Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

At wits end

I have owned my work and play (WPF38SB) for just over a year now. Things that have gone wrong:

1. Dealer gave it to me with a dead battery
2. Fuel gauge for fuel station wired improperly
3. Fuel station on switch rusted and stopped working
4. Heater stopped working
5. Dealer stripped threads on water pump when winterizing
6. Countertop warped
7. Missing drawer handles
8. A/C vents not even hooked up properly
9. Thermostat went out
10. Water leak
11. Water pump installed improperly
12. Another dealer put two wood screws through the side of the trailer when installing the new countertop
13. 3 bulbs have burned out in the first 6 months
14. Circuit breaker is popping on the landing gear

Did I mention I only took it camping 4 times last year?

And now, the generator. I would go and start it about every month for between a half hour and an hour. Now, I get a code 36 and it will end up running, but not well.

Took the plug out and it was pretty sooted up. Cleaned the plug and checked the gap, everything seems ok. Generator won't hold an RPM and surges. The gas in it shouldn't be bad. Less than a year old.

This is my first RV and at this point I don't even want it anymore. I dropped just over $40k on this thing and it didn't even come with D-rings to tie anything down AND ITS A TOY HAULER!

I leave messages with forest river and nobody calls me back. The website sucks and there aren't even any easy to find phone numbers to get a hold of anyone.

/rant and I will be calling Forest River soon about a buyback.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

So, did you post to get our help?

Unit should be under warranty and the issues should be addressed by the dealer that sold you the unit.

If you want specifics we can address each item on your list. Some are pretty straight forward and some will require some troubleshooting.

Remember we are NOT FR. We are just campers like you.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Drinkin beer on the beach

I'll bet your gas for the generator is bad. A year is a long time, did you put stabilizer in it?

Hai, wish we could help you get the hiccups worked out and help you enjoy it...
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post
I'll bet your gas for the generator is bad. A year is a long time, did you put stabilizer in it?

Hai, wish we could help you get the hiccups worked out and help you enjoy it...
Yea, that was my first thought too. Without Stabil or equivalent in the gas, 6 months is about maximum. Even with Stabil, my gas generator is hard starting after 6 months in the tank. I had to suck out about 2 gallons and replace it with fresh gas to get it to idle properly.

Did not waste the fuel; it just went into the car's tank.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #5

Forest river does not warranty generators. I have to call a Onan/Cummins retailer, which they said they will only warranty it if there is something defective with the unit. If anything else is wrong I will have to come out of pocket on.

And I'm pretty sure the trailer only comes with a 1 year warranty, which ran out back in about December.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #6

foglght; did you have a load on the generator when you were running it? If not the the generator will surge a certain amount without a load on it. It's best to put a load on the generator when you run it.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
foglght; did you have a load on the generator when you were running it? If not the the generator will surge a certain amount without a load on it. It's best to put a load on the generator when you run it.
It was running and surging for a while, then I turned all the lights on, turned on the fridge, and a fan. At that point it ran ok for about 5 minutes (still surging a bit) and then the lights started to flicker a bit and the unit started running poorly and eventually just shut down.

I did notice last night that the exhaust pipe was glowing (the pipe inside the unit). Not sure if this is normal.

Read the manual last night and it indicates I may need to change the plug/filter and possibly drain the soot trap.

It only has 16 hours on it.

I would think if the exhaust was plugged that it wouldn't run at all. I'm going to try and get a new plug today along with pulling apart the carb and trying to clean it a bit. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll buy a new carb and try that.

This is just absolutely ridiculous that I spent this much money on something, maintain it properly and it just continues to be a pile of junk.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
It was running and surging for a while, then I turned all the lights on, turned on the fridge, and a fan. At that point it ran ok for about 5 minutes (still surging a bit) and then the lights started to flicker a bit and the unit started running poorly and eventually just shut down.

I did notice last night that the exhaust pipe was glowing (the pipe inside the unit). Not sure if this is normal.

Read the manual last night and it indicates I may need to change the plug/filter and possibly drain the soot trap.

It only has 16 hours on it.

I would think if the exhaust was plugged that it wouldn't run at all. I'm going to try and get a new plug today along with pulling apart the carb and trying to clean it a bit. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll buy a new carb and try that.

This is just absolutely ridiculous that I spent this much money on something, maintain it properly and it just continues to be a pile of junk.

my professional opinion is to install new plug "use an ngk" as well as the fuel filter and run some sea foam through it asap ! if it still continues then carb disassembly is required to clean it ! if you DID NOT use a stabilizer such as sea foam your gas will begin to varnish and deteriorate in 30 days .
sea foam can be bought at any parts store . I think napa has it on sale right now .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #9

Pulled the carb out, and cleaned it as best I can. The float did look a little gunked up (what a pile of crap).

Took out the plug and it was caked again. Replaced it with what the parts store had available (Champion).

Removed the 1/2" plugs to remove soot. Not much in there and checked the pipe to see if something was in the pipe.....nothing.

Poured a can of seafoam in last night and ran it until it died the first time, which was about 45 minutes of painful listening.

After all this today I started it up and it was still surging. Turned on all the lights, both fans, fridge and stereo. No idea how much load it is actually pulling. The generator runs at the same rpm regardless. The run speed did smooth out and less surging. Let it run for about an hour and a half.

Not happy, but it does seem to run better and is charging.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #10

Well thats better than before. How much gas is left in there? 45 minutes is a good amount of time. I notice when my quads sit over the summer that the gas is worthless. I like to let them idle, and get nice and hot and help get all the gunk out of the carbs.

I've never used sea foam before, but I wonder what a little octane booster in the gas would help, or just topping it back off with fresh gas would help.

Did you get a new weather resistant fuel station switch installed yet? Do you have gas in your fuel station, too?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #11

I have no idea how much gas is in there. I thought I pretty much drained it for the winter. I've put in about 15 gallons thusfar along with the seafoarm. The generator draws from the fuel station.

The switch was replaced or "fixed" last time I had it into the local dealer (not the one I bought it from). I have yet to try it, though I definitely should as I'm leaving for the track in a week.

This generator never goes to a different rpm, always stays the same, of course except when it is surging. Adjusted the altitude knob and that seemed to help ever so slightly.

Well, the calming storm of beer has shown back up (thanks wife). Hopefully, the generator will continue to work next week. I'm charging the boost pack to make sure I can crank it for about an hour without it going totally dead.

This keeps reminding me of the first time I brought it home when the dealer gave me it with a dead battery and had to jump it to get the landing gear to move so I could take it home. Me not having owned a RV before didn't put 2 and 2 together to know that by the time I got home the battery wasn't going to charge itself. Ended up in a AutoZone parking lot buying ridiculous amounts of jumper cables to try and just get the landing gear to move.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #12

The track? What kind of track, do you have some go-fast toys?

Hmmm. My alternator charges my trailer battery through the 7 pin round plug. It will also suck my truck battery dry if I'm camping and don't pay attention. The good part is that at least my generator has a seperate starting battery, and a pull start.

Hmmm. Beer sounds like a good idea right about now. Finished up some concrete sidewalk and patio which was my big project. I've been piecing together a solar system for my trailer and have a few more parts to go install.

Ehh, the stuff I can fix, I'd rather do on my own instead of dealing with towing it around and leaving it with the dealer and trying to find time to pick it up.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #13

This is a old thread but how did it all work out?
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #14

I agree that calling the manufacturer sucks. I had to call a different part of the plant and get transferred a few times to get them on the phone.
The tech support people do not know the product well. I do like my camper but the factory backing is weak which would have steered me away from the work and play and will help me next time I spend 30k.
Landcruiser
Jeep
ATV's
fyreles is offline   Reply With Quote