Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Question TV Antenna Reception and Internal cabling???

Hi all, I have a brand new 2012 Wildwood Lodge 392QBBS.

I have a few questions regarding the TV and it's use. The DVD works great but that is all I have managed to get working. I have no intention of hooking to park or satelite connection but I would like to see what I get for free air TV channels. I have read through all the documentation that came with the trailer package and unless I nodded off and missed something I don't see any diagrams on the trailer antenna/multitude of audio/video/cable jacks throughout the trailer.

I assume the antenna is connected and when I push the boost switch on behind the door and I try selecting unknown channels and turning the antenna to unknown directions, I have so far not been able to get even the slightest hint of a signal. Am I missing something? Others in the park get signals but I didn't want to get them in playing with my new stuff until I know more myself.

Secondly, do any of you happen to know if it the back bedroom wall jacks connect to the entertainment system enabling a DVD in it to play on a screen in the back? Do I need a jumper somewhere or is it impossible? Would be a nice feature if it could .

If I can sort out what I have on basic TV reception I will then try the "Jack" digital antenna add-on. Anyone have one of these?

Thanks for any information .
Kemo
Kemosabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #2

And yes I did find the TV, entertainment system and antenna manuals but nothing says anything about where all the cables in the trailer are connected to at each end and how to switch things. There is an audio input/output and 4 position switch behind the door beside the antenna booster switch but again I have nothing that tells how to use them.

Kemo
Old 08-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #3

Did you scan for channels? Would be a great help if you listed the TV type and model. On my Toshiba I have to select menu and then go thru the list to select Antenna, Digital Stations and then run a scan every time I disconnect power.

2011 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel
2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite 831 FKBSS
Fleet of Canoes and one Kayak
So Many Rivers so Little Time!
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ster-9994.html

This thread has all you need. Some files are attached here for your convenience.

King Controls Jack TV For Free OA8000 VHF UHF Amplified TV RV Antenna (OA-8000) from Solid Signal
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sensar Antenna and Amp Plate.pdf (1.06 MB, 206 views)
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: pdf Protractor used to align TV antenna.pdf (219.7 KB, 101 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #5

Thanks so much Herk for the attachments, I will look through those. I will get the TV brand name this weekend when in the trailer.

The 26" TV that came with the trailer was already mounted in the cabinet above the fireplace, I just assume that the antenna is connected to it??? I thought I would just have hit the antenna power switch and set the TV to antenna input, but I still couldn't get anything will turning the natenna to different positions and changing to random channels. I checked the antennapoint.com site but it must just be USA as it didn't come up with any results for areas around Ottawa Ontario, Lanark to be specific.

Kemo
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #6

Kemosabi...you do have a converter box right? You need to run the RV antenna to the converter box then from the converter to the TV.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Do you have TV Guide or the equivalent in Canada?

There is a cool iPhone and iPad app that points to the closest antennas and the TV guide app gives you the broadcast channels. They will be like 5.3 or 12.8 etc.

The iPhone app is called TV towers and I use TV guide Mobile for the other app.

With a compass and a map you can plot a course from your camper to the broadcast tower fairly easily, Then aim your antenna there.

Remember with the Winegard the white plastic box is the "pointer" or "nose of the aircraft." It MUST point to the tower you want to watch. The "wings" are like aircraft wings and are 90 degrees to the tower.

ALWAYS do a channel search after turning the antenna for the best fine tuning of the maximum channels.

Not sure about the "Jack" though.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #8

Converter box for what? I just want to pick up free air antenna TV, not satelite or cable signal. Are you referring to a converter being what is used to convert the cable tv or satelite signal to tv?

Kemo
Old 09-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #9

Herk are saying there should be a channel option on my TV remote? I think the tv brank was something like Danka or similar to that if I recall???? When I was playing with it trying to get things working I didn't run across a scan option that I noticed.

Kemo
Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
Kemosabi...you do have a converter box right? You need to run the RV antenna to the converter box then from the converter to the TV.

Kemosabi has a 2012 Wildwood, so I would think the TV should have the digital tuner.

Kemosabi, have you tried many of the suggestions made so far ??

Make sure the booster button is pushed in and the booster light is on.

Raise the antennae, and do a channel search with your TV. You may need to get out the directions on the TV to see how to properly do that while hooked to antennae.

Rotate the antennae 120° (~1/3), and do an "add" channel search. Rotate the antennae 120° the other way from the neutral position, and again do a "add" channel search.

If you have OTA TV channels in your area and those steps don't work, then there may be a cable connection problem that either you or the dealer need to check out.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

You only need a Analog to Digital converter if your TV is old and that is not the case for you I believe.

Nearly all TV stations broadcast digital in US and Canada now.

Your remote should have a decimal point on it or a dash to make the channel fractions appear. Like 12.8

Do you have the TV manual?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #12

"Kemosabi has a 2012 Wildwood, so I would think the TV should have the digital tuner."

This is an assumption and you know what that does. Best check it.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
"Kemosabi has a 2012 Wildwood, so I would think the TV should have the digital tuner."

This is an assumption and you know what that does. Best check it.
Good Point.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #14

Thanks, I'll try everything I can as soon as I am back in the trailer.

Kemo
Old 09-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #15

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Update:

I found the problem. I took the back cabinet plate off behind the entertainment system and did some wire tracing (yes, tonnes of wires). What I found was that the antenna wire came to the back side of one of the male coax jacks on the power booster wall plate and that the TV distribution splitter input came from the other male coax jack off the same wall plate (you got it, no connection between them). So I put a jumper on the two jacks and there was the picture.

Sure would have been nice to know at the beginning. Again I'm not sure why there isn't any wiring diagrams or instructions on what the wall plate jacks inside and outside the trailer are and how to use them.

On another note, the second thing I did following the channel scan and review of my available air channel feeds (4 located, 1 pretty clear, 3 not so much) was I went up on the roof with the "Jack" antenna upgrade and did the two minute switch. I quickly removed the 2 snap rings off the mounting pins below the head of the existing winegard antenna, pulled the two pins, unscrewed the coaxial cable and removed the winegard antenna. I then mounted the bracket that comes with the new antenna to the head of the new antenna underside, 4 screws. I then placed the head of the new "Jack" antenna over the existing two square tube antenna mounting arms (nose of the "Jack" facing the direction of the pointing dial in the trailer) and lined up and inserted the two mounting pins I had removed earlier, snapped the rings back on and did up the coax (after putting the water proofing gel and boot cover over the coax connector, not manditory but recommended).

I went down, pointed the antenna, turned on the power booster (didn't need the one that came with the new antenna) and did a new channel scan. I picked up 2 additional channels and all came in digital high definition. Wow!!!!! All that have had a look at the campgroind are really impressed, they thought I had satelite TV and one guy said he is considering it for at home!!!!

So things are good and it all worked out.

Kemo
Thanks again for sharing in this post.

Happy camping!!!

Tags
antenna