Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
Groovygirl79

Send a message via MSN to Groovygirl79
Unhappy Trailer Virgin with a 2009 T27BHSSLE

HELP PLEASE!!!
I bought my truck used from a Ford dealership for mothers day last year. I was told it had a towing package, but since there is no second radiator I can see at the front for the transmission, does this mean I don't have a towing package even though I have the trailer brakes, hitch and wire harness?
The reason I lead in with this is because I bought the holiday trailer for my birthday in March this year. I love the layout, I love that I can go off road with it, I love that I would't have to upgrade down the road, I love my trailer!! BUT... I just replaced the tranny in my truck this week and it makes be believe I can't tow the trailer. I've only towed it about 963 mikes, 1550 km since March.
When I bought it, I was told by the salesperson that yes my truck could tow it. It has always been sluggish, but it's a heavy ***** trailer, and having never towed an RV before, not really sure how easy it is supposed to be.
The truck GCWR is 12500 lbs, and when I scaled the truck and the trailer (with a full tank of H20) it weighed in at 13223 lbs.
Is there any tips on how I can beef up the towing capacity of my truck for my trailer without breaking my bank? Or is there tips on towing the trailer more effectively so I don't need to look at trading my trailer in, or getting a bigger truck?
HELP PLEASE!! Any and all advice is appreciated greatly!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #2

I believe all Ford trucks have a transmission radiator at the front, but I'm personaly not sure about trucks older than 2004. It should be down towards the bottom, centered in front of the large coolant radiator. The ones with the towing package will be located in the same place, just a little bigger.

As far as I know there are no after market add ons that will increase your tv's capacities outside of replacing axles, motor, suspension, etc.., more or less a new truck.

Since you bought your truck used, there is no telling how the previous owner treated the truck. That could be a contributing factor in having your transmission repaired, but you did state you're over your GVWR. That's never good because it will put extra strain on your whole drive train, brakes and so forth.

Again, as far as I know, you'll need to down size your tt or upgrade your tv.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27bhss, wildwood