Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #1

Warranty When did yours begin after purchasing?

Just purchased a Forest River Wildwood and the dealership says the warranty started the day I put a deposit on it, is this the norm? I am storing it at the dealership for the winter so being in VT my first time out might be late April early May so it will be unused for 5-6 months some guidance would be awesome!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #2

With any RV purchase I've ever been involved with the warranty period did not begin until I accepted the unit and its title had been transferred into my name. Placing a deposit on a unit should not begin the warranty period as the unit has not been transferred since you don't own it yet. A quick call to Forest Rivers Warranty department will get you a the definitive answer.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
Just purchased a Forest River Wildwood and the dealership says the warranty started the day I put a deposit on it, is this the norm? I am storing it at the dealership for the winter so being in VT my first time out might be late April early May so it will be unused for 5-6 months some guidance would be awesome!
Read this as it was intended- with no ill-will or angst. I feel like you've said 2 different things.

1) You put a deposit on it. To me, a deposit is a short-term thing to hold a specific unit until you can arrange full financing or purchase agreement.

2) You bought it and are storing it. It's very common to buy a unit in fall and have them sit unused until spring (and your warranty period ticking away that whole time).

What contract do you actually have with this dealer for this unit? Whose name is the title in?
Old 10-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #4

I would think that the warranty would start when you close the deal, and take delivery of the unit. A deposit just holds the unit until financing or payment is completed. Technically you could still back out of the deal. But if you have made a deposit, it will not take the dealer more than a couple of days to arrange financing. So total time difference will probably may be a week . I know its bad not being able to use the unit for several months, I purchased my Windjammer in December, and it was not used till May. Just gives you time to set it up, which does take some time especially if you were a newbe like me. Good luck with your unit, there was so much info on the PDI that I got lost, this site if a wealth of great info from the pros, don't hesitate to use it.

Chuck "still in Va "
Old 10-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #5

First off the dealer/owner and I were a bit contentious I could buy the same unit for a lot cheaper in Buffalo NY which is 6 hrs away from us but having lived there for 52 of my first 55 yrs and having a daughter who still lives there and is getting married next spring the wife and I go there often. That being said all I wanted is for him to get close to the price because I wanted to be able to get service closer to home and he is also 2 hrs away. So we agreed on a price after putting a deposit on it over the phone we wanted to go see the actual unit (we had seen the one in Bflo) that took us a couple weeks as we both still have to work odd hrs. I believe because he had to lower his price he is just trying to be difficult doing things like not filling the propane tanks, not giving us the chincy sewer hose etc. Only reason I was going to store it there was I assumed the warranty wouldn't start till we picked it up.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

With that description, I don't feel like your warranty should start when you put the deposit down, but I also don't feel like the dealer should have to wait until you take possession of the unit in spring to begin the warranty. When you go in and sign papers/close the deal is when the warranty starts (it's not yours before then).
Old 10-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
With that description, I don't feel like your warranty should start when you put the deposit down, but I also don't feel like the dealer should have to wait until you take possession of the unit in spring to begin the warranty. When you go in and sign papers/close the deal is when the warranty starts (it's not yours before then).
I agree! Again I just think its the owner being a putz.

Tags
warranty