Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Towing Question for 2016 27rkss

My husband and I are really looking at a Wildwood 2016 27rkss. My husband is concerned that it is too long and too close to the towing capacity of his 2008 1500 Silverado.

I do know that his truck is a 4wd and that the owners manual states that the towing capacity is 7500 lbs.

Do any of you have any experience or advice that you wouldn't mind sharing? This is our first camper so we are learning as we go. Would his truck be able to safely pull this travel trailer?

Thanks so much!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

I have a trailer that has a dry weight of 6400lbs and I have not had it weighed with everything in it ready to camp yet. I tow with a 07 Silverado 1500 with a max tow of 7500. It will tow it but it isn't going to do well at all in the hills or mountains. I'm sure that I am over my payload and I really need a bigger truck. However until that happens I do tow it and I tow it often. I just take it easy and understand that I'm not running a race. One thing to note is that it is always important to load the trailer correctly but I feel that it is much more a priority because of the weight with this trailer. My old trailer weighed 5000lbs. The 1400lbs is a huge difference in power and handling.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #3

the wildwood you are looking for was the one we was looking for in case we couldn't find the Vibe with the same floorplan.
First of all- what is the dry weight of this camper? I know the wildwood is heavier than the vibe with the same layout even though it has no outside kitchen and some other things due to aluminum frame and fiberglass siding.
my truck has a tow capacity of ~8000#. The Vibe has 6500# dry and ~7500 loaded. I have zero problems with towing. I don't even feel it behind me.
The Wildwood is a little heavier (as far as I remember, the dry weight is around 7000# and you have to add what you want to load. you will be probably around 8000# loaded (I'm guessing.)
I test drove the Silverado and think it has the capability to pull the trailer.
The point is, that your truck is probably also maxed out with payload, when you just put some necessities in the bed.
With my RAM 1500 and Hemi, I had no doubt and would had bought it, if my camper would had not been available. With the Silverado...without wanting to destroy dreams...- you're on the very edge and need to know by yourself, if you want to risk it and you will probably end up getting a new (er) truck, which is capable to handle it well.
Like already mentioned- there are other models from FR with the same floorplan (example Vibe and Vibe extreme light - I just use this as example because there I know it), which are more light weight, but maybe a little pricier. In your case, if you want this floorplan- which I truly understand, because we wouldn't had bought anything else, I would look for a lighter version if you don't want to change the truck in the long run.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #4

The Dry Weight is 6355 with a Cargo Weight of 1327.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the numbers- now it's easy to say: yep. I would do it.
you're just under 7500 in normal condition- just leave the freshwater tank empty and you should be good.
make sure the shocks at the truck are good (not a big deal to fix them- should not be more than $150 for some Heavy Duty shocks and your husband can do it on his own- per shock 2 bolts. The trailer has probably a high tongue weight ~900#. when you buy tires the next time- take the e-rated ones. just for safety.
invest in a good 4-point weight distribution hitch- I went through them normal ones and the 4 point is just genius. If you take the price for the normal 2-point plus sway bar, you're at the price for a good equ-i-lizer hitch. you should go with a 1200# hitch with this camper. you get them on Amazon for ~$600.00 +/-
never forget to put the transmission in tow mode and let it go easy and don't try to race others with their 2500 diesels. you will not win.
I would do it and see where it goes. I'm pretty sure, you will end up with a stronger truck in the long run- but this one will do it for now.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

Probably Shouldn't but here go's. I don't see how anyone can comment until we know the 08's payload numbers off of the door jamb sticker. The rear end ratio, the engine size, the factory hitch ratings, and the terrain you will be primarily towing in. Those along with does it have a factory tow package, transmission cooler, etc.

That's a lot of 30' box when the wind is blowing or you're fighting against it trying to roll down the interstate.

Can it do it is one thing. Will it be comfortable doing it is something completely different.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #7

CG12 - What is the CCC of your truck ? Will be listed on yellow sticker on drivers door frame! It will read something to the effect of passengers and gear should not exceed xxxx lbs.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #8

X2 with Mr H.
I just looked at that model and it is a rear kitchen unit with a big slide in the back half. I think a person would want to get that cargo number up and loaded forward. The max on the unit would now be approximately 7682 lbs. The tongue weight does not include propane bottles and battery yet.

Please do your research. In my opinion with what is known about the truck, I think you may be super close to a miserable ride.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #9

Wobbles, mrh
I know them trucks and when it's rated for this tow capacity, it can pull it. Like I stated borderline and the wish for more truck will come, but it works. I pulled 7000# with a 2007 ram and 4.7l v8. That's about the same. It worked but here I am with a new ram. I don't think, that they plan to cross the usa with it, rather than stay within a certain radius. Also, not everyone is a 100% professional freak, where the rig goes to the weight station, before you pull it 30 miles to the lake. Common sense. And they will figure out, what works and not.
In actually 90% the time I pull close to till slight overloaded and honestly, I don't care. The truck can handle it and don't feel underpowered.
Sorry to say, but sometimes it sounds like if you're not a oversize 150% super-duper camper, some might feel scared away. I work on vehicles all my life and know stuff, a lot of you don't. As long as it feels safe and staying within certain limits with little tolerance, you'll be fine. If I would listen to every advise ,I would not even have a camper. Just don't overdo it. That takes the fun out of it. I've seen worse on campgrounds and it worked obviously.
Sorry for the rant, but my answer is wit common sense. Trust me- they figure it out.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf65 View Post
Wobbles, mrh
I know them trucks and when it's rated for this tow capacity, it can pull it. Like I stated borderline and the wish for more truck will come, but it works. I pulled 7000# with a 2007 ram and 4.7l v8. That's about the same. It worked but here I am with a new ram. I don't think, that they plan to cross the usa with it, rather than stay within a certain radius. Also, not everyone is a 100% professional freak, where the rig goes to the weight station, before you pull it 30 miles to the lake. Common sense. And they will figure out, what works and not.
In actually 90% the time I pull close to till slight overloaded and honestly, I don't care. The truck can handle it and don't feel underpowered.
Sorry to say, but sometimes it sounds like if you're not a oversize 150% super-duper camper, some might feel scared away. I work on vehicles all my life and know stuff, a lot of you don't. As long as it feels safe and staying within certain limits with little tolerance, you'll be fine. If I would listen to every advise ,I would not even have a camper. Just don't overdo it. That takes the fun out of it. I've seen worse on campgrounds and it worked obviously.
Sorry for the rant, but my answer is wit common sense. Trust me- they figure it out.
I cannot argue with your logic.

Just seemed to me that the lady, the OP, was reaching out for reassurance about this choice. With only two posts, her first one stating that "My husband is concerned that it is too long and too close to the towing capacity of his 2008 1500 Silverado." and in her second post she posted the trailer specs that are advertised...

I am not the weight police but I did hear the OP asking for opinions regarding, is this ok? My take is inline with Mr H, No, do not do it, why, we do not know enough about the circumstances. Your recent cavalier post has a lot of assumptions regarding your take on the conditions the OP will be operating under.

More information from the OP would help us all answer her question. I am suspecting her husband does not like the standard salesman line about "It will tow anything on this lot".

Old 02-07-2017, 12:37 AM   #11

Campergirl:

First, make sure of your towing capacity is correct. My 2009 Silverado owners manual lists 99 different permutations (engine, transmission, cab size, bed size, etc.) of the 1500 with tow capacities of 4000 lbs to 12,000 lbs. So you can see that not all 1/2 ton pickups are created equal. You need to make sure you have the right tow capacity for your Silverado.

Second, ignore dry weights, they're for suckers. On the left front side of the trailer there will be a sticker listing the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). That's the number to use for trailer weight. You want this number to be less than your Silverado's tow capacity. Here's the sticker on my Mini Lite (GVWR = 6538 lbs):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Lite VIN sticker.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	129389

If you add up your quoted dry weight and cargo capacity, your GVWR will be around 7682 lbs, which is already over the 7500 lb tow capacity you stated. (My 2009 Silverado was also rated for 7500 lbs). I found a gross weight of 7720 lbs here:

http://www.funtownrv.com/product/new...rkss-417859-29

Third, open the drivers door of your Silverado and look at the payload number. Here's a pic of my 2009, which was 1511 lbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160414_115541530.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	129390

This is what your Silverado can carry and includes any passengers, any "stuff," any dogs, and the weight of the trailer tongue and a weight distribution hitch (WDH), which you really will need with this rig. You probably don't yet know the tongue weight (ignore "dry tongue weight) until you actually weigh it. A good number to use is 15% of the GVWR, or 1152 lbs based on the GVWR of 7682 lbs.

So take your tongue weight (15% of GVWR), add 50-75 lbs for the WDH, then add all passengers, dogs, and stuff you'll put in the truck (don't count the driver, he's already accounted for). This number should be less than your payload number. And be advised that payload is usually what you go out on first, not tow capacity. With the potential tongue weight of 1152 lbs, plus 50 lbs for a WDH, if your payload is close to my 1511 lbs, that only leaves you with 302 lbs for passengers, dogs, and stuff. With the rear kitchen, you MIGHT have a lighter tongue, but I don't know.

IF your GVWR and payload numbers come in under the tow capacity and payload limit, you're good to go. Note however, that a lot of folks think you should have 15-25% margin to be "safe."

Of course, I don't really know your numbers, but based on what I've "guessed" above, I think you're already over on tow capacity and unless you don't carry much in the truck, you're almost certainly over your payload limit.

I looked at TT's this size when I bought my Mini Lite and did not feel comfortable pulling one with my 1500. I think you should look for a lighter trailer.

Here's a calculator that may help you:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Good luck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 02-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Wobbles, mrh

We do not know enough about the truck to make a NEAR accurate answer. Everyone is different, but I would never suggest someone to "figure it out" when there is a good possibility something may be unsafe or illegal.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #13

CaptnJohn- we know. she said it. and she's within the limits. but you will always find the one who wants to make a science out of it. use your brain and yeah- you'll figure it out. If you read, what I wrote- I even suggested to check for a more light weight trailer with the same setup.
It's just annoying, how particular some are here.
I go rather 200# over the limit with a 100% ok truck (good shocks, good tires, enforced springs, no knocked out bearings and rods) than 500# below in a piece of junk. They know their truck and I'm pretty sure, they're ok and after a few rides down to the lake, they will know, what to do.
When I'm unsure, I ask the place if I can hook it up to the truck and drive a round. That's when you see, if you're comfortable with it or not. It's the same like not everybody can handle it- I've seen people with stuff falling apart driving like a nascar driver and 100% in control- I also seen others with top noch equipment and was not even able to go in a pull through site with nothing around within 100 ft but a hook up pole. Math don't help in this case.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
CaptnJohn- we know. she said it. and she's within the limits. but you will always find the one who wants to make a science out of it. use your brain and yeah- you'll figure it out. If you read, what I wrote- I even suggested to check for a more light weight trailer with the same setup.
It's just annoying, how particular some are here.
I go rather 200# over the limit with a 100% ok truck (good shocks, good tires, enforced springs, no knocked out bearings and rods) than 500# below in a piece of junk. They know their truck and I'm pretty sure, they're ok and after a few rides down to the lake, they will know, what to do.
When I'm unsure, I ask the place if I can hook it up to the truck and drive a round. That's when you see, if you're comfortable with it or not. It's the same like not everybody can handle it- I've seen people with stuff falling apart driving like a nascar driver and 100% in control- I also seen others with top noch equipment and was not even able to go in a pull through site with nothing around within 100 ft but a hook up pole. Math don't help in this case.
Several posts here are stating we need more information regarding the proposed TV and you have made note that there is something wrong with that questioning and those that inquire are in some way are "annoying" and "particular". I think a little mild "science" explained to a newbie is good. It helps them make decisions and also helps them ask better questions.

My regret is that a new lady member came here looking for answers and if the lady member ever comes back, this thread has become divisive and confusing thanks to your repeated interjections proclaiming your world perspective and your self-imposed perspective on the OP's circumstances.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Several posts here are stating we need more information regarding the proposed TV and you have made note that there is something wrong with that questioning and those that inquire are in some way are "annoying" and "particular".
Hi Wobbles,,I guess we're just annoying for asking for some standard info?
That's exactly why I started my prior post with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Probably Shouldn't but here go's.
That was meant as "I should probably not jump in this thread" as opposed to telling the OP she shouldn't consider it. I now see I was 100% spot on and should not have even commented as I knew where it would go. Lesson learned..........again!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:07 AM   #16

I apologize to everyone I don't share the point of view and opinion (see signature ).
Professionally and as business to protect myself from lawsuits, and as self proclaimed protector of correctness, I would say the same.
But with common sense ( my opinion - see signature) , I say yes, it works. The truck is built for it and can be used for it. What y'all personally would do, well, that's your personal opinion (again, see signature).
But getting arrogant and sarcastic, proves my point.
And that's life. The one is only happy, when he built a house of stone, while he particularly checks the craftsman's work while standing in his shoes, the other don't care and is just happy to have a dry place to sleep. As many options there are in the middle, as many you have here. That's the reason, why not everyone has a $100k+ motorhome and sometimes you have to make compromises. As long as you aware, and respect it, you're fine. Like I said. There is a difference, if I'm a professional full time or just want to have fun a few miles down the road on the lake. The OP gave us the weight of the camper and the capacity of the truck. both fit- they can pull it. Btw- my neighbor pulls with his 97 Silverado his 8500# camper to the lake and wohoo- it works - since years. Actually the same Truck, like the OP has. I pulled with my 2007 RAM with 4.7L Magnum a 7500# camper to the lake for years- and wohoo- it worked too. Not in your mindset- but hey- at least I had fun. even though according your "advise" impossible.
I hope, you guys can say, you've done always everything correct. Not that one day, you look in the mirror and have to realize- what you see is a hypocat.

Just one question- are you an engineer? that would explain a lot. My advise in this case- get your nose out of the book and check reality- might help. I have to deal with that every day (even though I'm an engineer by my self) and just shake my head. Sometimes when you loose yourself in the detail, you forget the view to the whole picture.
My advise- buy a print from the French painter Monet. go right in front of it. you will see only dots. you can analyze each one of them, check, measure and count. The more you check, measure and count and try to use every formula you know- you will never figure out, what the heck it is. when you don't step back at least 6 feet, you will never find out, that every dot is part of a wonderful, beautiful picture. Actually my psychology professor (yes I also covered this field) did exactly this- it was a eye opener. Yes, I convinced many engineers I have to deal with this way to just step back. when I listen to you and others, all I see is, obviously everybody who wants to pull a camper needs a 3500 dually with powerstroke, duramax or cummins. I hope you understand one day. Let me know- I will welcome you with a warm heart to reality.

Bless your heart and have a wonderful day.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post

My regret is that a new lady member came here looking for answers and if the lady member ever comes back, this thread has become divisive and confusing thanks to your repeated interjections proclaiming your world perspective and your self-imposed perspective on the OP's circumstances.

Nuff Said...

Signed
Hypocat

Old 02-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #18

That's them Yankees for ya. Bless your heart too.

btw- just in case you wonder what limits the tow capacity- it's simply the cooling. Not the frame, not the axles not what ever.
I know, because I'm working with stuff like that professionally.

oh man- discussing with old men who stuck in 1954 is a pain.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #19

Quote:

btw- just in case you wonder what limits the tow capacity- it's simply the cooling. Not the frame, not the axles not what ever.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #20

Quote:

You're getting close to crossing the line, IMHO.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Closed Thread

Tags
towing