Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

2013 Work and Play, what a piece of crap

I just purchased a brand new 2013 W@P 275 trailer and man these things are junk, I am currently working with Attorny to see what my options are. I have had it 3 weeks and yet to use it but have almost 300 miles back and forth to dealer for repairs!
Bathroom door molding broke
Slider does not stay shut while moving
bathroom door does not stay shut while moving
drawer below microwave does stay closed, latch was stripped out
wires on tongue mounted on out side of frame and hitch load bars cut them
tongue jack broke needed replaced
screw or something poking through flooring in kitchen area, waiting for approval!
water leak- water comes in around fuse panel under fridge, that is great water in electrical area
and and after all that had to go back because they forgot to put my bottle cover back on!
and the tongue wire repair has already broken again.
I paid 30k for this, am I the only one, I was told that these were heavy duty style trailer and wont have issues! please chime in let me know your experiances with these units, but i am sorry already i bought this box of bolts loose bolts at that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer tongue.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	32755  
Brett Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

Sorry you are having problems, I have had 2 different work n plays. 1 25ula and a 30wr and both were flawless. They are very tough. Sounds to me like you need to get a dealer that can get this fixed up. Have you called forest river and asked for the work n play people. I only had to call for tech info, but they were very nice and spot on.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

I have a new 25UDT...I had several issues, but the dealer has stood behind every one....First trip next weekend...we will see.
Sudsy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

25ula

Sorry you are having issues.

Not that it helps, but I've had my ULA for 3 years and have not had a single issue that required repair - other than damage done by burglars - twice!

Good luck in getting your defects repaired.
1971 LeMans Sprint Convertible
2010 ZG1400 Concours
Dalroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

Work and Play

I have been in contact with the Work and Play people and they have been very helpfull and understanding of this and really made me feel at ease and are stepping up to take care of it! they seem to be great so far in handeling all my concerns and time Thanks Forest River customer support Brett
Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #6

This trailer is junk-W/P 18EC

Purchased this trailer May 30, 2013 and have not been able to use yet. Refrigerator wires have burned up four times and waiting for the next fix. Frame has numerous large rust areas. Shower is delaminating from the wall. Had to spend $460 dollars to mount a $200 front wheel chock to haul motorcycle. Floor is chip board (OSB) and needed backing plates for mounting chock. 110 gallon water tank is mounted below this area. Had to move chock up10 inches to tie into stringer. Now I can haul only one bike due to forward limited space.

There are no phone or email contact numbers on any brochures. Took several days to locate contacts. Even after getting a contact number no one wants to return calls. After numerous trys and messages I had a secretary walk to Dwayne Casteels office (customer service). So far nothing has been fixed correctly and the same burn ups are happening. These refers are side vented and along with the heat here in AZ are not venting properly and burning up. If anyone in AZ or southern CA owns one of these please call me (PM me for #).

Purchased this from RV-Max in Sherman TX. Refer burned up on way back to AZ during delivery. Called dealer 8 times with not one call back. They got there money and don't want to talk to me again.

La Mesa here in Tucson is trying their best to help me. They do have two 30 foot W/P that have been pulled from inventory but will not tell me why.

FOREST RIVER IS NOT AN ACCREDITED BUSINESS BY THE BBB. Buyer be ware!

If you own an 18EC and live in AZ or S. CA please call me (PM me for #).

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #7

Work and play

I was told this buy my dealership that if that happens they may have to put in a power blower to keep it cool, ask them about that, It seems to me it is just a small fan they install to help it vent Brett
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #8

They have tried numerous things including baffles and new gas regulators. Latest try is three new baffle plates connected INSIDE THE LOWER REFER ACCESS PANEL. These must be removed every time you stop. gas-lunch-overnight-etc. In other words go back remove lower access panel for refer, remove metal covers from the back and replace access panel. Then do the whole thing over again befor you drive. This is totaly unacceptable. would you do this????? Do not even know if this will work yet. After four other fishing expeditions by Dometic I doubt it.

Jack
Old 06-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #9

What part of the country do you live in? Do you have the "bulbus front end? Have you or anyone you have heard of had refer problems?

I have the bulbus front end as do the other two that have been pulled out of inventory here in Tucson.

Jack
Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #10

Work and Play

You mean the 1 piece all fiberglass rounded front end, Yes I have that! why is there an issue? they have been out for 2 years wonder why they pulled them 2 off lot, My dealer still has 4 of them and they all have that front end, and he has then on lot for sale???
Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #11

Yes I have an 18EC (20) foot. Could have something to do with the way the slipstream or whatever. It only burns out when driven. Don't know why they were pulled. Dealer not telling me. I suspect it is the same problem as one of the tech's alluded to it. Could also have something to do with the heat here in Tucson. Where are you located?

Jack
Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #12

Work And Play

I am here in Pennsylvania, i wonder if it happens when driving due to low volts, I would check battery hook up to truck and or amps/volts when hooked up and running, Maybe truck can not keep up with demand as fridge is drawing battery down, or something, I am going to run all my stuff this weekend to see if it is ok before my first trip, let you know, Also I was told to keep wax on mine as decals etc. fade bad, this from tech. they recomended the solo 3000 spray wax with UV in it, **** is hard to rub off the FRP panels, I dont have the aluminum skins but FRP.
I keep my trailer plug in to house so my battery stays charged, I would start there! as low volts and amps will kill that stuff or ask about blower fans behind unit !
Old 06-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #13

Work and play 18EC

I have had better quality rv's and much better customer service than with Forest River. They list no contact numbers or email address anywhere including the brochures. Took several days just to find a contact and then it was hard to get anyone to return a call. On my fifth refrigerator repair in three weeks and have not even left on a trip yet.

Original dealer RV-max in Sherman TX has never called me back after eight messages left. I paid cash. I guess out of sight out of mind.

The 18EC took me $460 to properly install a motorcycle chock. Floor is OSB (chip board) and will not hold a screw or bolt with out large backing plates. 110 gallon water tank under chock placement area. Had to move the chock up 9 inches, add two more tie downs forward and now do not have enough space forward for second (wife's) motorcycle. No help from F/ R on this. I wish now I would have kept my Wells Cargo Trailer. It was a much better quality trailer.

I would not recommend this trailer to anyone who wishes to haul any motorcycle. It just is not set up for it not to mention the poor quality and service from the manufacturer. Better shop around and save a lot of grief and heartburn!

Jack
Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Rahn View Post
I am here in Pennsylvania, i wonder if it happens when driving due to low volts, I would check battery hook up to truck and or amps/volts when hooked up and running, Maybe truck can not keep up with demand as fridge is drawing battery down, or something, I am going to run all my stuff this weekend to see if it is ok before my first trip, let you know, Also I was told to keep wax on mine as decals etc. fade bad, this from tech. they recomended the solo 3000 spray wax with UV in it, **** is hard to rub off the FRP panels, I dont have the aluminum skins but FRP.
I keep my trailer plug in to house so my battery stays charged, I would start there! as low volts and amps will kill that stuff or ask about blower fans behind unit !
Thanks Brett, Towing with new GMC Denali. Found out from La Mesa that the wire on the seven way plug that charges the battery on the trailer does not come hooked up from the factory. It is there. All you have to do is hook the wires up to the battery. If anyone has a new truck this should be checked. Factory does not hook this wire to battery in case you are towing a boat.(water would short it out when launching or loading) If wire is hooked up it comes with a dummy fuse.

Dometic has supplied new refrigerator and schrouds for the venting to prevent wind when driving. Seems to be working so far. Test drove for over 100+ miles so far and still working. I have to change back to the open vent when parking for extended periods.

Thanks for all your suggestions. They were a great help. Has F/R been able to fix all of your problems yet?

Sorry it took so long to reply but hard drive on computer crashed two weeks ago.

Jack
Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

. . . Refer burned up on way back to AZ during delivery . . .

Jack
I assume you tried to run the frig while you were towing/moving? I've never been able to run a frig successfully (on gas) while moving.
wp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp_owner View Post
I assume you tried to run the frig while you were towing/moving? I've never been able to run a frig successfully (on gas) while moving.
Refer now appears to be working after new updated refer was installed along with pickup camper baffles. Air was blowing against the burner that boils amonia. Left side instalation puts burner in the rear of the baffle and wind was blowing out the ingniter and it was continually trying to restart until it burned out. This happened four times. The fifth time they replaced the refer that is totally enclosed around the burner along with the pickup camper baffle tubes and now appears to be working. Extreme heat here in AZ may have contributed also.

Wife gave up on any travel this summer in the trailer due to no confidence. Have bought airline tickets for our travels this summer. *DAMN* I bought this trailer on May 30th and now looks like no trips until next summer. Asked Dwayne Casteel (customer service) for extra year warranty but have not heard back from him. General Manager LAWTON TINLEY for Work and Play has not returned my calls (2) for two weeks now. HAD I KNOWN fOREST RIVER IS NOT AN ACCREDITED BUSINESS WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIER PRODUCT. They are not anxious to return calls or talk to anyone. BUYER BE WARE!

REFRIGERATORS ARE SUPPOSED TO RUN ON GAS WHEN NO SOURCE OF 115v electricity is available. This includes while traveling.

I can not say enough about La Mesa RV here in Tucson. They have been great even though I did not purchase from them. I certainly will next time. I have owned 6 large motorhomes so am somewhat familiar with RV's.

Jack

refer
Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #17

More problems

I have yet to use this POS and have had it back several more times,
#1 Bubbled coating on slide out top
#2 Range hood fan took a crap
#3 cabinet door just slpit appart
#4 C O monitor stopped working
#5 Water leak in storage area up front and screw head broke off at nose cone!
#6 Roof need re sealed, They handed me a bill WRONG
#7 Water leak around fridge
#8 had to remove floor and properly screw it down as screws were sticking up and pushing through floor covering!
I have to tell ya these are JUNK and I am working with Lawyer to get my self reembursed as this gets old over 400 miles back and forth to dealer, and again never used! first trip is to Indy for bike week and races, I am taking this to factory while there and see what they say, I am sure they wont be available or something, I have emailed them to let them know I am coming, I would and do tell everyone how bad the quality of these are, if I gave my customers this **** I would be out of a job, thank god I took extra 4 years of warranty,
Forest River rep is trying to do the right thing but at this point I feel even his frustrations, Dealer has been great at fixing all this but even they are now like Dam this is crazy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exeter-20130705-00032.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	36238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exeter-20130705-00031.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	36239  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #18

I think I know how you feel Brett.

1. RV-MAX in Sherman Texas never returned 8 phone calls after I left. Non were availabe here in the Southwest so bought long distance in Texas for cash. I will never do that again. Out the door and out of sight I was forgotten about. Lucky for me a local dealer La Mesa Rv took me under thier wing and worked with the factory to get things fixed that broke or fell apart on the way home.

2. Refer burned up four times. Fifth time the unit was replaced with a new one with special modifications that appears to now be working.

3. Under wheel wells and numerous frame parts had severe rusting.

4. Shower walls delaminated from wall etc etc

I am concerned with the basic structure integrity. Only 23/32 OSB board with no frame. Can you believe OSB on the floor also. I had no idea I was only at the dealer long enough to pay cash and hook up to start the trip back to Tucson. I have to blame myself a little for not doing my due diligence.

As of yet I have not used it and probably will not until next summer.

I was promised a second year warranty from Dwayne Casteel the sevice and parts manager for all this but do not have it in my hand as of yet. I asked for other things but was refused.

Jack