 gears so its limited to 5950lbs and I don't want to get anywhere near that to be safe (and to not cook my transmission).

Is the water heater both electric and propane, or just propane?

Do you find the single 20lb propane bottle to be sufficient or do you use it up pretty quick?

If you have a 195BH, what price did you pay? The dealer at an RV show I just went to asked for $12,500, I asked about $10,000 just to see what he would say and he just handed me his card and told me to call when I had a better offer

Any complaints about the trailer? How well does it tow?

Does the 8000btu window a/c work fine (I live in Michigan) or should I look into the 13,500btu roof a/c upgrade? I never plan to use a generator so thats not an issue.

I figured this trailer would be a good fit for me, i'm 25, single, and on a budget so I don't really mind the little less length/room compared to the 201BHXL. I just want the bunk beds so that my parents and sister (or friends) could come with if they wanted to.

I'm not new to RV camping. My parents used to own a 25' trailer and took me camping every weekend till school became too much of a hassle so we sold it since we stopped using it a lot, but this will be the biggest purchase i've ever made so its kinda nerve racking!

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any insight anyone might have!
__________________

__________________
wmuav8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 190
My wife and I bought a 195BH in Feb of this year. It is just the two of us normally, so it works out really well. We have taken one of my sons along on a trip or two, but that still found we had plenty of space as we spend most of the time outside. We cook outside also, (do a lot of Dutch Oven cooking).

As for the AC, I picked my unit up after having service work done on it about 3 weeks ago and wanted to go test everything so I went to a state park close to the dealer. It was about 98 degrees outside when I set up and 88 degrees in the camper. I thought about turning the AC on, (and I do have the side AC) and running back into town to allow the unit to cool down. However, it felt comfortable with the cool air blowing even at that temp. It cooled to 80 degrees inside pretty quickly. Took a while to bring it down to 77, but again it felt cooler than that. The inside temp dropped to 72 once the sun went down. The next afternoon it was 100 degrees on the back bumper in the shade. I had turned the AC down some that morning when I got up, (as I was outside reading in the shade with a fan), but since the unit was already cool, there was no issue keeping it below 74 that entire day. I can tell you that I measured the temp in the upper bunk and it was 82 degrees. If someone took a nap there in the heat of the day, that would be a little warm. A fan would be needed.

I have never had an issue with running out of propane. We camped in the cooler weather several times, but we used the heat very little. We ran a small space heater in the mornings mostly. We used the built in furnace to warm things up quickly and then ran the space heater. So propane has been no issue. I have an outdoor high pressure stove that I run off the tank on the camper by adding a Y at the take and a second regulator.

As far as the price, I paid $10,400 plus tax and title.

I have no complaints although our unit had a couple of issues that were important. One, the axle was bad on one side and that made the wheel out of alignment. It took 5 months to get a new one installed, but that was more of a dealer issue than anything else. Also, there was a spot in the floor that where the flooring was not glued down and it made a bubble. That was fixed without issue. The roof was not sealed very well at the corners. I could have fixed that myself, but I let the dealer do it since it was covered. I really wish now I had done it myself. Everything else was very minor, (hat to tight the water fitting on the toilet, had to tighten drain of sink, etc.).

My wife and I really are enjoying the camper. We did put memory foam toppers on all beds. The bunk beds make great storage. If it was always just my wife and I, I would still like the bunks.
__________________

__________________
AS Rabbit
2016 Wildwood 195BH
2009 Silverado 1500
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
My wife and I bought a 195BH in Feb of this year. It is just the two of us normally, so it works out really well. We have taken one of my sons along on a trip or two, but that still found we had plenty of space as we spend most of the time outside. We cook outside also, (do a lot of Dutch Oven cooking).

As for the AC, I picked my unit up after having service work done on it about 3 weeks ago and wanted to go test everything so I went to a state park close to the dealer. It was about 98 degrees outside when I set up and 88 degrees in the camper. I thought about turning the AC on, (and I do have the side AC) and running back into town to allow the unit to cool down. However, it felt comfortable with the cool air blowing even at that temp. It cooled to 80 degrees inside pretty quickly. Took a while to bring it down to 77, but again it felt cooler than that. The inside temp dropped to 72 once the sun went down. The next afternoon it was 100 degrees on the back bumper in the shade. I had turned the AC down some that morning when I got up, (as I was outside reading in the shade with a fan), but since the unit was already cool, there was no issue keeping it below 74 that entire day. I can tell you that I measured the temp in the upper bunk and it was 82 degrees. If someone took a nap there in the heat of the day, that would be a little warm. A fan would be needed.

I have never had an issue with running out of propane. We camped in the cooler weather several times, but we used the heat very little. We ran a small space heater in the mornings mostly. We used the built in furnace to warm things up quickly and then ran the space heater. So propane has been no issue. I have an outdoor high pressure stove that I run off the tank on the camper by adding a Y at the take and a second regulator.

As far as the price, I paid $10,400 plus tax and title.

I have no complaints although our unit had a couple of issues that were important. One, the axle was bad on one side and that made the wheel out of alignment. It took 5 months to get a new one installed, but that was more of a dealer issue than anything else. Also, there was a spot in the floor that where the flooring was not glued down and it made a bubble. That was fixed without issue. The roof was not sealed very well at the corners. I could have fixed that myself, but I let the dealer do it since it was covered. I really wish now I had done it myself. Everything else was very minor, (hat to tight the water fitting on the toilet, had to tighten drain of sink, etc.).

My wife and I really are enjoying the camper. We did put memory foam toppers on all beds. The bunk beds make great storage. If it was always just my wife and I, I would still like the bunks.
Thanks for your reply! You gave me a lot of good info. I was kinda thinking the same thing with using the bunk beds for storage when i'm alone, especially since I do plan on doing a few 1000+ mile trips with it.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your insight!
__________________
wmuav8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 190
I put a little rod across the bottom bunk to hang shirts. That works out well. I don't dress real nice to start with, but I have to have a shirt or two to go out to dinner every once in a while that are wriggle free or my wife will leave me at the camp site.
__________________
AS Rabbit
2016 Wildwood 195BH
2009 Silverado 1500
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
Never Stop Exploring
 
Camp4two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 154
Wife and I have a 2016 Salem Cruise Lite 195BH and paid $11,800 ($12,400 OTD) in Nevada. Forest River makes Evo, Salem and Wildwood 195BH trailers. All are almost identical except for some interior and exterior cosmetic changes. Shop around for a best price if these trailers in your area.

In the Salem Travel Trailers thread there is a lot great information in the "Cruise Lite 195BH Owners Thread" title. It should answer most of your questions plus a whole lot more.

We love our trailer. Have had it over 30 days dry camping and hookups with only very minor issues (discussed in the Salem thread).

Good luck with your purchase.

Camp4two
__________________
2016 Cruise Lite 195BH
2002 GMC Yukon SLT 4X4
ST205/75/R15/D trailer tires
Camp4two is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
Wife and I have a 2016 Salem Cruise Lite 195BH and paid $11,800 ($12,400 OTD) in Nevada. Forest River makes Evo, Salem and Wildwood 195BH trailers. All are almost identical except for some interior and exterior cosmetic changes. Shop around for a best price if these trailers in your area.

In the Salem Travel Trailers thread there is a lot great information in the "Cruise Lite 195BH Owners Thread" title. It should answer most of your questions plus a whole lot more.

We love our trailer. Have had it over 30 days dry camping and hookups with only very minor issues (discussed in the Salem thread).

Good luck with your purchase.

Camp4two
Yes! I actually like the color scheme of the Salem the most, but the Wildwood dealer is much closer to me so it will make any warranty trips much easier.

That forum thread has ALOT of info, thanks for pointing me to it and answering!
__________________
wmuav8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
rtidwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 25
We have Salem 195BH. We like it, a lot, for our family of 3. Im glad we did it. A couple of honest things to think about/look at before you buy:

1. Tow vehicle- We have a 2009 Honda Pilot. I did a LOT of research before we bought this Rv. We owned the Pilot, and didn't want to buy another TV. The pilot was rated to pull either 5000#. We had been pulling an '84 HiLo that weighed more than the 195BH, without trouble. I think it's dry weight was 4200. Short version of a long story, but we now have a 2006 F150 with a Triton. The Pilot didn't like to pull the 195BH in any sort of wind, and we live where there is always wind. It's a lightweight camper, but it also catches wind. Your Dodge is likely better for pulling things than the Pilot, but it's something to consider. I actually don't think I'd pull anything much heavier than the 195BH with the pickup we now have.

2. Be ready to be handy or be close to the place you buy it. Everything works, and it's a great little trailer, but we spent the first few trips tightening things. Things like the toilet supply connection and the drain plumbing under the sink. Things you won't find on your dealer walk through, and that they probably don't check. We live 4 hours from the closest dealer/service place, so I've learned to do and check these items myself.

Finally- take a stroll through the "195BH Owners Thread". It'll give you lots of ideas and things to watch for.

Good luck!

Rtidwell
Cruise Light 195BH/2006 F150 Crew
Garden City, KS
__________________
rtidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
rtidwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 25
P.S.- we paid 11,000 for ours
__________________
rtidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtidwell View Post
We have Salem 195BH. We like it, a lot, for our family of 3. Im glad we did it. A couple of honest things to think about/look at before you buy:

1. Tow vehicle- We have a 2009 Honda Pilot. I did a LOT of research before we bought this Rv. We owned the Pilot, and didn't want to buy another TV. The pilot was rated to pull either 5000#. We had been pulling an '84 HiLo that weighed more than the 195BH, without trouble. I think it's dry weight was 4200. Short version of a long story, but we now have a 2006 F150 with a Triton. The Pilot didn't like to pull the 195BH in any sort of wind, and we live where there is always wind. It's a lightweight camper, but it also catches wind. Your Dodge is likely better for pulling things than the Pilot, but it's something to consider. I actually don't think I'd pull anything much heavier than the 195BH with the pickup we now have.

2. Be ready to be handy or be close to the place you buy it. Everything works, and it's a great little trailer, but we spent the first few trips tightening things. Things like the toilet supply connection and the drain plumbing under the sink. Things you won't find on your dealer walk through, and that they probably don't check. We live 4 hours from the closest dealer/service place, so I've learned to do and check these items myself.

Finally- take a stroll through the "195BH Owners Thread". It'll give you lots of ideas and things to watch for.

Good luck!

Rtidwell
Cruise Light 195BH/2006 F150 Crew
Garden City, KS

Did you use WDB and sway control? I already bought the Equalizer hitch system just to be safe. Or were you referring to just pulling it into the wind and the trailer acting like an anchor? There aren't many Dakota towing reviews online, but the few that there are seem to indicate a trailer this size tows ok as long as you don't take it into the mountains (I never plan on going into mountains so not a factor to me) The biggest complaint seems to be getting only ~8mpg, but i'm already ready to accept that. I also forgot to mention I have a V8. I am still worried somewhat if the Dakota will handle it ok, but if not it should be good enough for some shorter trips while I save up for a new TV.

When I first decided I wanted to buy a trailer, I had big plans to buy a 5000lb (empty) 27 foot trailer, the research that followed quickly squashed any idea of doing that with a Dakota

The nearest dealer is about an hour away (actually in the town that they are built in Indiana!) I already plan on buying from them unless someone else gives me a super good deal Seems like tightening pipe's up seems to be a common theme with these trailers.

Thanks for your info!
__________________
wmuav8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: MA
Posts: 127
We just drove from Western Massachusetts to old orchard beach Maine, with a durango that has the same tow capacity and gear ratio as your Dakota. It towed fine, we were pretty loaded with extra stuff for the beach too.

As for the 195bh, it would be perfect for you, we are a family of 3 and it works great for us. The a/c unit did a good job of cooling down the unit a few weeks ago when it was over 100. Our water heater is just propane we do have to space out our showers but I can shower no problem without running out of hot water.

We paid $12,000 for ours more than a year ago, around here that was a good price, another dealer was selling it for $17,000 it's not worth that much.
__________________

__________________
2008 Dodge Durango
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.