Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik
We have had our 2011 WildWood T26BHXL for 12 months($8000 CraigsList) and checked out this site before we purchased so thanks for all info out here. I’ve been lucky enough to RV all my life, my sister has a 29’ TT and my parents are now full-timers . I am quite the handy man and tend to do a lot of modifications to make sure our home away from home is as good as it can be. I am also a stickler on maintenance and organization.
As for pros and cons: I think as a week-ender several times a year this is a great camper but as a serious camper(several 2-3 weekers a year plus weekenders) it could use some work but it has good bones. I chose not to have a slide out for price, weight increase(1050lbs), maintenance and belief(a camper is only gone into to cook, sleep and bathroom every thing else is done outside)

Mods I have already done(most MODs have been posted):
double commercial 950CCA battery frame/rack up front(second battery is a must)
Axle flip(first trip out we drug-ass and hitch several times), raised 5 1/4inch, I only wanted 3inch but for 24$ this was easy and after 5000plus miles it seems to ride/tow great, we do use an extra step now.
3 Cubbies under beds, cut out and framed for easy storage access, these were very difficult spaces to use before.
Second shelf across front wall of trailer, tons of new space.
Cabinet for lower bunk bed(upper bunk already had one).
Hinged kick board of couch to give fantastic storage access.
Receiver on back for bike rack or storage rack.
DC outlets installed in bunk beds
Foot Step installed for upper bunk
Many more smaller projects done and too do: Fantastic Fan in bath and new install above couch, insolate and heat tanks for winter use, move spare tire to under camper, cutting board replacement for sink covers, counter space flip up, motion light outside quieter-fan swap for fridge……….
As you can see: I have a great wife who lets me just do it and I have way to much time.
See ya on the road,
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down
John
$24 axle flip? U do it yourself? I def need to do that now that I have a lifted TV
MikeFresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #22
Another rat in the race

I am interested in the axle flip as well.

So go ahead spill the beans and maybe some pictures also
Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #23
Explorer

couch storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Great mods! On the hinged kick board of couch how hard is it to reach in for things? Do you use baskets there too?
I find it so much easier to get into this huge storage area and now my wife and kids can too. I can almost slide anything I want in there instead of trying to lift couch part way and hold it with my shoulder and man-handle stuff down and in. Mostly I use this area for bulk stuff(water, soda, paper towles, dry soups...) so baskets or flats/boxes work well. If something small works its way to the back of the area it is still some what hard to get to.
Works for us; any where I can find space is good
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
Explorer

Posted a new Thread

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post267588

I do not want to hijack this post so I have post a new thread, Axle flip; 5 ¼ inch lift. It is posted on the "Running gear, axles, brakes and frames" page or try the link I copied on above.
Thanks
John
Old 10-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
Explorer

Big fridge a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_Chief View Post
Awesome! I've been looking at what RV Wholesalers have in stock.
They have (2) left but they both are the single door refrigerators.
I am hesitant about buying a single door ref. My local dealer here
in Las Vegas doesn't have any in stock and a special order will cost
over 7k more than RV Wholesalers. Glad to hear that your TV is a good
match for the TT. Do you use a wdh and sway control?
A big fridge was a very important item for us. I do not want to deal with a cooler and buying ice for it. Now, I have used a cooler several times when we bringing cousins or friends (more than 3 extra mouths) with us but mostly for fruit and drinks; I do not like people going in and out of the camper to often. For the four of us I can hold enough food for over a week and I cook for almost every meal. I do restock drinks every night.
This the first fridge I ever saw that has a moveable thermal couple(T/C) on the cooling fins that regulate the temperature of fridge. I was worried at first that it was a poor design but it works fine. I added a thermometer that I watch and on occasion I do adjust the T/C to better regulate temperature.
I would hold out for a big fridge but we go camping for 2-3 weeks several times a year and we don’t eat out very often. I love to cook great meals out in the middle of no-where; us, nature and good food. I want to go camping…..
Hey I see another MOD in the closed fridge picture: I put a mirror on the bathroom door(that’s not a second fridge, Ha Ha)

And yes you need a WD system.
Good luck, have fun
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FridgeClosed_web.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	20982   Click image for larger version

Name:	FridgeInfo_web.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	20983   Click image for larger version

Name:	FridgeOpen_web.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	20984   Click image for larger version

Name:	FridgeTC_web.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	20985   Click image for larger version

Name:	FridgeTherm_web.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	20986  

Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #26

We have a 2012 28BHXL and it works great with the three of us and our two dogs...we have stayed in it over 20 days this summer. We have no complaints and have had no issues. Everything works as promised. We did add a memory foam mattress to the master...factory mattress was brutle! We also have the backpack edition so I went to the local parts store and mounted a lockable tote on ther that is capable of holding 40 gallons of stuff...thats where I put all of the septic stuff, hoses and anything ewlse that can be put away wet. Keeps the basement locker clean and dry.
Doobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Another rat in the race

I think the WD system depends on the vehicle you use I have a F250 V10 Supper Duty and even with my monster of a bike Vstrom 1000, propane tank, ice chest, bicycles, and other stuff in the back of the truck it just squatted down 1" with the trailer on.

I will say even with my truck some Bridgestone air bags would be nice.

Also I did the under couch thing but we removed the panel completely. the fabric collects dog hair like crazy I put a oil rubbed bronze closet pole across. We put 3 very large tubs under there and we use them as a pantry cabinet, since it is in the middle of the trailer our tubs never seem to move, so the closet pole doesn't seem to get put on much. We also put a panel between the couch frame and the pony wall so things don't fall all the way down and now we have a place for brooms and mops, until the couch folds down for guests.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #28
Another rat in the race

the bigger fridge would be nice but we get quite a bit more use out of the storage space above the smaller fridge but as a rule drinks all go in the ice chest that stays out side. So fridge is for condiments, meat, cheese, fruit, and veggies that need to be kept cold.

Also the square ice cream tubs at walmart work perfect for in the cabinets almost all upper cabinets fit 2 deep and 2 tall, and one fits perfectly in the little fridge freezer with space for frozen meat.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
the single door fridge in the Wildwood is adequate for our trips - we do carry along an Ice Chest when we foresee a need (so far just to keep bottled water cold)

if more fridge space is your requirement consider an extra, 110v unit (from Conn's, Best Buy or..) - well under $100.....Bill
Just curious, where do you store the extra cooler while camping?
FT_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #30
Another rat in the race

One mod that my wife likes quite a bit is we took the heater vent that blows out to the couch and moved it to the water pump panel. This has worked out well now the kids all pile their shoes in the spot between the sink and the couch and no one worries about blocking a heater vent.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #31

Wow! You really are the handy man! I love your mods. You have the same
philosophy as myself on camping. Thanks for your great write up.
FT_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #32
Another rat in the race

As promised I listed my mods with pictures but figured it would over run this thread so here is the link to the new thread.
Mods to My T26BHXL