Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
I just tow the TT for DW!
Originally Posted by pbrackney View Post
I'll take a look tomorrow at the payload.

I know the 4 bikes together weigh 140 lbs, bike trailer is 28 lbs, family members are at 535 lbs.
Not trying to be preachy or get in your business, as I am only trying to be helpful. Based on some of your comments in your posts, I wasn't sure if you were aware of your Expy's payload capacity or what kind of issues an overloaded TV can present, especially when pulling a TT the size of yours. Were you able to find your yellow sticker and verify your payload?

Just with the bike accessories and your family, you've eaten up 703 lbs of your available payload. Assuming your TT is loaded for travel at 8k lbs (but could be more with a family of 6), then your hitch weight is in the area of 1040 lbs (8k * 13%). I believe gas weighs around 6 pounds per gallon, so assuming a full tank in your Expy is 25 gallons, that's another 150 lbs (could be more as I have no idea how big your fuel tank is). So, when you are hitched and ready to leave, you're already at 1893 lbs of payload when you pull out of your driveway. And this does not include the dog, tools, firewood, kid's electronics, or any other camping supplies or cargo that may be in your Expy.

As mentioned, I had an '07 F150 with a payload capacity in the neighborhood of 1500 lbs (don't recall exactly now), and I would be shocked if your Expedition had a higher payload rating that my previous F150. When I ordered my new Windjammer last year, I didn't even wait for it to be delivered and hook it up to my F150 to see how it would perform. I bought the TV I wanted one day, and the very next day, we we went and ordered our WJ. Could my F150 with the 5.4L and 3.73 pull the Windjammer? With a towing capacity over 9k lbs, of course it could! But, I wasn't concerned about it pulling the weight, I was more concerned about it stopping the weight safely, if I ever got into a situation where I needed to stop or slow down abruptly. Knowing how I load down the back of my truck with firewood, camping chairs, grill, dutch ovens, inflatable kayak, EZ UP awning, sewer bucket, dog pen, etc., even with a family of 3, I knew I would be over my F150's payload capacity, not to mention I went from a TT with a 700 lb hitch weight, to a TT with a hitch weight over 1k lbs so that was 300+ lbs of additional payload as well.

Don't get me wrong, there are many folks who tow a TT the length and weight of yours and mine with a 1/2 ton, and without any issues, and they'll tell you that it "tows great" or "don't even know it's back there", and for most I am sure it does tow just fine. I would offer though that many of these folks are over their payload and don't know it, or are over their payload and don't care. I would also offer that most will never know the impact of being overloaded until it's too late. Ok, I am getting off my now.

Whatever you decide to do or not do, at least be informed, so you can make a knowledgeable decision. The first TV I bought to tow my previous TT was an '00 Expedition. However, I was uninformed about axle ratios and GVWR's, so I didn't understand why this big Expedition truck with a 6500 lb tow capacity struggled to tow my 6k lb Outback. I towed with this combo for a few trips over about 3 months, til I learned about axle ratios and GVWR's from good advice I recieved from others on various RV forums. After those 3 months, I sold the Expy, took a $900 loss, and bought my F150. Kind of an expensive lesson to learn, but worth it in the end.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
My 2003 expedition 4x4 5.4L has a GVWR 7300, payload 1615. GCWR 14500 and trailer weight range 0-8699. Maximum gross trailer weight 8850, maximum tongue weight 885. I have a 5400 TT dry weight, empty water tanks, minimal cargo in TV, 3 people and a dog. Equalizer hitch. How does this look for towing?

Tincup13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #23
I'm not sure I understand why stopping a trailer safely is an issue? My trailer has electric brakes with a controller that I have adjusted to where in a hard braking situation the trailer brakes are applied first.
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
K kamp no bad will taken at all. My payload is 1800. However your hitch weight is much more than mine due to your front kitchen. Especially once your are loaded. My tt hitch weight loaded at the scales was 796. TT weight is around 7400 give or take a few lbs with it loaded.

I feel very safe towing my TT. I can stop quickly without any issues. My new brake controller helps a lot with this. I love it.

I've been pulling TT for 16 years now and this TT pulls and stops better than any I have owned. Again thanks for the tips as I will continue to watch my hitch weight and TT weight.

Now I think we can move on.

Philip, DW, 3 DD, 1 DS, and Kadie our Dog
2013 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WTBS
2003 Ford Expedition 5.4 Liter with 3.73 Axle
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
48 Days of Camping Reserved for 2012
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote