Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #1

What's Up, No Generator Rack Tie-Downs Eyelets

My 2012 Work and Play 30WRS came with a Generator Rack so I picked a 3500 watt 30 amp RV generator and have it set up on the rack. Why in the world wouldn't Forrest River weld on to the frame some tie down eyelets?
I've got it temporarily tied down with four motorcycle straps that rap around the frame. I don't have easy access to welding equipment, any other better ideas?
Thanks
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Most generators mounted to RV's are bolted down, and use rubber isolators between the generator and the RV. Since you didn't get a generator, they didn't know what you might buy, and therefore, did not drill any holes. You didn't say exactly what generator you bought, but if it is sitting on ribber feet, maybe you can remove those, and then drill your rack and bolt it down. Would also make it harder to steal.

Another option is to get some "d" rings, and bolt them to your genny rack, and strap the genny down to them.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #3

I do not believe Forest River offered a generator specifically for the rack on the Work and Play toy haulers.
Besides they could not just bolt it down, it's an open heavy wire mesh design.
The generator is a Champion 3500 with a 30 amp RV outlet I bought on Amazon, I had to remove the wheels for it to fit on the rack.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #4

I could not see using the rack for a generator, too close to the trailer. I will walk my Honda 2000 away from the trailer and use a large cable to lock it to something so it does not walk away. I ended up putting a Delta tounge box on the rack..

You could use d rings. just drill a hole in the angle iron frame and some carrige bolts.

D rings
D-Rings for Highland, Lets Go Aero & Rola Hitch Mounted Cargo Carriers - 4 Pack Highland Accessories and Parts 5800700
Delta Box
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #5

It's a generator rack and it's the right size for a 3500 watt generator. Actually the generator is fine running located there. With the windows closed and the A/C on it's no louder than my 6000 watt diesel generator that I had in my Monaco class A motorhome a few years back, besides I would not want to be loading and unloading the generator from the back of the truck or the garage area every time we stop at a rest area and wanted a little A/C. The point is, Forest River installed the generator rack to hold generators and I just can not understand why in the world they would not have put tie down eyelets, or clap down system with the rack.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Another rat in the race

Drill some holes in the lip and put shackles on or use carabiners/ threaded chain links
Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #7

I'm leaving tomorrow with the new toy hauler with the generator strapped onto the generator rack on our first outing, heading over to Pensacola, 360 miles one way. In the last three months have been just taking it back and forth to the selling dealership for warranty repairs. Been thinking of eventually putting the generator into the bed of the truck, but the power cord is a little short, and I don't have any of my boys close by to help load and unload the generator from the bed of the truck.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #8

James, do you have a 5O amp or 30 Amp service? Mine came with 5O amp and that huge 25 foot power cord. I purchased a 50 foot cord and 50 to 30 amp adapter from CW. I use the 30 amp cord which longer and much easier to move around when I run out to my generator in the truck or away from the RV. I use the 50 amp If I plan on running both AC's. The 50 foot cord is about $60 to $80 depending if itls on sale or not. The 50 to 30 amp adpater is about $99... Not cheap but it will make it easier to keep your genny in the truck or away from the RV..

Have a good trip.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #9

Well back from the first shake down trip with the 30WRS Work and Play. water pump under the bath room sink sprang a leak, some little inline filter or anti back flow plastic thing with a screw on cap needed alittle little more elbow greese. Will make the access panels removable for alot more added storage area in the bathroom.
The generator worked fine, but I am concerned about the heat from the exhaust damaging the gel coat. I might try lifting the generator to the F250's bed for the next trip, it will fit under the tonneau cover like it just fits onto the generator rack if I keep the wheel kit removed.
1/243, I have those adpters for the power cords (left overs from when I had a class A coach). I actually use the 30 amp to 115 adpter to an heavy extension cord for plugging in at home. The A/C, frig, TV's, etc. all work fine using the 115 volt plug in adpter, but I might just pick up an 30 amp RV extension cord that way I can plug into the 30 amp RV generators outlet.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #10

50 amp to 30 amp adapters are about $20 - $25 at Walmart (if you can find one that stocks them - we went to about 5 Walmarts last year before finding one that had one).

Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #11

I just went on Walmart web site to check that out. I have never even seen one of those. $14.95 is better thant $99.99

Walmart.com: Road Power 50/30-Amp RV Power Adapter: Computers

James seems that there is always something that goes wrong on the first trip. Did the water leak cause damage? How did you find it?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesroadking View Post
Well back from the first shake down trip with the 30WRS Work and Play. water pump under the bath room sink sprang a leak, some little inline filter or anti back flow plastic thing with a screw on cap needed alittle little more elbow greese. Will make the access panels removable for alot more added storage area in the bathroom.
The generator worked fine, but I am concerned about the heat from the exhaust damaging the gel coat. I might try lifting the generator to the F250's bed for the next trip, it will fit under the tonneau cover like it just fits onto the generator rack if I keep the wheel kit removed.
1/243, I have those adpters for the power cords (left overs from when I had a class A coach). I actually use the 30 amp to 115 adpter to an heavy extension cord for plugging in at home. The A/C, frig, TV's, etc. all work fine using the 115 volt plug in adpter, but I might just pick up an 30 amp RV extension cord that way I can plug into the 30 amp RV generators outlet.

James got any pics of your new rig, I would like to see it..