Old 06-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Wildwood 26TBSS

Hi all,
New member here, first post.

Getting ready to trade the 2006 Rockwood popup for a 26TBSS, but I'm trying to figure out if the specs listed on the website are accurate.

They list the dry hitch weight as 815 pounds. But some of the bigger floor plans with heavier dry weights actually have lower dry hitch weights published.

Can anyone tell me if 815# is an accurate DRY hitch weight for the trailer? My Titan has a 920# tongue weight limit and that's a bit too close for comfort.

Thanks. I look forward to spending time on the forum.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #2

Have not weighted ours to confirm spec. It is understood that the floor plan and placement of items will impact the tongue weight. Therefore possible to have a larger TT with lighter tongue weight.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #3

I thought the dry hitch/tongue weight was 805lbs(that us what's quoted for my '08, but newer models may be more)... But not that the 10lbs helps that much.

It doesn't leave much cargo in most vehicles.
I weighed my '01 F-250 at 7720lbs with myself, my son, fully fueled and the general array of tools and spares behind the rear seat. Without us and the tools it's closer to 7350. The GVWR is 8800lbs, so after I hitch up with an empty TT, I'm left with less than 650lbs of cargo capacity... Add the family/dogs, bikes and firewood and I bet I'm over that 8800lbs in my truck.

I do suspect I'm well under my axle ratings of 5200lbs front and 6084lbs rear when loaded up though. With my son and I in the truck, the axles weighed out at 4600lbs front and 3120lbs rear.

In 2 weeks, we are heading out for a week and I plan to weight it fully loaded and see where I'm at. I think my truck and family need to go on a diet... Probably move some stuff to the camper from the truck too. I'm abut concerned how much weight is transferred to the from axle with the WDH since I only have 600lbs to play with on it.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #4

I have a 2014 wildwood 26tbss trailer and tow it great with my 2013 f150 fx4 with the 5.0 engine.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #5

Jaba,
I ended up getting the trailer back in June. We've camped with it three times so far, and the truck pulls it well. I do, however, load all the weight in the back to keep the tongue weight right.

Thanks for the feedback, though.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
Jaba,
I ended up getting the trailer back in June. We've camped with it three times so far, and the truck pulls it well. I do, however, load all the weight in the back to keep the tongue weight right.

Thanks for the feedback, though.
Just be careful with your loading as an imbalanced-rear load will encourage sway and instability.

A good rule of thumb I've read is that tongue weight should be calculated as 13% of your GVWR, which is right around 7800 for the 26TBSS. That's 1014 lbs, which is considerably over your Titan's max tongue weight (which by the way is accounted for assuming you only have a 150lbs driver in an otherwise unloaded vehicle). Just food for thought, as you're going to be about 35% hover your tongue weight by that method of estimating.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #7

Backcountry,
I ended up buying a hitch scale to check my ratio. I'm right at about 820#, which puts me around 13% of the GVW. I've read it should be based on the actual weight of the trailer, not the GVWR.

That's what I meant when I said I put the weight in the back to get it right.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

The GVWR of the trailer is a good baseline to us but if you can weigh it then you know 100%, so there ya go. Just keep in mind balancing the load too heavily toward the rear of the trailer can cause excessive sway.

Tags
26tbss, wildwood