Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #1

Tire mounting Recommendations

Anyone have a recommendation for getting their rig tires changed in the Cincinnati area? Don't want to wait for the RV shops as they take too long. Maybe Walmart, or a discount tire place? Appreciate any recommendations!!

John
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
Scoundrel

When it came time to change out my tires & wheels I didn't trust a tire shop to jack up my Micro Lite off the ground properly. I raised it up myself and dropped the wheels off at the tire shop.

Hope you find someone you can trust to do it right.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Don't know about your area, but whatever you do...don't let them jack it up by the axle!

If they say "Oh, it's OK...I do it every day!"

And I'm sure you will hear those words from a lot of tire stores!

And that may be true...

But they aren't the ones footing the bill a couple of thousands of miles down the road when you have to replace the axles and the tires (and maybe some gas lines, wiring and fenders due to a blowout) because they bent the axles by jacking it up that way!

I prefer truck tires shops, usually found near truck stops!

And, make sure you get them balanced!

RV dealers will tell you that trailer tires don't need to be balance...

But what do they know...

They are the same people that told the other guy that his F/150 and/or 1500 truck can pull that 14,000 pound 5th-wheeler!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgump View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for getting their rig tires changed in the Cincinnati area? Don't want to wait for the RV shops as they take too long. Maybe Walmart, or a discount tire place? Appreciate any recommendations!!

John
Are you going to buy the tires from the Installer or are you going to bring your "Own Tires"? This will make a difference! Also if you are going to buy the Tires from the Installer you will probably need to Order them if you want "Good Tires"! My Tire dealer in Lebanon,Ohio,sells Maxxis! I take my HD Ramp so there is "NO Jacking"I have let other Members of FRF use my Ramp when they use this Dealer,if interested I will extend the same offer to you! Youroo!!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Are you going to buy the tires from the Installer or are you going to bring your "Own Tires"? This will make a difference! Also if you are going to buy the Tires from the Installer you will probably need to Order them if you want "Good Tires"! My Tire dealer in Lebanon,Ohio,sells Maxxis! I take my HD Ramp so there is "NO Jacking"I have let other Members of FRF use my Ramp when they use this Dealer,if interested I will extend the same offer to you! Youroo!!

Generous offer! I'm not that far from you. Right off of 71 at fields Ertel. Was planning on buying Goodyear Endurance tires online. Make any difference in tire brand at your dealer? Let me know! I'm at jdgump999@gmail.com. Thank you!!
Old 04-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Generous offer! I'm not that far from you. Right off of 71 at fields Ertel. Was planning on buying Goodyear Endurance tires online. Make any difference in tire brand at your dealer? Let me know! I'm at jdgump999@gmail.com. Thank you!!
Great just call "Walt Luti Tire" in Lebanon and see if they will Order your Tires,regardless of Brand! If all goes well just PM Me here on FRF and I will take the Ramp over in advance to Luti Tire! They balance the Tires and Torque the Wheels! Tell them you want Metal Valve stems also! Youroo!!
Old 04-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #7

I assume that place is fairly easy to get in/out of with a trailer?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #8

Oh and would they do the work if I did not buy the tires there?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #9

Answer to post 7 & 8! Semis drive in and out all the time! You will have to ask Them about Not Buying from them,But if it is like "Forest River Dealers that you don't buy from, the Line is Very LONG"! Youroo!!
Old 04-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #10

Thanks again. I'll give them a ring. Will PM you if this all works out.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #11

You should get you own tire ramp and learn how to use it... before you really need it on the road...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You should get you own tire ramp and learn how to use it... before you really need it on the road...

Good call. I have enough leveling blocks I could make one with, but a purpose built ramp is definitely the way to go.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Good call. I have enough leveling blocks I could make one with, but a purpose built ramp is definitely the way to go.

I have the black 'Tire Aid'.... I also added a 2x6 on the bottom, extended about 4 inches on each side, to get my unit a little higher. There are four bolts on the bottom that I attached through the 2x6 for better stability. Some 'Tire Aids' have the rubber on top to make higher.. some do not.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Tra...06&athena=true

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tire