Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Wildwood LE 39BHSS- Sloppy Factory Shower Install Job

We love our "nearly new" pre-owned 2005 Wildwood LE 39BHSS, as it had only been used 4 or 5 times when we bought it. The gas furnace and water heater had never even been used. That's how nearly new it is.

But, we were really ticked when we found out what was done at the factory when the shower was installed. There are huge holes in the flooring below the shower, one giant one where the J-trap drain is located and then there are, not one, but three "doorknob-sized" holes where the hot and cold water lines come through the floor.

It appears that when the shower stall was installed at the factory, some bozo, some Homer-Simpson-type, rather than spending an extra 5 minutes to do the job right, cut a huge hole through the linoleum and the plywood flooring, so he could make the J-trap fit. You can even see the white batting insulation beneath, which means that this part of the flooring is open to the outside - an invitation to roaches, carpenter ants, mice, rats, or other vermon to GET INSIDE THE TRAILER!

And, if that's not bad enough, the folks on the assembly line never thought to correct for this by the use of some expanding foam to backfill this big opening either, as any homeowner would do. Worst of all, it appears that there was originally sufficient vertical clearance to install this shower drain WITHOUT CUTTING A BIG CHUNK OUT OF THE FLOORING.

Even if you say, "well, that's just how we do it on the assembly line at Forest River", there's the 3 separate door-knob-sized holes for the water lines, also penetrating the flooring, of which only one hole is actually in use. It looks like "Homer", who was working the assembly line that day, drilled hole #1, said "Oops", then "Doh", fired up his drill, and drilled hole #2, then said "OOOPS!", followed by "DOH!" and finally drilled hole #3, saw it was in the right spot and used that one to run the plastic water lines through.

If I had purchased this trailer new, I would be going ballistic right now at the dealer, as this is some of the sloppiest assembly work I have seen in a long time.

And, this is a top-of--the-line unit with all the extras!

Maybe, it's me, folks, as I used to work as an ISO Quality Auditor, but I get really P.O'd at this kind of stuff. You can bet that "Homer" was not following the written procedures when he did this shower.

Suggestion: remove the panels from your shower unit and check yours. Look underneath - you may need to buy 3 cans of expanding foam to fill the holes that are there. Post back here if this is a COMMON problem - if there is a Swiss cheese of flooring holes in your trailer.

...Now we now how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall...

walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
I havent looked too much but this i have seen. the water lines enter under the sink from the fresh water tank and they have expansion foam to seal holes. i crawled below the camper and have not seen open holes yet, pretty closed up. I havent looked below tub though.

2008 Wildwood LE 29BHBS
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
Send a message via MSN to welshman599
My 06 Salem has no such problems... yeah the plumbing holes are possibly larger than need be, but all are foamed-in quite well. Post a pic or two sometime, would you?
  • Salem 401-2b; 31" Sony Trinitron and two channels on the antenna.
  • Smokin' hot wife... 2 boys, 25 and 10.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote