Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #1

Wildwood X-Lite 201BHXL tongue weight question

Hi all!

I'm buying a new 201BHXL Tuesday and pulling it with a 2017 Dodge Durango RT with Hemi Engine. In AWD trim, it's max towing is 7200lbs and 1000lbs(tongue) with a WDH. The Durango weighs 5400lbs and the trailer weighs 4200lbs. My hitch is a Fastway 94-00-0800 with anti sway control. Hitch weight with ball is approximately 90lbs.

I'm sure some of you have experimented. The 201BHXL is supposed to weigh 500+lbs at the tongue. Approximately, how much do you add to the tongue via storage, gear, hitch weight, propane, bicycles, etc to where the RV trailers smoothly with minimal sway.

My last towable (37ft long) weighed about 10,000+lbs loaded and I had anywhere from 1300-1400 on the tongue and it towed like a magic carpet. Forgot many times it was behind me. It was a hitch pull and my truck at the time was an F350 Diesel with a Short Bed.

It seemed with my Ford that a lighter trailer tongue weight made the trailer a little skittish. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Chubby_Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #2

random rule of thumb is tongue weight should be between 9 to 15% of max trailer weight. So assuming with propane and batteries you are at 5K your tongue weight should be between 450 light side and 750 heavy. myself I would shoot for a little toward the heavy side.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Always Learning

You can usually guesstimate tongue weight by using a calculator:
Estimating Tongue/Pin Weight from Dry Weights - Towing Planner

Tags
lite, tongue weight, weight, wildwood