Old 09-02-2017, 06:22 AM   #1

Wheel Comes Completely Off While Driving!!

So I am pulling my Heritage Glen 272BH for the Labor Day weekend and I began to notice the camper slightly tilted to one side. I don't have a TPMS system, so I began to suspect one or more tires is losing air. When I was able, I pulled over at a gas station. When I walked around and looked, my jaw almost hit the pavement. One of the tires was gone. I never saw or felt a thing.

The studs were completely sheered off from the drum. A local dealer had repacked my bearings just a few weeks earlier and this was my first trip since then. I immediately called them and explained the situation. They immediately launched a mobile tech who arrived a few hours later (awful traffic for Labor Day weekend adding to frustration). Anyway, he replaced the drum, repacked the bearings, put on a new tire, and checked all of the other tires.

The dealership service manager asked for a photo of the drum which I emailed. He owned it and apologized for the situation. After my trip, he requested I bring it by. He said they would order a new rim that matches the existing rims and a tire (Goodyear Endurance that I had recently installed). The mobile tech was also going to request a new fender skirt.

I hope the tire that came off just went down in the embankment. I was mostly on the interstate in slower traffic in the right lane. I'm surprised no one saw it and waved me down.

Anyone else ever see or deal with this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.jpg
Views:	1313
Size:	539.8 KB
ID:	150358

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	1270
Size:	573.2 KB
ID:	150359

spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #2

Looks to me like they torqued the lug nuts too tight and fractured the studs.

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #3

Looks to me they were Loose! Youroo!!
Old 09-02-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
Camper

I have only witnessed a wheel come off a vehicle a few times, most recently last month. Never on a trailer other than pictures in the forums.

I have only read that most seem to point to over torqueing as the root cause of sheared off studs like in the pictures. I do not know this to be factual or what other causes there may be.

As for under torqueing, I have experienced that first hand. I had a front right tire on a car once make an awful clicking noise on turns. Turned out to be loose lug nuts. Studs were damaged but not sheared off flush. I am not saying under torqueing could not cause shearing, just my single experience.

Glad to hear your dealer is making in right and most importantly, you are all safe!

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:44 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We'll likely never know the exact cause but it reinforces the fact of checking lug nut torque on a regular basis (especially after a repair or maintenance) and the importance of a TPMS.

To the OP... plan on replacing the tire that carried the entire load on that side for however long you had driven after losing the wheel/tire. It has likely been compromised.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Looks to me they were Loose! Youroo!!
X2
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped:2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #7

Wheel Comes Completely Off While Driving!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We'll likely never know the exact cause but it reinforces the fact of checking lug nut torque on a regular basis (especially after a repair or maintenance) and the importance of a TPMS.

To the OP... plan on replacing the tire that carried the entire load on that side for however long you had driven after losing the wheel/tire. It has likely been compromised.

Thanks. Didn't think of that. I will advise the service manager.

Based on the photos, the service manager believed the tire was over torqued.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #8

The neatness of the shears makes me think over-torquing. I would think that under-torquing would cause the kind of damage that repeatedly bending a paper clip back and forth would: signs of bending and a jagged break.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
Site Team

The shearing is usually caused by the wheel, as it cuts(shears) the studs off.

As others have pointed out, the wheel studs could have been undertorqued, which allowed the wheel to become loose from the hub, then it sheared the studs off.

Or, the stud(s) could have been overtorqued, which one or more studs either broke off (or lost it's stud spring tension), then you had a cascading failure. Losing one or more studs allowed the wheel to move and it sheared off the wheel studs, just like in an undertorque situation.

You many times see the same sheared studs in the end, whether it was due to overtorquing or undertorquing as the initial cause, once the entire wheel leaves the trailer.

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
The neatness of the shears makes me think over-torquing. I would think that under-torquing would cause the kind of damage that repeatedly bending a paper clip back and forth would: signs of bending and a jagged break.

And that that under-torquing damage would be evident on at least one bolt, but ALL five were sheared.

eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel