Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
jgump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 147
Trailer Wheels Alignment- Have you ever seen this?

Question for everyone. We recently purchased a Wildwood 27RKSS and brought it home about a week ago and backed it up into the driveway for a week or two to stock it and hang out. One thing I've noticed is the the front wheels of the tandem wheels are a little skewed from the rear wheels. Do you believe this could be due to backing it up into the one side of the driveway and as the trailer "turned" into its final spot aligning with the edge of the driveway the wheels just "torqued" a little as I swung it into place? It's only an inch or so and it hasn't moved since, so I'm hoping that when we hook it up again to take to storage they'll straighten out. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks all

John
__________________

__________________
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
John, that's exactly what is happening.


2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
jgump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 147
Thanks Turbs! Do you think there's anything for me to be concerned about leaving it sit this way for now?


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 484
Leaving it puts unnecessary stress on the tires, wheels and bearings. Pull it forward until it straightens out and back up straight to the parking position.
__________________
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
jgump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Leaving it puts unnecessary stress on the tires, wheels and bearings. Pull it forward until it straightens out and back up straight to the parking position.

Thanks Phillyg. Once this snow melts in a couple days I'll do exactly that.
__________________
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Robbsails's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lenexa,
Posts: 110
I had a similar problem but I had a flat spot on one of my tires...come to find out one of the axels was a little cockeyed (3/4 in.) apparently a nut got loose and the Axel shifted a little. So after replacing the tire, I check it every so often!!! Good luck.
__________________
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 793
Two ways to address the issue. Hook up and pull straight forward, then straight back. Or, jack the wheels up on each side to allow the wheels to align. It is not wise to leave the tires/wheels contorted. Wheel torquing is a given when turning a tandem axle trailer. The tighter the turn, the more they torque.
__________________
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Two ways to address the issue. Hook up and pull straight forward, then straight back. Or, jack the wheels up on each side to allow the wheels to align. It is not wise to leave the tires/wheels contorted. Wheel torquing is a given when turning a tandem axle trailer. The tighter the turn, the more they torque.
I'm glad to read this thread because I've had this happen and was worried about the overloading the axles. I finally figured it out after noticing the trailer was in a torque condition when parked at a gas pump. They straightened up once I pulled forward. Thanks for input!!
__________________
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
moondog2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 154
This is some good information. I have to cut the trailer hard to get in my driveway and there was a lot of popping noise going on so I also noticed my trailers tires were torqued a little and not in line when I checked under my trailer.I guess I'll jack it up and take the load off.
__________________
05 Silverado Z71 4X4
2013 Forest River X-LITE
Days camped in 2017,36
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 323
Wheels oh wheels whare are you going

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgump View Post
Question for everyone. We recently purchased a Wildwood 27RKSS and brought it home about a week ago and backed it up into the driveway for a week or two to stock it and hang out. One thing I've noticed is the the front wheels of the tandem wheels are a little skewed from the rear wheels. Do you believe this could be due to backing it up into the one side of the driveway and as the trailer "turned" into its final spot aligning with the edge of the driveway the wheels just "torqued" a little as I swung it into place? It's only an inch or so and it hasn't moved since, so I'm hoping that when we hook it up again to take to storage they'll straighten out. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks all

John
Yes you are correct but to really answer your question in full, again yes you are correct that the wheels will move a ton while you backup and other times while turning the couch, BUT you are also on the correct track in your thinking that yes the "axles" on your trailer SHOULD be aligned and that is what a "correcttrack system does, many newer coaches come with it, and the dealer in most cases will not do anything with a new coach unless you ask, so if it did not come with the system and you plan to do a good amount of travel you should do the upgrade to save the tires, the suspension and the coach

Hope some of this helps and Happy Camping
__________________

__________________
B.Smith
2010 Cedar Creek Silverback 35ts
2001 GMC 2500HD w/ Allison & 8.1
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alignment, trailer, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.