Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #21

After the repair I would put metal above the tire area on both sides to help prevent this type of damage again. I had the same type of damage on my previous fiver.
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #22

Got the call from the dealership yesterday... to the total of $7200 give or take.. but said they should have it ready in a month or so!! And i have already cut some thick diamond plate to attach above the wheel wells for the future.. but really hoping this will be my one LUCKY time to deal with this.
Jonpbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #23

I don't know the extends of the damage but if you are somewhat handy , I would recommend you watch a lot of YouTube videos on trailer repair and I think you would most likely be able to repair this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #24

OK, having spent 30+ years as an equipment mantainance manager with a major express carrier I can tell you most tire failures are due to road hazard damage and running with low air pressure. We considered any tire found with a pressure of more than 20% below the established air pressure as flat. This required dismounting and inspection by a trained technician to determine if the sidewalk was damaged. Based on load and distance run this could easily render the tire unservicable and require replacement. Buying a used unit means you probably have no knowledge of how the tires, or anything elese, we're maintained. A tire run low on pressure or having significant impact damage,especially to the side wall is doomed to fail.
When in doubt replace the tire(s) and check pressures religiously. Structural damage from under inflation and Impact damage is usually impossible to see unless the tire is dismounted and even then it can be hard to see with the naked eye. Our certified retreaders used x-ray and ultrasound inspections to determine casing itegrity along with age. Next to fuel tires were by far our highest operating cost and we took tire maintenence very seriously. I would advise everyone to do the same. And FYI we used Goodyear and Michelin products exclisively.
Stevie3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood36322 View Post
After the repair I would put metal above the tire area on both sides to help prevent this type of damage again. I had the same type of damage on my previous fiver.

Having worked around tire test equipment for many years where tires are run to failure I can tell you that you would need a serious framework that supports 1/4" steel plate. I would est maybe 500+# of steel might reduce the damage. TPMS is much better investment.

RE the initial failure. Can't tell as I would really need to be able to inspect the remaining parts. HERE is a post showing an investigation I was able to complete of a Run Low Flex Failure (called a blowout) This failure may have been caused by leaking valve core.

You should run metal valve caps with O rings while waiting to install your TPMS. Plastic caps are only good to help keep dirt out not keep high pressure in if the core leaks.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:59 AM   #26

If I had to guess I'd say he had soft wood caused by wood rot and that contributed to this damage. Just a hunch ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire