Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2016, 05:49 AM   #1

Hydraulic Jack Question

I bought my unit used and it seems to have an issue developing with my jacks. When raising the jacks to connect the truck, the solenoid that operates the pump in that direction is possibly overheating and opens an overload device (self resets). The entire system seems to be self contained and I don't see where there is a single small part to change. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have any information on this system like a parts breakdown or is this something I will just have to replace the whole pump system?
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

Does this happen when doing an auto retract? Do they return fully in manual mode? Most hydraulic jack systems have your symptoms when returning, especially when it is cold If they won't fully return after a few attempts in manual mode, you might have a problem, otherwise I would think it is 'normal'.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

This isn't the leveling system. This is the main jacks to raise and lower the front. FYI, mine is a work and play model. When raising the trailer, no problem. When retracting the rams it will run a few seconds then stop. If you listen you can hear what sounds like a thermal overload resetting to allow the pump to run again. If you immediately press the button it will run about one second before repeating the issue. If you wait a minute or so it will run about 5 seconds. A component is definitely failing. I'm wondering if it is something that can be changed or will the entire pump assembly need to be replaced.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sounds like you to need to measure the current draw of the pump.

If it's tripping the thermal overload (circuit breaker) the pump is drawing too much current or the circuit breaker is weakened and no longer able to supply the rated current draw or there could be a restriction in the system making the pump work harder than it should.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #5

5picker has a good idea. I would check all electric connections and also see if the clicking comes from a relay or a pressure switch. If the pump raises the rig fine, I would think the pump is okay.

I also know my jacks come up MUCH easier when I wipe the rams down with silicone spray before I retract. Just a thought.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #6

Is your Battery large enough for this hydraulic system, and all the connections clean and tight? Youroo! !

Tags
hydraulic