Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

2013 Work & Play 18EC Comes Home ...

I have been a member here for some time when we decided to start looking for a toy hauler since this time last year. Primarily we are interested in using it for bike rallies .... the wife wants a toilet and shower ... !

We started looking for a 16UL and finally found two we were interested in ... one a private sale (8 hours away) and another at a dealer (2 hours away). We decided to look at the used unit at the dealer since it was closer and would negotiate the private sale for purchase. As I figured, once inside, the wife thought it was really small ... really, really small. Of course, she meandered over to an 18EC. The 16UL was soon "out" in case we decided to take a few vacations in it.

After a successful negotiation with the same dealer on a used (but in brand new condition) 18EC, here she is ..... on the way home and at home ...

Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), CVO Rear, Chain Drive 116rwhp/127rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #2

I have the same unit and really like it.
mitw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitw44 View Post
I have the same unit and really like it.
... glad you like yours. I think we will enjoy this. It is our first TH.
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), CVO Rear, Chain Drive 116rwhp/127rwt
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #4

I have the same trailer with the bulbus nose cap and the same graghics and color. After working out a few kinks for several months we now like it. Can haul a M/C and not have to remove it overnight for use of refer,micro, stove sink, bath, and the murphy bed.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
I have the same trailer with the bulbus nose cap and the same graghics and color. After working out a few kinks for several months we now like it. Can haul a M/C and not have to remove it overnight for use of refer,micro, stove sink, bath, and the murphy bed.

Jack
I wanted a blue one with the nose cap, but they were waaaay expensive. We got a smokin' deal on this as new, used one saving $10k over a blue one I found online.

Does the nose cap make any difference in hauling or mileage?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
CONGRATS!! MAy you have many days and night of fun!!
(We just took delivery a few weeks ago of a WP 25ULA)

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
I wanted a blue one with the nose cap, but they were waaaay expensive. We got a smokin' deal on this as new, used one saving $10k over a blue one I found online.

I honestly do not think so. I would have to see test results to be convinced.

It does improve the looks 200 percent in my humble opinion.

Jack
Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
CONGRATS!! MAy you have many days and night of fun!!
(We just took delivery a few weeks ago of a WP 25ULA)
Thanks and congrats on your delivery ... that's a nice hauler.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
I honestly do not think so. I would have to see test results to be convinced.

It does improve the looks 200 percent in my humble opinion.

Jack
I was just curious, but I agree, it does a lot for the aesthetics of the hauler.

By the way, what color do you have?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
I was just curious, but I agree, it does a lot for the aesthetics of the hauler.

By the way, what color do you have?
Same color as pictured above with same graghics. I only wish it had Dexter axles with torsion bar suspension.

Jack
Old 10-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #11

Well, after some window shopping for a Duramax Denali, a Ford dealer made an offer we couldn't refuse for the Hummer ... what we paid for it 11 months ago on trade, $9k off MSRP and 1.9% financing ....

The dealer's last new '13 F250 with the Lariat Ultimate Package .... I am thinking 800 ft-lbs should be plenty for just about any toy hauler.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #12

Quote:
I would think it would (or at least it should).
But the most effect on MPG will be your cursing speed, at least on flat ground! I had a Carson Brand TH previously, it was 16' long same basic size as yours and I found that it seemed like I hit a wall at around 65 to 68 MPH. To just go 5 mph faster I really had to push the petal down a lot and my boost pressure started to climb. I blame it on wind resistance and the brick like shape of the Carson. I would average about 11 MPG on our 7.3 power stroke with 373 gear.

My WP 27UL has an aerodynamic shape and milage instantly improved on the 7.3 to 13-14mpg and it is 27' long and 2000 lb more - go figure!
(now I have a 5.9 cummins these days) and get 15-16 as long as I keep it around 65mph. But we usually take back highways anyway so 55-65 is normal there.

So I would have to say IMHO that any attempt to smooth out the air flow makes a difference. Trying to drag that square box down the interstate at 75mph will really cut your mpg compared to just slowing down to 65.

After all - getting there is half the fun so why rush anyway.

Nice looking rig (both the WP and the new truck!)
Keep us post on your travels!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #13

I bought a new Platinum F-150 ecoboost with max haul and max tow for the 18EC. This is one awesome truck. Outpulls the Yukon Denali 3 to 1. Average 9.8 at highway speeds. A little better at 65. Pulled over 12 passes in Colorado this summer and speed limit on all but one. Never even thought of overheating engine or transmission. I owned ranches and farms and towed many trailers with many trucks and motorhomes. Never seen anything like it. Go Ford! (3.73 rear end)

Jack
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #14

Looking for a 2011-2013

Hi, do you mind telling where you found your toy hauler? We also have been looking for a used, but "like new condition" here in the Southeast. I thought Atlanta would have a lot of inventory, but I think that in itself is a testimony to the quality. People seem to real happy with the product and keep it!
abby8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby8242 View Post
Hi, do you mind telling where you found your toy hauler? We also have been looking for a used, but "like new condition" here in the Southeast. I thought Atlanta would have a lot of inventory, but I think that in itself is a testimony to the quality. People seem to real happy with the product and keep it!
Not sure who you aimed your question to? But if you're asking me - I found mine on Craigs List. I searched for a few months because I already knew exactly the model I wanted. I searched the entire USA at times. I missed a deal in Fla by one day it was 2 years old, like brand new and selling a half the price of new. 2 months later I found another just like it and ended up paying 2 grand more for that one and had to go 1300 miles to get it. So if your looking for that smoking deal on a like new camper, you need to search daily and be ready to pull the trigger once you recognize the deal you want.

Use this search tool SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All of craigslist, eBay & more in one search. enter the description and check of the RV category and radius in miles you want to search.
I was very particular and there are not many 27UL models that ever become avail used, so I had to search 3000 miles out to even find a heat at times.

Once I found the one I wanted the savings was about 5 grand over others like it so I went to uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves to get a quote and found it was cheaper to have someone else pull it to me than my cost just in fuel and 1 hotel stay (on the way up there) to get there and back. Not counting it was a 4 day trip so I would have to burn vacation days. I also paid a local inspector 200 dollars to check it out and validate it's condition and that it is as it was represented, in the end the savings of 5000 was worth me paying the inspection and delivery costs.

Anyway - use SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All of craigslist, eBay & more in one search. and you will find all kinds of deals on there but if you are to descriptive it may scrip over something, I recommend just entering the model number in the description box. Like 18EC"
if that is the one you want.

Good luck - sorry for writing a novel just wanted to share the info.

My rig:
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Bought mine in Texas at RV Max but would never recommend that dealership to anyone.
Had issues on the way home to AZ. Out of the eight calls I made to them only two were answered and then by the front desk. Worse luck trying to deal with Forest River. My local dealer La Mesa Rv was great but at $130 per hour I guess it was worth it to them.

I bought new and have had many problems with it due to very cheap construction. Basically it is slowly falling apart screw by screw.

I would never buy a forest River product again! I have owned 6 motorhomes and four trailers all other brands.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Sure .... Bob Ledford's Adventure Motorhomes Dealership - SC's #1 in Volume - 400 + units

We had been looking for quite some time and came across a decent deal on a 16UL on Craigslist in Florida. Instead of wasting the private seller's time, we drove up to Bob Ledford's to look at a used 16UL they had in stock and the wife realized it was just way too small. So, I began looking for a 18EC and found a smokin' deal in Louisiana by a private seller. I knew Bob Ledford's had a used 2013 on their lot and negotiated them down to the private sellers price realizing I wouldn't have to pay sales tax to the private seller. The drive distance, however, waaay made up for the sales tax .... the private seller was near the Texas border.

Take a look at their stock ... the best deals I was quoted from dealers in the SE on a used unit was more than the prices Bob Ledford's listed on their website for a new one. There just are not as many toy haulers in the SE as there are out west. We would have been happy renting one, but that is not even possible in the SE.

... good luck!

Tags