Old 07-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

Water pump, hot water tank

I noticed on my control panel I have a switch for hot water tank and water pump, when I'm camping do these switches stay on or only when I use them? Thanks.

eric248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
PPST Wannabe

As far as your hot water tank...

Is your tank both electric and propane or just propane only? If propane only, you need to have it on for a period in order to make the water hot. It will cycle on and off to keep the water hot for when you need it. If you have the electric option also, you may find a switch inside the outside door to the water tank which needs to be on when hooked up to electricity. Again, it will cycle on and off to make the water hot for usage.

The water pump switch only needs to be in the on position when you want/need water.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #3

In order to conserve propane I keep my hot water heater turned off, then turning it on a half hour before I expect to need it. This obviously depends on how often you need hot water.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Both of these items are highly opinionated on this forum.

Some only turn on the switches when they need them and others turn them on and leave them on. There's lots of discussion about this subject if you search.

The only thing I'll add is... if you are hooked to city water you do not need the water pump switch on.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #5

Thanks everyone
eric248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

"if you are hooked to city water you do not need the water pump switch on. "

Almost always correct; however if the water pressure where you are staying is "wonky" (fluctuates - like potentially the International Rally fields), we recommend putting some water in your fresh water tank and leaving the water pump on while using the water manifolds. The pump should not run at all.

However, if the city water pressure drops due to a large demand on the "relatively" small diameter source hose, your water pump will come on at its set pressure and save your shower. When the city water pressure stabilizes, your pump will shut off and stay off.

As to the water heater, we almost never use the electric element. The electric side does not have as fast a recovery time as the propane side. If you have folks who do not understand "Navy Shower", I turn both on for the little bit of extra BTU the element can provide for faster water heat recovery.

As mentioned, everyone has an opinion on this.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
"if you are hooked to city water you do not need the water pump switch on. "

Almost always correct; however if the water pressure where you are staying is "wonky" (fluctuates - like potentially the International Rally fields), we recommend putting some water in your fresh water tank and leaving the water pump on while using the water manifolds. The pump should not run at all.

However, if the city water pressure drops due to a large demand on the "relatively" small diameter source hose, your water pump will come on at its set pressure and save your shower. When the city water pressure stabilizes, your pump will shut off and stay off.

As to the water heater, we almost never use the electric element. The electric side does not have as fast a recovery time as the propane side. If you have folks who do not understand "Navy Shower", I turn both on for the little bit of extra BTU the element can provide for faster water heat recovery.

As mentioned, everyone has an opinion on this.
I understand that Herk but I'm reluctant to give that advice to newer folks looking for simple answers. With so many reports of water pump check valves allowing the fresh tank to fill up, advising folks to turn on the water pump when hooked to city water might... just might... create unwanted problems.

Once people learn the nuances of low city water pressure (like at a rally) and what it takes to keep all things going, then it may be time to throw all the 'however' things at them.

Everyone has an opinion so thanks for pointing it out.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

You are right.

If there is crud in the cold water lines (usually from draining the water heater through the low point drains instead of isolating it and using the outside drain like the manual says), cycling the city/pump, can trap particles of heater anode in the check valve causing it to leak back to the fresh tank.

That is why using both is not normally recommended.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, pump, tank, water, water pump, water tank