Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Wildwood 27BHSS

Hi everybody - I just recently decided to join the forum club. I must say many thanks to all of you that had provided plenty of wisdom to our TT knowledge. Keep it up!

We just got our 2011 FR Wildwood 27BHSS (kids now have their bunks)two weeks ago and went for our 1st trip last weekend. Very nice TT, we lucked out since we had been looking at the competition and we got soooo overwhelmed.

Having said that, what do you guys think of our current setup? TV is a 2007 Sub 5.3L 3:73, i only have the WD kit but no sway package (yet). TT is 6100 (dry) with a 760 TW. We always travel light since we only camp locally (no more than 2-3 hrs). I noticed a bit a of sway on TT (first trip) than my previous TT so I 'm not sure if I need to adjust the WD or just get a combo WD. TV feels good pulling it and it doesn't feel forced towing.

any comments good, bad or indifferent are welcome.
Thanks again,
Jorge
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #2

Just get a anti sway bar that will stop that. Is that 1/2 ton sub, you`re probably close to the max wieght towing capacity .Does it have a tranny cooler and does it have a tow/haul button ? Both are a very good option when towing
Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #3

It is a 1/2 Sub with tow/haul button, no additional tranny cooler (which I'm thinking of adding).
What anti-sway bar you recommend?
the way I figured I'll be about 400lbs below the towing capacity for the 2007 Chevy Sub, not much but at least is not over the capacity. I know some folks like to be about 1000lbs below as a desired towing for just in case and I can understand it.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #4

i use the reese anti sway bar cost about 100dollar but really makes a difference even on my 30ft camper I towed my camper to Florida without the anti sway bar and it was kinda scary at times when we got there i found a camping world and bought a the reese anti sway bar and install it at the campground i use it on the way home and wow what a difference it makes trailer just sit there like it suppose to and handles like a dream
Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #5

I'll be shopping around this weekend for it, Thanks so much Pal. You see sharing experiences like these help another camping fellow get things right and avoid the gessing nonsense.
I betcha that if we were at a campsite talking about this...I would be bringing a couple of cold beverages to express our gratitute!

Also - was it hard to install it yourself?
2007 Sub 5.3L 3:73
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #6

you will need a drill and and a tape measure and a socket wrench really was fairly easy to install you will have to drill six holes for the bracket on the frame and your hitch should have a place for the little ball to mount and i would take you up on that cold drink offer if we was there
Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #7

Thanks Chevy02!
I let you know how it went once I install it.
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Old 06-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #8

Congrats on the new Wildwood !!
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #9

You should probably go ahead and get the transmission cooler, my trailer is smaller and lighter than yours and I put a ScangageII in it so I can monitor the transmission temp. Surprising enough the hottest the transmission got was NOT pulling up a hill, rather pulling in a head wind on flat ground (outside temp was in the 50's), the transmission got up to 237f degrees, I had to slow down (from 65) to get it to cool down. Needless to say, 3 days later I had my mechanic install the transmission cooler, I too have the same Suburban set-up. I haven't had a chance to pull my trailer since I installed the cooler, so I don't have any results other than expectations.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander ryker View Post
Congrats on the new Wildwood !!
Thanks - everyone likes it...The wife, the kids and even the dog!
Me I am just happy everybody is happy!

Have you hear any good or bad things about the these? (Wildwood 27bhss)

Thanks again!
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
You should probably go ahead and get the transmission cooler, my trailer is smaller and lighter than yours and I put a ScangageII in it so I can monitor the transmission temp. Surprising enough the hottest the transmission got was NOT pulling up a hill, rather pulling in a head wind on flat ground (outside temp was in the 50's), the transmission got up to 237f degrees, I had to slow down (from 65) to get it to cool down. Needless to say, 3 days later I had my mechanic install the transmission cooler, I too have the same Suburban set-up. I haven't had a chance to pull my trailer since I installed the cooler, so I don't have any results other than expectations.
You know, after chatting w/Chevy02, I took our Sub to the dealer to get an estimate for the cooler. They told me it does have an one (small one). They actually showed me where it was. I was totally baffled and glad. Also, the 2007 Subs come with the displays showing the tranny temp, so far so good.

How do you like your WW 23 TT?
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Old 06-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #12

My suburban has the small factory cooler as well, keep an eye on the temp and you may want to install the additional larger cooler, play it by ear, my justification is the larger cooler is much cheeper than a new transmission
Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #13

I totally agree, I just have to schedule it with a different Chey dealer since the one I bought the Sub from is no longer a Chevy Dealer due to GM BK. I called the other dealer and they gave me some dates I have plans on.
I'm honestly considering upgrading TV to a 2500 but haven't told the wife yet....that is her ride for the kids and weekends. Decisions, Decisions....

how do you like your Wildwood?
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Old 06-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #14

I love it, mine has the large storage section across the back, holds tons of gear, bunks for the boys and a queen across the front, so I almost never have to drop the dinette into a bed, unless the older kids decide to come along, I bought it as a new trailer, reality it was 2 yrs old, had been used a few times as a rental unit from the dealer, I can hardly tell that it had been used at all, but the plus side, all the new trailer bugs were already taken care of by the dealer. I seriously would be surprised if it was rented more than 2 or 3 times.

The big test comes in July when I am pulling it from Idaho to your neck of the woods, trip planned to Disney and Sea World, ten days total. Can't wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2286566.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2735   Click image for larger version

Name:	South Hills Camping 001.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2736  
Old 06-28-2010, 01:24 AM   #15

Wow, that is pretty cool storage, I've never seen that. it looks new to me...you really lucked out...so did we-long story.

I sent you a PM....let me know when is your trip...if time allows we can connect. Kids are off from school so we are often camping ourseleves too....
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA

Tags
27bhss, wildwood