Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

Wiring harness issue

I have a 2017 Wildwood 276RLIS 5th wheel. When I plug it up to my truck all my lights work normally. After a few seconds though a message appears on the dash in my truck to check trailer lights and trailer connected. All my lights work normal on my trailer and they don’t flicker on and off. I have plugged other trailers with the same connection in to my truck and it works fine with no warning messages being displayed. I can reset the warning message but it just shows right back up again. It’s very annoying too!! I have been told it could be a grounding problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andy-Cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. If you are running LED on the trailer it may be that the truck is not sensing enough draw, just a guess on my part but something to check.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #3

Check your trailer brake circuit. I believe that's the circuit that gives you the message, not the lighting circuits.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

Poor ground can be a very perplexing problem. Sometimes unplugging the umbilical cord and plugging it back in can fix the problem temporarily. Clean the terminals in both parts of the umbilical cord and applying dielectric grease to the terminals. Locate where the ground wire is connected to the frames of both the trailer and T/V and check for a loose connection. Remove them and clean the terminal and the area of connection of any dirt or rust. Coating the bolt or screw, the attachment point, the terminal and any washer with a dielectric grease before reinstalling. Putting a star washer between the terminal and frame will help. Putting dielectric grease on the terminals when your disconnected from the trailer for more than a day or two will help prevent future problems. I put the nipple of the tube of dielectric grease in the terminals and squeeze until grease comes back out, filling the slot full once my trailer is set up.

Also locate the ground connections for the brakes and do the same. Each brake will have a separate ground.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #5

My guess is a bad ground or connection on your new trailer.
iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:45 PM   #6

Andy-Cathie

what brand and year of truck is it?

I have had a few messages like that on my 2015 RAM 1500...

few and far between, but have showed up on at least 4 occasions, but not recently... I did NOTHING to solve the problem as I did not know where to start...

sometimes I think all of this computer/sensor crap on these newer TV's sometimes just cause problems because the stars are not aligned correctly...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
Head Rambler

Bummer. Looks like a "one and done"
Joined and posted on the 20th, got a few suggestions, last log in was the 25th and haven't been on since.

Maybe they'll come back and let us know what's going on.
It's good to know the fix for these type of problems. It helps many people in the future with the same or similar issues.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Joined and posted on the 20th, got a few suggestions, last log in was the 25th and haven't been on since.

It's good to know the fix for these type of problems. It helps many people in the future with the same or similar issues.
Maybe he has a JOB?. Might have a LIFE? Might be boonedocking and enjoying life off the grid?? Tough crowd. It's only been 7.5 days.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

Well, until the OP has time to respond, the most we can do is speculate. My speculation is that he might have a SuperDuty. Over on some Ford forums I'm been reading while waiting for my new truck I had come across a few similar threads. Seems the early 2017 SuperDutys had an issue with water getting into a connector that the 7-pin plugged into and causing shorts resulting in messages like this.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #10

I know the OP personally. On April 1st he accidentally drove his truck and camper off of a cliff while negotiating a Colorado mountain pass at 3 in the morning.

He couldn't stop in time because his Ford's plug was contaminated with water and he was too distracted by the dashboard message to notice the hairpin turn on the pass.

He contacted me from the afterworld via the Long Island Medium and asked me to forward his apology for not responding to this thread. He said the Internet wifi connection in heaven is spotty.

Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring