Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

Wildwood DLX 4002Q

I was wondering if anyone on here owns a 4002Q? I have ordered a new 2015 from RVW in Ohio and will be taking delivery in October. This destination trailer will be my winter home in Florida and I will be towing it down there this fall and leaving it on site year round.
If anyone has any thoughts, comments or suggestions regarding this model please chime in.
I'm no trailer virgin as I currently own 5 vintage Airstream trailers that I am restoring one at a time. I also am an RV tech but currently own and operate a campground for the past 9 years.
My project right now is rebuilding my 1995 Wildwood 35ft. I bought it three years ago very cheap. It had been severely neglected and sufferd from some very serious leaks. So far I have replaced the entire roof decking and installed a new rubber roof membrane. I have also rebuilt the entire front bedroom, dinette area and am now working on the back bunk bedroom. The leaks were so bad that the wall studs and bottom plate had rotted out. To fix this the entire aluminum siding outside and the interior wall apnelling needs to be removed. Before you can get to the wall panels all the furniture must be removed. I'm three weeks into it so far and expect to spend a couple more to finish the job.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum, don't own a 4002Q but I would love to have an Airstream, there used to be 2 of them sitting in a field we used to pass whenever we went to our campground 1`s gone the other 1 has been sitting there for 6 or 7 years, I might stop one day.
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by themounties View Post
Welcome to the forum, don't own a 4002Q but I would love to have an Airstream, there used to be 2 of them sitting in a field we used to pass whenever we went to our campground 1`s gone the other 1 has been sitting there for 6 or 7 years, I might stop one day.
Thanks for the welcome. Airstreams are the best. the only thing that rots on them is the floor, unlike ordinary trailers.
Here is some examples of how far you need to go to repair years of neglect.
These two shots are of the back bedroom. Widow leaks caused all this damage:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1995 Wildwood Repairs 001.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	55250

Name:	1995 Wildwood Repairs 002.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	55251
The next two shots show the road side of the trailer from about mid point to the rear. Again window leaks caused most of the damage and some was caused by leaks at the fridge door and the wheel wells.

Name:	1995 Wildwood Repairs 003.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	55252

Name:	1995 Wildwood Repairs 004.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	55253
It took me the better part of two days to strip the trailer to this point. Now the wall studs and the bottom plate of the wall and floor repairs can begin. It will be reinsulated and sealed up better than the factory did to stop this from happening again.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #4

Well if anyone cares it's a week later and after several delays due to rain progress is finally getting somewhere.
The floor and wall framing is all repaired and the siding is all back on. The trailer has been reinsulated and I'm now cutting and installing new panelling inside. I ended up right down to the steel frame before I found structure sound enough to rebuild on. I had to brace the roof from inside to support it while the roadside wall was out. It's counterproductive to build a trailer from the roof down. Something needed to hold up the roof until the new wall was built. Here is where it stands as of lunch today.Click image for larger version

Name:	1995 Wildwood Repairs 001.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	55921

Name:	1995 Wildwood Repairs 002.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	55922

Name:	1995 Wildwood Repairs 003.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	55923

Name:	1995 Wildwood Repairs 004.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	55924

Name:	1995 Wildwood Repairs 005.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	55925
Old 07-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #5

1995 Wildwood Finished

It took six weeks to finish averaging 6 to 8 hours a day and almost $2000 but the trailer is rebuilt. The entire roof deck was replaced, a new rubber roof installed, all the siding was removed and the entire interior removed then the interior wall panelling was removed to get at the structure. I would estimate that nearly 75% of the wall framing was damaged from water leaks. The rot extended down into the floor in several areas and even below to the framing for the floor. Everything rotten was removed, replaced and rebuilt. The entire trailer was reinsulated and new paneling was installed and then the interior was reinstalled. It took 18 sheets of panelling, two for the ceiling and the rest for the walls. A bit of useless trivia was it took 6000 staples, 1500 screws, 12 rolls of butyl tape and 10 tubes of sealer to rebuild the trailer.
I rebuilt it better than factory, every opening was triple sealed, first the edges were foil taped shut then butyl tape was used between the opening and the component installed( window, door etc.) and then the proper sealer was applied as a last measure against leaks. This trailer should last more than 20 years now with proper maintenance.
Here are some shots of the finished interior.

Name:	1995 Wildwood Finished 001.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	58098

Name:	1995 Wildwood Finished 002.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	58099

Name:	1995 Wildwood Finished 003.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	58100

Name:	1995 Wildwood Finished 004.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	58101

Name:	1995 Wildwood Finished 005.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	58102
Old 07-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

Very nice work 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

Thanks, tomorrow the carpet cleaning company is coming to shampoo the carpet and upholstery then I will wash and polish the trailer using my dewalt buffer and post it up for sale. It has a brand new awning, water heater, fridge, kitchen sink & faucet, microwave, toilet, bunk mattresses, battery, propane tanks, regulator and hoses, tires, brakes and axle bearings so mechanically and now structurally it is brand new.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #8

Today I sold the 1995 Wildwood. I take delivery on my new Wildwood 4002Q in a month. I have to make a trip down to Ohio soon to see it and make arrangements for all the extra work to be done to it before delivery.
So does anyone else have a 4002Q who can comment on it's useablilty?
Old 09-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Site Team

I just came across this thread today. You really do good work! Big difference between the before & after pictures!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #10

Thank you very much for the compliment. The new owners are very excited to be getting such a well built trailer for a bargain.
I have to say that these trailers are a breeze to work on compared to the Airstreams I usually work on.
Here is a before and after shot of my 31 ft Airstream that I did a complete shell off restoration to:

Name:	Curbside.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	62815

Name:	Someday 001.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	530.4 KB
ID:	62817
Old 10-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #11

I took delivery finally

Last Tuesday I made the trip down to Ohio to get the new trailer. I left home at 4 am and arrived at RV Wholesalers just shy of 11:30 AM. My plan was to go through the trailer and inspect it for any defects, have my hitch set up for the new trailer then hook it and book it back home. Well as much as you can book it pulling 10500 lbs behind you.
So much of the best laid plans of mice and men.
Let me start of by saying the only reason you would want to buy from RVW is price. There after sales service is atrocious. I must have called them over thirty times to get the order correct, sometimes I got through to the sales rep but most times I was shuffled off to voice mail which was promptly ignored. The same held true for electronic communication. Almost every one of my e-mails were ignored.
The day before my pick up I called to confirm it was ready and was told everything was fine. Two hours out I called to let them know I was running late and was informed that there was a problem with the awning. The wrong brand was ordered and wouldn't match the factory awning. I was given the choice of accepting the wrong awning or waiting until 3:00PM for the correct awning to arrive. I chose to wait for the right one. After all it was only a few hours delay right? Wrong, upon arrival they informed me the correct awning would be on site at 6:00PM. Then it had to be installed.
I ordered a lazy boy recliner for the trailer and it was supposed to match the upholstery of the couch. It doesn't. As compensation I received a $150 store credit and a 10% discount on parts, and that only came after a very heated negotiation. The initial offer was $50 and see you later.

Now the PDI was supposed to be done and everything in perfect working order. HAH, several of the drawers didn't latch properly, one of the fantastic fans was inop(dealer installed BTW). I asked about all the systems and was told they had tested everything then winterized the unit. So I couldn't test the water or drain system or the water heater. Really?, then why was every sink full of constuction dust? Wouldn't that have been flushed out while they tested the water? I did manage to test the furnace, both A/C's the fridge, stove, all three tv's and the dvd system.
So I sat around for over 6 hours waiting for the second awning to arrive. Once installed somewhat improperly. The mounts for the arms are slightly lower that the factory one. Sloppy workmanship to say the least. Now on to my hitch setup. While attaching my weight bar brackets on the trailer there was a slight conflict with the emergency break away switch mount. Nothing that a few whacks with a wrench wouldn't fix. Well the break away switch fell off the trailer on the way home. When I called them the next day to let them know, the response from the warranty department was " it's only a few bucks for a new one so just buy one yourself ". Back to the hitch set up, once completed and hooking up the 7 pin harness they discovered the trailer taillights didn't have any turn signals! So what exactly did they do for the PDI? 30 minutes later and after removing both taillights they now work. At this point I was so pissed and tired that I just left. I had been awake now for 17 hrs and it took me another 9 hours to drive home.
To sum up RVW is a volume dealer only interested in more sales and more sales. You should see the boiler room full of sales reps. At least 36 cubicles for all of them. The walls are covered in pitch slogans for the reps to use in closing the deal. The after sales handling of customers is terrible. The parts depatment is pitifully under stocked and the service department has from what I can assume only one "qualified " tech and the service manager, who often doubles as a tech. the rest of the service staff are kids who don't know a thing about RVs. The "tech" that was there for my walk through was a relative and only 18 yrs old. Most of the questions I asked about how to use certain things on the trailer were answered with "I don't know". I certainly won't be back again and won't recommend them to anyone.
Anyway here are a few pics of the unit at the dealership.

Name:	2015 Wildwood at delivery 003.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	65096

Name:	2015 Wildwood at delivery 004.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	65097

Name:	2015 Wildwood at delivery 005.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	65098

Name:	2015 Wildwood at delivery 006.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	65099

Name:	2015 Wildwood at delivery 007.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	65100

Name:	2015 Wildwood at delivery 008.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	65101

Name:	2015 Wildwood at delivery 009.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	65102

Name:	2015 Wildwood at delivery 010.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	65103

She's now loaded and hitched to the truck for the trip to Florida. I leave in the AM and will arrive on Friday.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Nice unit! I really like the rear door too. Sorry that things didn't go as planned or expected. That was a really long day for sure. The good news is now you can get out and camp.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood