Old 02-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker777 View Post

We currently have the Interstate DP-24 (Group 24) battery, and I want to buy an Optima group 31 AGM battery to wire in parallel with the existing battery.

I know I've read how some people say you MUST have the exact same battery Wired in parallel, and others who said it wasn't a big deal.

Now to my question: can this stock converter I have charge by the lead acid battery I have now AND the AGM battery I am planning to add, if they are wired in parallel?

Thanks in advance!
Here are some thoughts for you since you are considering two 12-volts in different types of batteries (AGM/Lead-acid) as well as two different capacities (group 31 and 24).

Charge rates: Usually, the charge rates are different with different batteries and your converter will not be able to charge both effectively if charged at the same time. One or the other will be short-changed I suspect and this can lesson its life span

Capacity - I also suspect that two different batteries with different capacities will result in one discharging quicker and eventually over discharging.

If you really need to use two different types (AGM and lead-acid) with two different capacities (group 31 vs 24), than I suggest that you install a battery switch/disconnect that will allow you to use one battery at a time and switch to the second battery as needed. Same thing when charging.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #12

your charger will charge both batteries whether it is Lead acid or Gel.
Like stated above though I would either run both Lead acid batteries or both Gel Batteries.
the only way around this might be with a Battery switch that seperates each battery
I know Blue Seas makes one cause I have been looking at possibly buying it.
Blue Seas PN 6011200
m-Series Battery Switch, Dual Circuit Plusô - PN 6011200 - Blue Sea Systems

this way you can charge each battery independant from each other or use them independant as well

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #13

Think outside the box just a little. The black box shown here is a Stanley tool box I bought from Wally World for about $35. Inside it are two DC-27 batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	load test 004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	10585  
Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Here are some thoughts for you since you are considering two 12-volts in different types of batteries (AGM/Lead-acid) as well as two different capacities (group 31 and 24).

Charge rates: Usually, the charge rates are different with different batteries and your converter will not be able to charge both effectively if charged at the same time. One or the other will be short-changed I suspect and this can lesson its life span

Capacity - I also suspect that two different batteries with different capacities will result in one discharging quicker and eventually over discharging.

If you really need to use two different types (AGM and lead-acid) with two different capacities (group 31 vs 24), than I suggest that you install a battery switch/disconnect that will allow you to use one battery at a time and switch to the second battery as needed. Same thing when charging.
Triguy, thanks for the response.

At this point I'm not able to buy 2 AGMs, and I would add another flooded battery, but the hydrogen gas seems to be a big deal if I put it inside, and the venting issue isn't one I've been able to tackle.

What if I purchased one of the 1/2/both battery switches that you see on boats? Then I could charge/discharge them separately or together? Not sure why I don't see those on RVs and only on boats.

Alternatively, what about having a separate charger for the AGM?

Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Triguy, thanks for the response.

At this point I'm not able to buy 2 AGMs, and I would add another flooded battery, but the hydrogen gas seems to be a big deal if I put it inside, and the venting issue isn't one I've been able to tackle.

What if I purchased one of the 1/2/both battery switches that you see on boats? Then I could charge/discharge them separately or together? Not sure why I don't see those on RVs and only on boats.

Alternatively, what about having a separate charger for the AGM?

Thanks again.
I agree with your concerns about venting and it can be done with modifications. Some on here have done it successfully, though, so you might want to look into that if you are willing to mod it up.

The Blue Seas switch that sherdep pointed to will meet your needs of switching between batteries and charging one at a time as needed. You can get it on amazon for $30. These are actually used quite a bit by RVers, too. Ggenerally those who have two 12 volts vs 6-volt banks. I use the 6006 because my batteries are two 6-volt in series.

You can use the converter/charger or a separate charger for the AGM, of course. I like the option to use a good smart charger. Personally, the WFCO converter I have is just OK but doesn't have the voltage for my Trojans so I always use a smart charger when at home.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 02-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #16

I presently use the 6006 and I have two 12v gel batteries but I am thinking about upgrading to the Blue Seas PN 6007200 - they also make it in red just a diffrent part number. so if I wanted to only have one battery at a time I could or use both batteries.

The part # above was the wrong one - this is the corrected part # 6007200
This one allows you to one battery at a time or both batteries at once which is the way to go if you decide to do two diffrent batteries
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Seas PN 6007200.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	10588  
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Will installing a single thirty pounder make more room vs two 20's
Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
The part # above was the wrong one - this is the corrected part # 6007200
This one allows you to one battery at a time or both batteries at once which is the way to go if you decide to do two diffrent batteries
Thank you. I will pick this up from Amazon. Just to make sure I understand; which battery terminal gets wired to this switch? Is it the positive terminal, or the negative?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thank you. I will pick this up from Amazon. Just to make sure I understand; which battery terminal gets wired to this switch? Is it the positive terminal, or the negative?

Thanks!

lol thats another whole debate on this forum .

I would use the positive .
Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
lol thats another whole debate on this forum .

I would use the positive .
X2 on positive.

Let the debate begin ...

2012 Shamrock 233S

Tags
battery