Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

Which Water Heater in 2010 22rbxl?

I have a 2010 WILDWOOD 22RBXL.. It has a tankless WH now.. I don't think it was a facotry install. Can someone tell me what kind and size of WH may have been in the unit.. Suburban.. or Adco? 6 or 10 gallon. Which one will fit?

thank you
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Chuck9997, can't really answer your question, but either will fit. Since you have the tankless, you may want a model that is both gas and electric. You should have power available. I'm sure the 6 gallon will fit, but would check the dimensions on a 10 gallon, especially if able to heat with electric. May take longer to get going, but can take a nice long shower.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck9997
I have a 2010 WILDWOOD 22RBXL.. It has a tankless WH now.. I don't think it was a facotry install. Can someone tell me what kind and size of WH may have been in the unit.. Suburban.. or Adco? 6 or 10 gallon. Which one will fit?

thank you
Was there a spot for the wh?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Was there a spot for the wh?
yes.. the door to the tankless WH (on the outside).. looks just like a regular WH. When you open the door.. the space looks the same as the 6 gallon WH I had in another RV.

I looked at some suburban WHs on the internet.. seems that the front of the Suburban 6 gallon is approx 13 X 13. Thats the same size as the front door (and opening) on my tankless WH. And thats a "square" measurement. The ATWOOD 6 gallon heater is "rectangular".. anyway.. the clues seem to indicate that the 2010 WILDWOOD 22rbxl may have had a Suburban 6 gal WH.

Hoping someone can confirm.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Chuck9997, can't really answer your question, but either will fit. Since you have the tankless, you may want a model that is both gas and electric. You should have power available. I'm sure the 6 gallon will fit, but would check the dimensions on a 10 gallon, especially if able to heat with electric. May take longer to get going, but can take a nice long shower.
I would probably go with the gas/electric.. I had one in another camper and mostly used the electric. I would prefer the 10 gallon tank.. but I don't think it would fit in the present space. (not sure).. If the 6 gal would require less alteration to the RV.. that's they way I would go. Most of the time its only myself and a dog in the camper (he rarely showers).. and with my previous 6 gal WH.. I never ran out of hot water.. and I didn't try to be conservative.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Only the ruler will tell. My camper has a 6 gallon, but had a factory option of a 10. Not sure of the size difference. I was assuming deeper, not length and width, since most of the holes are cut in the sides with a computer router, and nobody knows what is going in at that point in time. I have plenty of space behind for a deeper unit, but I don't have a Wildwood, so only the tape measure will tell. Be prepared for some plumbing issues, and check as best you can for a gas line connection. If your trailer was converted somewhere along the way, maybe they just capped the propane line.

Not sure if you are going to do it yourself or have it done either.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 06-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #7

I considered the length and width because the SUBURBAN 10 gallon WHs are about 3 inches larger (LxW) than the 6.

I am guessing it was SUBURBAN (and not ATWOOD).. because the ATWOOD face is rectangular.. not square.

Wouldn't the gas line that feeds the tankless be the same one that would have have been connected to the original WH? (might be a connector issue) I may have to run a by-pass around the WH for winterizing. Other than that.. the water lines should be there.

But I am sure, like most projects.. when you get into it.. some new problem comes up.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The gas line will be the same, or will work. Usually 3/8 inch copper tubing. Question is, if this is aftermarket, did somebody cut it, can you bend the current one to make it work, is it long enough? Just remember on gas lines, ALWAYS use a flare fitting. Never use a compression fitting like you see for plumbing. While a compression fitting may hold water, it won't hold gas.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #9

Suburban water heater

We have a 2011 22rbxl and it has a Suburban 6 gal heater, Model # SW6PR. It is a pilot light style, but we used to have a DSI version(Direct Spark Ignition). The good thing about DSI is you have an interior switch which allows turning the heater on/off from within the trailer. With the pilot light style you have to go outside to light the pilot. With DSI we would turn the heater on in the morning when we woke up and in ten minutes we had hot water. After showering we then turned the heater off and we seldom had to turn it on again that day. The downside to DSI is a small amount of power is consumed all the time the heater is turned on, so we turned it off when we didn't need it. We boondock for 3 months in Texas during winter, and rely on solar power so we are very aware of any current draw. I am about to install two 115 watt 24 volt solar panels, a 30A MPPT controller, 3 group 27 deep cycle batteries, and probably a Trimetric 2020 battery monitor and 1500 Watt inverter.
Someone else mentioned flared fittings on the gas supply line. It should also be double flared.
Bill
BJAY is offline   Reply With Quote