Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #31
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
OC: Do you agree with some of the others that raising and lowering the trailer with the x-chocks on could over-stress the undercarriage? I am not saying they are wrong; just wondered how you do it. I don't use additional chocks with the x-chocks, so obviously I already have them on and tight when I unhook, which sometimes involves quite a bit of raising the nose to get the equalizer on or off. Thanks.

Raising and lowering the tongue on my camper trying to unhook/hookup the Equalizer is where I first noticed it and figured out that there was quite a bit of torsional stress being transmitted forward because of the X-Chocks. Try using a wheel chock behind/infront of your wheels instead of X-Chocks and hook/unhook and you will notice the difference, it is very noticeable.

As for over-stressing, I am not sure that was ever said, not sure how we could even quantify an over stress? What I am suggesting tho, is if you pay attention, you will see it and you will realize that it is probably not good to do it too much so, I got some rubber chocks to hold camper in place until level or for hitching ops. I too bought the heavy rubber ones from Harbor Freight. (beware tho, they spent the first few weeks after being purchased doing some serious off-gassing, I guess they were still fresh, I would NOT recommend storing them inside a trailer storage compartment unless you like the smell of freshly minted Chinese rubber)

RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #32
Mod free 5er
As I stated before, been using the X chocks for 6 yrs and raising and lowering the front of the trailers with them installed with no problems. Don't believe there is as much stress on the trailer than what it is subjected to on the highways, etc.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #33
with the wheels locked, wouldn't the springs and hangers absorb that movement? Were only talking jacking up or down several inches, not feet, unless you pick some really bad sites

David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote