Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #1

Wildwood 33BHOK Fifth Wheel - Too good to be true?

We're on the lookout for our first RV for a family of 5 and like the Wildwoods overall, and have stumbled upon the Wildwood 33BHOK Fifth Wheel.

We were surprised to find this fifth wheel is about $10k less than other fifth wheels....and so we feel a bit skeptical. (We had pretty much settled to go with a travel trailer because we wanted to keep it under $30k.)

Is this too good to be true? What did they cut back on to make it this price? Or is it just a really good deal?

Would love any insights from anyone who has one/seen one.
JuryDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:51 PM   #2

The wildwood is a lower cost series. It has the basic finishes and lower quality furniture than the more expensive units. For family vacation trips it will get the job done. I have the same floor plan in the bumper pull. They are built with the same exact interiors and finishes. (About $26K) We saw the 33BHOK for about $28-29K .
Old 04-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
The wildwood is a lower cost series. It has the basic finishes and lower quality furniture than the more expensive units. For family vacation trips it will get the job done. I have the same floor plan in the bumper pull. They are built with the same exact interiors and finishes. (About $26K) We saw the 33BHOK for about $28-29K .
I appreciate your response. So it's interesting that you say it'll work for family vacation trips. We're looking at taking an extended 6-month or so trip...maybe longer. Do you think this isn't tough enough to withstand a longer trip like this? We're really just wanting to keep the budget down...but we don't want to make a mistake either.

Also, I see you're using an F-250 to pull. Is that adequate enough? We were thinking we probably couldn't comfortably use anything under a 350.
JuryDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

Structure quality seems fine on these. I have been under mine quite a bit for mods.
Things like softer (cheaper) single density foam in seats go flat sooner. Vinyl trim is a littler thinner, drawers are stapled, not glued and screwed, aluminum siding is not as hip as smooth sides and cheaper which helps the overall cost. I knew this going in as my last unit was $60k 10 years ago. (This unit is not going to get as much use as our last one.)
These things may not make a difference to you on short trips. I would have to "upgrade" a few things on ours if we did 3 months trips. (mostly comfort/convenience items)

A properly equipped 3/4 ton truck will tow it just fine. I towed a 13,500 GVW 5th wheel with this truck for several years. It was right at the max for my 2004 but I never felt unsafe. Newer trucks have higher capacities, better brakes, etc. If it was a toy hauler you would need a one ton as their pin weights tend to exceed 3/4 ton ratings.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #5

Wildwood

We have a 2014, 32' TT. Bought it over several more expensive ones because we loved the layout. Yes, may be little cheaper furniture, but still really good. Just insist on a good grade set of tires before you buy. Tires are junk.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
We're on the lookout for our first RV for a family of 5 and like the Wildwoods overall, and have stumbled upon the Wildwood 33BHOK Fifth Wheel.

We were surprised to find this fifth wheel is about $10k less than other fifth wheels....and so we feel a bit skeptical. (We had pretty much settled to go with a travel trailer because we wanted to keep it under $30k.)

Is this too good to be true? What did they cut back on to make it this price? Or is it just a really good deal?

Would love any insights from anyone who has one/seen one.
Here are the specs for yoru Wildwood:

2015 Forest River Wildwood 33BHOK Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

total weight is dry weight plus max payload = 11826.
Pin weight = 1704

If those numbers are less than your trucks tow capacity, you are good.

If that pin weight plus the weight of your truck does not exceed the GVWR then you are good.

Otherwise you are overweight and should go with the 1 ton.
Just my offhand guess, the 3/4 will be fine
Old 04-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #7

We just bought a wildwood 5ver last year, spent over 2 months in it. Had to replace the mattresses but we always do.. with a residential mattress for mom and dad and quality foam ones for the kids. But other than that have been very pleased. Plan to be in it 6 months if more per year when I retire. The nice interior and exterior kitchen made us buy
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel, wildwood