Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Beware of Arctic Package

Ok so we bought a 2014 WP 25 ULA... got the Arctic package with dual panes windows which are nice, the sprayed insulation on the undercarriage which is ok... not a very good job, and heated tanks like those.

Well the first time we used our camper in NORTH Georgia and the temp got down in the low 20's we figured we were fine. WRONG!!

We brought in the water hose so not to freeze... made sure our fresh water tank was full and turned on the tank heaters.... great!! Come morning we turn on the water and the water pump was working (inside where it was heated to a balmy 68 degrees)... we had NO WATER!! What the? What was wrong with this picture? NO WATER? WHY?

After troubleshooting the water pump.. to see if it was frozen.. no not that... tank heaters not working... no, not that. We go outside to see where the problem may be. And there is was!! In FR's great wisdom... yes they had insulated the trailer and tank but NOT the supply hose that went from the water tank OUTSIDE then back into the warm trailer to the water pump. The less than two foot hose section was frozen solid!! Got our our hair dry and with in minuets we had water.

Later that day we went to the HD and got pipe wrap and spray foam for that small section of the hose. So fa works pretty good.

This is why people who design campers need to use campers. Why would they build a trailer with all the bells and whistles for "winter camping" and leave this small section of hose uncovered? NO WAY are people in North Dakota using there trailers to live in!! (as we were told by the VP of the division).

They could have not run that hose from the tank INTO the trailer in the covered wheel, like they had done with all the other water hoses/pipes. It uses a water pump to pump water out of the tank!!

So if you think you have a 4 season camper... think again!!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

Too bad these trailers aren't what they easily could be . . .
Old 02-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Site Team

You also need to be careful of your outside shower when it gets very cold outside. Very little heat gets to the faucet used for the OS shower. The faucet is generally plastic and cracks easily, Best bet is add a short heat tape and some insulation. The OS shower is often forgotten during cold weather as it is not used.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
FlyBob --- yep have the outside shower winterized. no problem... (fingers crossed) so far.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

This is not the first complaint on this issue. Exact same problem from another member. Yes you would think FR would make sure that was insulated. Glad you found the line, you will probably be fine now. STILL FR can not make a true 4 season unit. Safe Travels.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
... This is why people who design campers need to use campers. ...
So true.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
itch'n to road trip

Here is a short video of the hose that was frozen and uncovered.
Attached Files

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Site Team

I'm not aware of any FR product being advertised as "4 Season".
except for their Ice Cabin trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #9

any insulation package decal is as mis-informing as a 1/2 ton towable decal
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
itch'n to road trip

Davel1971 --- YES AGREED!!

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #11

My Flagstaff has tank heaters and even heaters secured to the waste gates to keep the tank drains from freezing. It has a completely sealed underbelly with insulation and a one piece cover with only wires for brakes and the drain pipes coming out. Every place that something pops out of the belly cover it is siliconed to keep stuff out. All of this and the thing still cannot stay warm on the inside without the furnace running non-stop.
imafordboi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by imafordboi69 View Post
My Flagstaff has tank heaters and even heaters secured to the waste gates to keep the tank drains from freezing. It has a completely sealed underbelly with insulation and a one piece cover with only wires for brakes and the drain pipes coming out. Every place that something pops out of the belly cover it is siliconed to keep stuff out. All of this and the thing still cannot stay warm on the inside without the furnace running non-stop.
Don't feel like the LONE RANGER they are all like that. as far as the camping queen. FR should be ashamed of themselves putting out a product like that.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
any insulation package decal is as mis-informing as a 1/2 ton towable decal
This had me cracking up for awhile!

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #14

I am not sure how to approach this....as I too own a "cold weather" packaged Work & Pay ( yes work & pay )
At no time was this trailer represented to us as a 4 season camper, not by the dealer, the sales rep, or the factory rep we talked to (either by phone or in person during the factory tour). in fact it was quite the opposite, they all cautioned us to not expect this to be used regularly in hard freeze conditions for any amount of time. They advised no more than 24-48 hours sustained temps below 30 degrees.

That being said, i had ours stored outside most of this winter, and did have the furnace on, and water hooked up for a couple of weeks, just to test things. It performed as expected. used alot of fuel, but the 30K BTU furnace kept up fine, actually did better than well. as we stayed toasty while performing some interior upgrades. Once the weather dipped below 25 degrees i put it inside for the remainder of our modification process.

Maybe you all bought from bad dealers, or had a bad factory rep, I'm not sure. I do know that dads advise hasn't ever steered me wrong, don't pay the man until you know what he's sellin'....
1997 TJ-ish....
rjtimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #15

I can understand why the OP thought one way, because of the actual equipment installed on the trailer, insulation, heated tanks etc. leading them to believe the trailer had performance enhancements better than a trailer without
rjtimmer had verbal assurances this was not the case. Very ambiguous.
My question is simply why have the option available at additional cost if it obviously doesn't work?
It would be analogous to installing a refrigerator that doesn't keep food cold.
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by imafordboi69 View Post
Are you talking about the underbelly or the inside of the living area?.If you are talking about the underbelly, I run a 1500 watt heater down there and leave my tank heaters on. Also took one of my remote accustat from the refer and put it down there. I then know what temp all that area is. I have a plug down below so no problem, I also run a small electric heater set at 60 in the living area.....The main control will record the lowest temp and I just adjust the heaters to keep it above freezing down below. I have not had a problem even at extended cold like this year where it hasn't got above 25 for weeks.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:56 AM   #17

It is a "four season", as long as the cold one is spent in Naples.

Check this out.
https://www.wagontrailrv.com/Northwood/DesertFox.php

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #18

That's not entirely true. I have spent a week in mine in sub freezing weather. She kept me warm, and it didn't freeze up. Granted, it wasn't like sitting in front of the fire place, all cozy on a bear skin rug in a rugged front range hunting cabin.
1997 TJ-ish....
rjtimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #19
itch'n to road trip

UPDATE: Frozen water lines

UPDATE: 12-31-2017 --- OK well we did add as much insulation as we could. Both pipe insulation and spray on foam insulation. SO FAR... it has worked for the most part. We have been able to camp in cold weather.

This trip it has NOT worked! We winterize our camper by blowing out the lines and then adding pink anitfreeze. Ok fast fowed to today.. we dewinerzied our camper and added water to the fresh water holding tank to go boondocking at a friends house for the New Year.

We go to run the fresh water and NO WATER! We can hear the water pump working and is pressure on the waterline and when we disconnect the water line there is a little water on the water pump line .... but nothing to the faucets.

So guess the next step is to see if the the inlet supply like it frozen. We will keep you posted.

Does anyone have a WP 25 ULA that has had this problem and have you been able to resolve he issue? If so what did you do?

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #20

Several of our local campgrounds no longer stay open in the winter or if they do, they shut down the water systems in the park. Eastern Nebraska...and cold winters. Too many trailers were turning into Gigantic Glaciers during extreme cold and owners not returning to the trailer for a few days while staying with friends or familys. Two years ago they had to wait till spring to get a trailer out that had froze from the ground up and two inches of ice inside the trailer when the water lines froze and ruptured. Wish I'd got picture the day we saw it...an unbelievable site to see.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote