Old 06-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If he has P rated tires on the TV, no hitch will eliminate the sway. He has to get LT LR D at a minimum on the TV. JMO
I'm sorry, but I disagree. With P tires there may still be side-to-side wiggle due to sidewall flex, but the design of these hitches project the pivot point forward to near the rear axle. This allows the truck to turn the trailer but not the other way around. Sway is eliminated.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #12

You could also add a away bar as well as the bags. It will help tighten up the rear of the truck.

http://www.etrailer.com/swaybars-2011_Ram_1500.htm

Old 06-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD and Beastlet View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree. With P tires there may still be side-to-side wiggle due to sidewall flex, but the design of these hitches project the pivot point forward to near the rear axle. This allows the truck to turn the trailer but not the other way around. Sway is eliminated.
IMO, the TV on P tires will be moved side to side by the trailer, which IMO is still sway and hard to control. You have to eliminate the sidewall flex to eliminate all sway.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #14
Usually Confused Member

I had "sway", meaning left/right movement, with the '14 Ram OEM tires. Replaced them with E-loads at 80 psi and all the movement disappeared. The problem was mostly from crosswinds and the turbulence generated by passing vehicles.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #15

I have a sway bar and cooper discoverer h/t plus tires

Marty, Carla, Gabby and our ankle biters Rocky and Addy
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4 Hemi 5.7
Forest River Wildwood 30KQBSS
Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, the TV on P tires will be moved side to side by the trailer, which IMO is still sway and hard to control. You have to eliminate the sidewall flex to eliminate all sway.
While the wind and passing vehicles may cause side-to-side wiggle on the truck and trailer as a unit, the Hensley and ProPride hitches prevent sway, period. I have towed two travel trailers with my ProPride since 2009 - the first with a Toyota Sequoia equipped with P-rated tires and an F-150 with LT tires, and the second with the same F-150. No sway. Ever.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #17
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
While the wind and passing vehicles may cause side-to-side wiggle on the truck and trailer as a unit, the Hensley and ProPride hitches prevent sway, period. I have towed two travel trailers with my ProPride since 2009 - the first with a Toyota Sequoia equipped with P-rated tires and an F-150 with LT tires, and the second with the same F-150. No sway. Ever.
The key word is "LT" tires. The truck has P tires, and even worse probably Goodyear SRA. Doesn't make a difference what hitch you use or how much you spend. Until those tires go away you're going to have sway.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
the-the-the- The GRINCH!

Quote:
But, have you used the Equalizer on any of your set-ups? If not, I would be hard pressed to just ditch the Equalizer and go with the Hensley if I were the OP. It would be nice if someone had experience with both and a comparable TV as the OP to give a good representation.
Think I would have to be on the side of getting LT tires. On my previous set-up, I was definitely going to LT tires on the Nissan Armada to eliminate my sway. Sidewalls flexed to much with regular passenger tires.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #19

Truck Rear End Sway While Towing

JD, the truck bed is moving, OP said nothing of trailer sway. This is a truck problem, not a hitch problem.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

The tires on the truck start the sway and the trailer aggravates it. Don't believe it, tow a 5er on P tires and then on LT LR D or E tires. 5ers normally have no sway until you try to tow on P tires. I experienced it first hand.

Tags
sway, towing, truck