Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #1

What Next!

My wife and I have been camping and RV'ing for years. So after year's of used camper's and lots of fun and good times... we bought our first New 2017 "Wildwood X-lite 24' QBXL. Last year it spent 5 months in the shop, ie. decals pealing off. one light switch not working. This year A/C went out. I called a mobile service guy. Now "dometic" only wants to pay 1/2 of the cost Because I went outside the network. They said it only takes 1/2 you replace the part. They don't pay to trouble shoot the A/C..I guess they know there using bad parts.. Now the Water Heater isn't working and last week while driving through South Dakota. The hood over the range vent went missing. All this with about 5000 miles on the unit. Now this is all covered under the Warranty, Right? I'm finding out it's not covered in full..
Timberking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #2

the warranty is one year from the date of purchase and I believe it has lots of small print and loop holes so they can cover what they wish.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberking View Post
My wife and I have been camping and RV'ing for years. So after year's of used camper's and lots of fun and good times... we bought our first New 2017 "Wildwood X-lite 24' QBXL. Last year it spent 5 months in the shop, ie. decals pealing off. one light switch not working. This year A/C went out. I called a mobile service guy. Now "dometic" only wants to pay 1/2 of the cost Because I went outside the network. They said it only takes 1/2 you replace the part. They don't pay to trouble shoot the A/C..I guess they know there using bad parts.. Now the Water Heater isn't working and last week while driving through South Dakota. The hood over the range vent went missing. All this with about 5000 miles on the unit. Now this is all covered under the Warranty, Right? I'm finding out it's not covered in full..
Can you go back to the dealer where you bought it from? I would be the guy that shows up everyday right as they opened if I did'nt get what I wanted and rightfully deserved.

If you end up having to pay to have the AC fixed I would for sure call Forest River and have a conversation with them, see what they think.

2016 Ford Lariat F250 Super Duty
2016 Heritage Glen 337BAR
mboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

I believe that Dometic comes with a 2 year warranty? I know mine did.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
I believe that Dometic comes with a 2 year warranty? I know mine did.
Oh it does if you go to the dealer. But when your AC goes out here in Texas, and you're leaving in two days. If I call the dealer it's 6 to 8 weeks to get you in. Then 30 days to check and make sure it's under warranty month before they look at it. 2 months before the parts come in and 8 weeks to fix it 3 weeks Before they call you. That's the way Fun Town RV here in Texas works.. "Sell it and forget it"
Dometic only pays for the part and 1/2 hour to install the part. They don't pay for the time it takes to trouble shoot. I guess it the same part days after day for them..
Timberking
Old 08-30-2018, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboatwright View Post
Can you go back to the dealer where you bought it from? I would be the guy that shows up everyday right as they opened if I did'nt get what I wanted and rightfully deserved.

If you end up having to pay to have the AC fixed I would for sure call Forest River and have a conversation with them, see what they think.
I did that. Forest River said I have to deal with Dometic, Case closed. They could care less.

Timberking
Old 08-30-2018, 11:15 PM   #7

Sorry about your problems. You stated you were leaving in 2 days when your ac went out. You knew as most of us do you could not get it into any shop probably on that short of notice. So you called a mobile tech, which I would have done. Your only problem you did not ensure they were an authorized Dometic service company. Usually you can ask the mobile tech if they are an authorized Dometic service company and they will tell you if they are what their warranty/payment process is. If not, just call Dometic with your SN and problem and they will tell you who is close to you authorized to work on the unit.

My dealings with Dometic in the past have been easy and very helpful.

After the fact, who knows. You can’t take your new car to anybody and then expect the new car company pay for the repairs.

Next question, how does a hood vent disappear? It was not laying on the floor in the RV? Or are you talking about the flapper vent on the outside of the unit?

Hey stuff is going to happen. Your unit is now over a year old now so it is out of warranty so just fix the stuff and start enjoying camping again....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:45 PM   #8
Coach

I know it can be disheartening having all these problems, but you have to keep in mind that these things are basically houses on wheels. There's no doubt they aren't constructed as well as they could be, but they do suffer substantial amounts of abuse as well. Subject to sun, wind, rain, and snow. Plus even if you're a slow driver like myself, you still get that unexpected bump every once in a while that just jars your spine. Suspension can only help so much. Keep your chin up. It should get better.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
I know it can be disheartening having all these problems, but you have to keep in mind that these things are basically houses on wheels. There's no doubt they aren't constructed as well as they could be, but they do suffer substantial amounts of abuse as well. Subject to sun, wind, rain, and snow. Plus even if you're a slow driver like myself, you still get that unexpected bump every once in a while that just jars your spine. Suspension can only help so much. Keep your chin up. It should get better.
Valleyduo, Like your tag line... I’ve always said “I cut it 3 times and it’s still to short but if it’s to short I can always spice it. If it’s too long there not a thing I can do with it.”

Old 08-31-2018, 08:03 AM   #10

Whats most disheartening is Fun Town's "sell it and forget it attitude". Now the a/c is fixed. What's next? I'm replacing the Ignition Control Circuit Board for Suburban Water Heater.
Most things I'm able to fix myself. But there some are due to quality control at the forest river plant..
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Sorry about your problems. You stated you were leaving in 2 days when your ac went out. You knew as most of us do you could not get it into any shop probably on that short of notice. So you called a mobile tech, which I would have done. Your only problem you did not ensure they were an authorized Dometic service company. Usually you can ask the mobile tech if they are an authorized Dometic service company and they will tell you if they are what their warranty/payment process is. If not, just call Dometic with your SN and problem and they will tell you who is close to you authorized to work on the unit.

My dealings with Dometic in the past have been easy and very helpful.

After the fact, who knows. You can’t take your new car to anybody and then expect the new car company pay for the repairs.

Next question, how does a hood vent disappear? It was not laying on the floor in the RV? Or are you talking about the flapper vent on the outside of the unit?

Hey stuff is going to happen. Your unit is now over a year old now so it is out of warranty so just fix the stuff and start enjoying camping again....
It's the outside hood that covers the the outside vent..Yes the flapper vent cover.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberking View Post
It's the outside hood that covers the the outside vent..Yes the flapper vent cover.
I would not worry about the flapper vent cover on the outside. I have opened mine on all the RVs I’ve owned and never closed them again. Some people worry about bugs getting in, well they can get in in multiple places.

I hope you get your other issues resolved. It usually takes a year or two to get the kinks worked out, much like a big boat, but nor as expensove!