Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #1

Upgrade Propane Tanks 2018 Wildwood 230 BHXL

Is it easy to upgrade from the 2 20 lbs. tanks of propane to 30 lbs. tanks?
Mike
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #2

Tanks should drop right in. #1...are the hoses long enough ? 30's are taller and #2...will the cover fit back on ? again...tanks are taller. Otherwise...piece of cake.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
"On the road again"

First, I would wonder if the existing hoses would reach high enough to connect to the taller tanks - if not, you'd be replacing those as well as the tanks.

Then, what about the plastic (or PVC) cover - would you be able to find a suitable replacement cover for the taller tanks?

Otherwise, I believe you'd be OK since they are both 12.16 inch diameter, it's just that the 30 pound is going to be about six inches taller.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
First, I would wonder if the existing hoses would reach high enough to connect to the taller tanks - if not, you'd be replacing those as well as the tanks.

Then, what about the plastic (or PVC) cover - would you be able to find a suitable replacement cover for the taller tanks?

Otherwise, I believe you'd be OK since they are both 12.16 inch diameter, it's just that the 30 pound is going to be about six inches taller.
Looks like we both covered it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Looks like we both covered it.

Yessir - and posted at the exact same time.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #6

2018 230 bhxl

Thanks for the comments.
Mike
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #7

M -
Just a comment from someone who has only been in it for 3 years and take lots of long weekend trips and occasional week long, dry camping.... using gas 100% for fridge, water heating, and minimal inside cooking.... Very Very minimal gas heating..... 2x20s of propane lasts me a very long time. I wouldnt myself see changing to 30's a big advantage and 20's easier to handle. Sure you have your own reasoning and different habits.

I also take along a 3rd 20 for other things.... Fire pit, outdoor cooker... lanturns...

I also occasionally get in a situation where I cant find a refilling place and end up exchanging. dont recall being able to exchange 30's.

Just fyi
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #8

I would agree with all the previous comments and assuming the newer models aren't different than the 2016 230bhxl I can say for certain the regulator hose will not reach 30lb tanks as its tight just getting to the 20. Also, agree on the need as I boondock and have also even ran my fridge regularly even when I have electric hookups and I can go a month plus on the 20s. Lastly, I have also been in the situation where I did need a refill and the only place between destinations only did tank swaps so a 30lb would have been a problem.

The only real advantage you will have is if you are cold weather camping regularly as you would have to be running the furnace day in and day out to take the tanks down that fast.
Fargo, ND
Hekdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank, upgrade, wildwood