Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #1

15 amp (Garage Outlet) Electrical Protection

So I’m planning on getting the Progressive Industries Ems-pt30x for power protection when connected to a 30 amp power source.

I currently have a 30 amp to 15 amp dogbone for connecting the TT to the 15 amp outlet in my garage (no electrical protection).

My question is, can I use the ems-pt30x between my 30 amp TT cord and the 30 to 15 amp dogbone to provide electrical protection to the TT?

Will the ems-pt30x detect the 15 amp service and kill power to the TT?

If so, should I just plug a standard 15 amp 6 outlet extension cord, with surge protection, into the 15 amp garage outlet and then plug the 15 amp end of the dogbone into one of the six outlets?

Thanks,
Jerry
Jdog1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

My answers in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog1065 View Post
So I’m planning on getting the Progressive Industries Ems-pt30x for power protection when connected to a 30 amp power source.

I currently have a 30 amp to 15 amp dogbone for connecting the TT to the 15 amp outlet in my garage (no electrical protection).

My question is, can I use the ems-pt30x between my 30 amp TT cord and the 30 to 15 amp dogbone to provide electrical protection to the TT?

Yes

No, the ems doesn't care if it has 30 amps or 15 amps as long as it's 120 vac.

If so, should I just plug a standard 15 amp 6 outlet extension cord, with surge protection, into the 15 amp garage outlet and then plug the 15 amp end of the dogbone into one of the six outlets?

I wouldn't use an multi-outlet extension cord to plug in a rv. Unless the rv is the only thing your plugging into the multi-outlet cord you will need monitor it all the time so you can reset the breaker when it trips. There's too big a chance of overloading the 15 or 20 amp circuit your plugged into.

Thanks,
Jerry
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 PM   #3

Awesome! Thank you for the quick reply Scrapper!!!
Jdog1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #4

Just wanted to chime in.
I have the install version PI-EMS30. It has worked as designed connected to my ancient garage with it's single 12awg supplied 20 amp circuit. It monitors the voltage loss from the length of cable and has shut down power when running the TT air conditioning when I had the TT parked a distance away from the garage due to low voltage. It also wouldn't power up when I plugged it in to a different jack that apparently had no ground (got to fix that).
It is a goal of mine to run 8awg as a minimum to my garage for better overall power there and add a 30TT jack. Don't know if it will happen this year ;(
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog1065 View Post

Thanks,
Jerry
Mine is always plugged in just as you described with no problems. I do not have to use an extension cord so there is no loss there and can run my A/C with no problems.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #6

Jdog, use at least a 12 guage extension cord, or better yet the 10 guage cord that comes with the trailer.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #7

I don't use my Progressive Industries EMS when I plug in at home because I had dedicated 20 amp circuit installed for outdoor use. It had a 15 amp CFCI outlet which failed recently so I replaced it with a 20 amp GFCI outlet which seems to work fine. I know the circuit is good because I used the EMS to verify everything was OK initially. A word of caution on using extension cords: it is very easy to overload an extension cord resulting in overheating and a fire hazard. If you MUST use an extension cord make sure it is as short as possible and rated for load you connect to it.
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #8

As a licensed master electrician for 30+ years and an TT owner for 20+ years I would say that Scrapper was right on the money! As well as the others who recommend No extension cord unless it's big enough and no longer than absolutely necessary! Also keep in mind that your 15 Amp breaker feeding garage outlet may not be enough to run everything in your TT at the same time.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2002Wanderer View Post
I don't use my Progressive Industries EMS when I plug in at home because I had dedicated 20 amp circuit installed for outdoor use. It had a 15 amp CFCI outlet which failed recently so I replaced it with a 20 amp GFCI outlet which seems to work fine. I know the circuit is good because I used the EMS to verify everything was OK initially. A word of caution on using extension cords: it is very easy to overload an extension cord resulting in overheating and a fire hazard. If you MUST use an extension cord make sure it is as short as possible and rated for load you connect to it.
Not using our EMS when at home is leaving you open to potential damage from voltage spikes or brownouts and the resulting damage to sensitive electronics in ur camper.

You have the device to protect it. There is no downside to having it connected at home. Why not use it?

Tags
electric, electrical