Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #1

New member and Work and Play owner

Hello, I just won a auction for a 2007 Forest River Work and Play 5th Wheel 34RL. I am new to RV ownership and know very little about this rig. My tow vehicle is a GMC crew cab short bed 4x4 Sierra with the Duramax engine, and Allison trans.

I few questions I have are things like holding tank capacites. Is there any charts that show what size fresh / grey / black water tanks, this was manufactured with?

The RV is a repo unit, so I know it is going to need some TLC. Just how much, I won't know until I get it home. When I inspected it prior to bidding, I was able to plug the 7 pin into my truck, when I did that, the electric landing gear functioned, interior and exterior lights work, as did the audio system. The lights on the upper rifrigerator panel came on as well.

My truck currently has a B&W turnover ball installed, so I plan to convert the RV to gooseneck. I plan to use the RV to haul my dirt bikes to the Enduro races I compete in. And hopefully some family vacations?

Thank you in advance for all of your advise.

2007 Forest River Work and Play 5th Wheel 34RL - Repocast.com®

Old 12-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #2

Welcome.

First may I suggest.

Is B&W made.

https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&...ined=undefined

Old 12-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Welcome.

First may I suggest.

Is B&W made.

https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&...ined=undefined
Thanks, I did know that those are an option. I may end up with one at some point.

What drove may decision to convert the trailer was the end use of it. Goosenecks hitches are primarily used on equipment and livestock rigs. Those see much more "uneven" terrian when towing. Most all of the races I run, are in remote areas, not traditional camp grounds, think remote forrest trail heads. The added articulation available with the ball versus a fifth wheel plate, allows the trailer to access rougher terrian.

Ranch Hitch Universal 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Coupler Adapter Andersen Trailer Coupler AM3100
Old 12-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
Thanks, I did know that those are an option. I may end up with one at some point.

What drove may decision to convert the trailer was the end use of it. Goosenecks hitches are primarily used on equipment and livestock rigs. Those see much more "uneven" terrian when towing. Most all of the races I run, are in remote areas, not traditional camp grounds, think remote forrest trail heads. The added articulation available with the ball versus a fifth wheel plate, allows the trailer to access rougher terrian.

Ranch Hitch Universal 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Coupler Adapter Andersen Trailer Coupler AM3100

I can understand that.
One of the guys at my work did the goose neck change for about the same
reason.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

You should be able to go to the forest river website and the work and play section and look up your trailer and get the specs on it. the new trailers may have just a little more tank capacity,but, it won't change a lot.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Colegrove View Post
You should be able to go to the forest river website and the work and play section and look up your trailer and get the specs on it. the new trailers may have just a little more tank capacity,but, it won't change a lot.
I'll try that, thanks.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:

. . .

My truck currently has a B&W turnover ball installed, so I plan to convert the RV to gooseneck. I plan to use the RV to haul my dirt bikes to the Enduro races I compete in. And hopefully some family vacations?

Are familiar with the "Anderson Hitch"? Use this with your B&W gooseneck to haul your 5th wheel with no modifications!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Interesting- the B&W head pivots side to side to allow unlevel hooking up; I just don't know to what degree. I know when my camper sunk on one side and the camper made contact with the truck, the hitch held tight - but that's a whole lot different than trying to hitch or unhitch like that!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Hello, I just won a auction for a 2007 Forest River Work and Play 5th Wheel 34RL. I am new to RV ownership and know very little about this rig. My tow vehicle is a GMC crew cab short bed 4x4 Sierra with the Duramax engine, and Allison trans.

I few questions I have are things like holding tank capacites. Is there any charts that show what size fresh / grey / black water tanks, this was manufactured with?

The RV is a repo unit, so I know it is going to need some TLC. Just how much, I won't know until I get it home. When I inspected it prior to bidding, I was able to plug the 7 pin into my truck, when I did that, the electric landing gear functioned, interior and exterior lights work, as did the audio system. The lights on the upper rifrigerator panel came on as well.

Welcome aboard Turbo, we have a few things in common, I too ride enduros, I too have a work and play 5th wheel. Although this is my 3rd camper it is my second toyhauler and first fifth wheel. Mine is the 27ul thats the shortest w&p 5thwheel (the unlta light one that looks like a horse trailer) lol.
Sounds like your repo may just have a dead battery - seeing how when you plugged in your 7way and all the electrics started working. You say you are new to RV ownership, all I can say is once you have your own shower and dry bed at the races, you will never go back to tents again heh heh. I tow using a Slider 5th wheel hitch, although I could have saved some money on the hitch cause with the tapered (rounded nose) of my trailer I have never had the need to slide the hitch back - I can do a almost a 90 degree turn in my short bed box without sliding it back. And uneven rough roads in/out of camp have never been an issue.
I do like the idea of a goose neck cause it would give just a little more room in the bed to haus ice chests or fire wood etc.

BTW where do you race? I chaised points in TSCEC, BJEC and SERA for several years now i just ride a few select events - im more dual sport these days.

Good luck with your new venture - keep us posted on your travels. And post of some pictures!

Here is my rig!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp_owner View Post
Are familiar with the "Anderson Hitch"? Use this with your B&W gooseneck to haul your 5th wheel with no modifications!
The Anderson is actually the one I bought. I found one with the 8" off-set on CL about 50 miles from my house, gave $150.00 for it and I was very happy, it has seen very little use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Interesting- the B&W head pivots side to side to allow unlevel hooking up; I just don't know to what degree. I know when my camper sunk on one side and the camper made contact with the truck, the hitch held tight - but that's a whole lot different than trying to hitch or unhitch like that!
Since my truck had the goose neck in it when I bought it, and I'm a CHEAP SOB, I could not see putting a fifth wheel in, when the gooseneck would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Welcome aboard Turbo, we have a few things in common, I too ride enduros, I too have a work and play 5th wheel. Although this is my 3rd camper it is my second toyhauler and first fifth wheel. Mine is the 27ul thats the shortest w&p 5thwheel (the unlta light one that looks like a horse trailer) lol.
Sounds like your repo may just have a dead battery - seeing how when you plugged in your 7way and all the electrics started working. You say you are new to RV ownership, all I can say is once you have your own shower and dry bed at the races, you will never go back to tents again heh heh. I tow using a Slider 5th wheel hitch, although I could have saved some money on the hitch cause with the tapered (rounded nose) of my trailer I have never had the need to slide the hitch back - I can do a almost a 90 degree turn in my short bed box without sliding it back. And uneven rough roads in/out of camp have never been an issue.
I do like the idea of a goose neck cause it would give just a little more room in the bed to haus ice chests or fire wood etc.

BTW where do you race? I chaised points in TSCEC, BJEC and SERA for several years now i just ride a few select events - im more dual sport these days.

Good luck with your new venture - keep us posted on your travels. And post of some pictures!

Here is my rig!
Thats a nice looking rig!

Yes, my battery is dead.

I picked the unit up last night. We had to run the power elevators up, to get the truck under the gooseneck, the fuse on my truck blew! Luckily a friend of mine had his little SUV there, so we used jumper cables from his SUV, directly to the trailer battery, that allowed us to run the landing gear up. The landing gear acted a little funny? At first it would not go high enough, but after to going up and down a few times, it did get up where we needed it. Maybe its low on fluid, or just doesn't like the cold? Anyhow, trailer needs a battery, truck needs a fuse.

The trip home was slow, because I was just feeling things out. It is big, and heavy. I have hauled my fair share with this Dmax, this was one of the biggest things yet. The gooseneck adapter has a 8" off set, my turnover ball has a 4" back set, and the king pin is 3" forward of the trailer, all of that adds up to 55" between the back of the cab of the truck, and the front of trailer. Trailer is 102" wide, so if my math is right I have 4" of safety margin on a 90deg turn.

I did manage to get it in my back yard, in a spot where I can work on it. Plugged in some shore power, and everthing inside came to life! There was even enough propane in the left side tank, for the furnace to run a little bit.

It is missing the table from the garage area, and it's support poles. Most everything else seems to be there. Found the pole to release the catch on the awning and the crank for the rear landing gear Also the big power cord for the shore power.

First repairs will be the roof vent covers. All three are trash. Previous owner had big black plywood boxes covering them, I think those covers held the heat in, and basicly melted the plastic covers.

Then a deep cleaning, followed by removing the peeling decals and wheeling out the faded black exterior finish.

I race AMA D14 Enduros 50+ class.
http://www.d14enduro.org/flyers/2014...s_schedule.pdf

My goal in this whole deal was exactly what you said, a warm bed, shower bathroom and the ability to eat healthy at the races. The my wife started thinking about al the "other" things we could do with an RV and it just snow balled from there.

To be honest, I never thought I would win this auction, I bid a max of $7,000.00 and I really believed it would go above 10k. But it's mine now, at the very worst, if I have to resell it, it shouldn't lose too much.

I'll try to post the few pic I took yesterday.

Thanks for the replies, and advice, I'm going to need a lot more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	43863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	43864  

Tags
work and play