Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #1

It's a good thing that these things are so cheaply made.

Our daughter, son-in-law, and 4 grandkids came to visit this past week, we let the parents and the two boys camp out in our 2012 30WRS. Anyway one afternoon while we were out back having a campfire, our 9 and 5 year old grandson went into the trailer, the 5 year old used the bathroom, which he has done many times. He apparently had closed the bathroom sink drain and left the water running for about a half hour or so before my son-in-law noticed all the water on the cement slab coming out from under the trailer. This is our 3rd RV,and thank goodness the first one without carpeting! Forrest Rivers makes these so cheap and not water tight, just a one piece vinyl fake wood floor, all the water just flowed out under the bathroom door, into the bedroom, and out under the left sidewall of the front bedroom. (No wonder this trailer feels so drafty in cold weather). Some extra bedding that was under the bed, and the doorway rug were all that got wet. I previously had explained to the boys not to touch the A/C controls, the water heater switch, the slide out switch all that Forrest Rivers put within easy reach of children, I also had taken the knobs off the gas range. Boys will be boys, I guess.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #2

You have to remember that it is a cargo trailer with living space. Any RV would have done the same thing, leaked out a wall to floor seam somewhere.

Just think what is would be like if it were water tight and there was about 2' of water in it end to end before you discovered the problem...
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

Just sharing a Grandparenting experience.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Denver, CO

grandparenting experience would not have talked about the cheapness of the trailer. You started the story with that and even TITled it that. Disingenuous, at best
Old 07-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
grandparenting experience would not have talked about the cheapness of the trailer. You started the story with that and even TITled it that. Disingenuous, at best
Disingenuous? What do you mean?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #6

Wow! Garbozo, "Disingenuous", I've been called a lot of names by bullies when I was a kid. Never heard that one before. You must be really smart clown to use such big words like, disingenuous.
And, Yes the Work and Play trailers are really cheaply made pieces of junk. In the year and half that I've owned this one all I've done is repair it. The sink should have a over flow hole like your bathroom sink at home.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesroadking View Post
The sink should have a over flow hole like your bathroom sink at home.
Good point, you would think it especially important in a trailer. Just got to thinking, kitchen sinks never have an overflow hole. Now I'm wondering why?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #8

It can happen at home too when our boys were young one turned the upstairs sink on & left it....... faster than the overflow could take it .....The next thing we knew there was water coming through the ceiling onto the floor below..............big mess guess our house was made cheaply with all the water going everywhere it even went into the basement (2 floors & in between to clean up)............

At least I know why no lock are on the bathroom doors in most RVs .... We were on a sales lot looking at campers when one of the boys locked him self in the bathroom 100 degrees & he started screaming as he could not figure out how to get out..... & we could not get in .....Lucky for the RV place they had a tech there that had to take the door off at the hinges to get him out.....

**it happens..............

We all survived them growing up & looking forward to the trials & tribulations of the grandkids.......1st one is 3 months......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #9

James I would be freaking out by now for the possible water damage that might come. The grandkids would have no idea of the worries I would secretly hold, for sure. LOL As for overflow sinks, my basin style kitchen sink (in my home) doesnt have one but my bathrooms do. Ive yet to own an RV that does - we've had a couple motorhomes, travel trailer and now the small A-Frame which none had overflow holes...Ive never thought of that til now. Maybe the builders feel not neccessary for RV use? Since it sounds like youve done some past work on your unit already, Will this incident make you want to replace your existing sink for one with a hole?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #10

Easy solution, don't let any children into your camper!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #11

We only have one spare bed in the house and the fifteen year old granddaughter sleeps there with her long haired Jack Russell that we now keep for her. The two grandsons, 5 and 9 and the 2 and 1/2 year old granddaughter sleep in the RV with our daughter and her husband, a Air Force AC130 Gunship pilot. I'm working on getting them "into" RV'ing.
I have an nicely wooded extra acre out back that would make a good visitors RV campground for our daughter's family, our son's family, and friends in the future just a few miles from where interstate 10 and 75 cross.
I told my daughter, son-in-law, and the boys that their's a no boys alone in the RV policy in effect now. I'll also remove the sinks drain stopper in the future, just like I remove the knobs from the gas stove when kids are around.
I don't think the water caused any permanent damage to the flooring, luckily the wall floor gap is so wide in these Forrest River Toyhaulers and isn't caulked or sealed like you'd think they'd be and the water just flowed right out. Cheaply made is good sometimes.