Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck9997 View Post
Hello.. I bought a new 2013 FORD F150 STX super cab, 2wd, (5.0L, V8 with 3.31 electronic locking RR axle) a few weeks ago. I love the truck and always wanted a FORD full size.. always. I traded in a 2006 Nissan Frontier.

My Nissan actually did a pretty good job pulling my WILDWOOD 22RBXL. Camper weighs about 3500 pounds empty.. probably about 4300 loaded (no water).. but I was looking for the added comfort of pulling with the bigger FORD. The Nissan was rated to pull 6100 pounds.. the FORD: 8100, The Nissan was 265hp.. FORD: 360hp.. plus going from V6 to V8.

However.. after doing a little (after purchase) looking.. I kinda wish I had bought a truck with the 3.55 or 3.73 axle. I don't really understand what the difference is.. but i see that the towing capacity is about 1000 pounds more than the 3.31.

Anyway.. I already have the 3.31.. and it I think it will pull my present camper with no problems.. just wondering what, and how much.. you guys are towing with the 3.31 electronic lock rr axle? I might wanna move up to a bigger travel trailer someday.

I love my FORD... guess I just want to make sure I made the right choice.. over all.
The higher rear end ratio. 3.55 or 3.73, simply allows the engine to operate at higher RPMs and thus produce more pulling power, thus the higher tow ratings.
But you have more than enough truck for your present camper. If you decided for a somewhat larger camper, you may have to pull in drive instead of overdrive, but that would be a small inconvenience.
In the meantime, you have a truck that should give you good gas mileage when you aren't towing.
I think you will really like your new truck!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150