Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Smile 1st time RV. Purchased used 2006 Flagstaff 27BHSS

We have many questions as we did not get any manuals with the TT. Does anyone know if there is a place online to get the manuals? We're in Franklin, Texas and its getting in the 100+ temps. Our A/C cannot keep the trailer cool. We're planning in taking our first trip in a couple of weeks but we need to address this MAJOR issue! I believe it's a 15. Also, is there a video somewhere that explains how to set up the manual awning? Sorry for all the questions! Totally new to the RV thing & very excited but we have a lot to learn! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
2Barnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Haulin' Camp

Welcome! There are many good videos on YouTube that will show you how to work the awning.
2 Dogs

KewlKamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

We live in Missouri and it gets very hot here as well. After the first time camping in 100 degree temps that the A/C couldn't handle we bought pillow foam that happened to be the exact size needed to put up into the vents and got one oversize and cut it to size for the shower skylight. A fan in the front of the trailer and one in the rear keeps the air moving. This has worked very well the last two summers for us. And of course we keep the shades down as well to help hold in the cool air.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

you can install a fantastic fan in your vents and run a fan in the trailer. Also it is an older unit so you might want to see if the AC needs servicing.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlKamperz View Post
Welcome! There are many good videos on YouTube that will show you how to work the awning.
Thank you for your help! I'll search YouTube & see what I can find!
Old 07-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
We live in Missouri and it gets very hot here as well. After the first time camping in 100 degree temps that the A/C couldn't handle we bought pillow foam that happened to be the exact size needed to put up into the vents and got one oversize and cut it to size for the shower skylight. A fan in the front of the trailer and one in the rear keeps the air moving. This has worked very well the last two summers for us. And of course we keep the shades down as well to help hold in the cool air.
I really like the idea of the pillow foam in the skylights. Especially since there is one right over our bed in the front of the trailer. Although I'm not sure I understand what you meant about putting the foam in the a/c vents. It looks like we're going to have to be aggressive with finding ways to keep the heat out this summer! Otherwise wait til it cools off. Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
you can install a fantastic fan in your vents and run a fan in the trailer. Also it is an older unit so you might want to see if the AC needs servicing.
We're actually going to have the A/C checked out this week. What is a fantastic fan? Thank you for your help! I hope we can resolve this problem so we can enjoy our travel trailer!
Old 07-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #8

We have a 2006 Rockwood TT that I have made some mods on, and maybe others can chime in on other helpful hints. Of course we try to choose shady campsites when possible in the summer time, but the last couple of seasons had 100 plus temps here in MO and can't always keep the afternoon sun at bay. So I went to Lowes and installed window film with 99% %UV block, and 70 % heat block(Gila) platinum. This really works as I have had sites in the full sun(no choice) and the TT's A/C(13.5K) has caught up to set temperature (74 degrees)and turned off. I also supplement indoor airflow with fans to keep the falling cold air stirred up(I have a 28' TT with single pane windows). I was so impressed I installed left over film on my home windows and can see the energy savings on my yearly bill reports. I have the insulated vent covers also and can say the little things you do all add up to more comfortable conditions inside your TT. Good luck with your new to you trailer!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #9

A Fan-Tastic Fan is a fan that installs in your 14 x 14 vent in the ceiling (should be a vent in the bathroom, and you may have others). Here's their website: FanTastic Vent - Home Page. Camping World and most RV places sell them. They are typically 3 speeds. Fancy ones have remote controls and I think some are reversible and some have thermostats. In spring and fall, they're all you need. They are also excellent for pulling the moist air out of your bathroom.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #10

Thank you so much for all the helpful tips! Maybe these modifications will make it bearable! We welcome any advise!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #11

The vents I mentioned putting the foam in were the air vents, not the A/C vents. We have two of them about 12 inches square. One in the Living area ceiling and one in the bedroom. You close the vents and stuff the foam up in them from the inside.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #12

Smile Getting Ready for our first Trip!

We're still learning ALL the things about our (new to us) 2006 Flagstaff 27BHSS. We're planning on taking a small trip next week and still have a few questions that maybe you guys can help us with. As mentioned before, we have no owners manuals to refer to. We have a Dometic refrigerator/freezer. The freezer seems to get really cold. However, I'm not certain about the refrigerator staying cold enough for our food. I do not see a way to adjust the temperature. And what exactly should the temperature be to keep food from spoiling? Also, we've noticed a few wasps in the interior. Thinking maybe they are coming in through the outside vents for the refrigerator. Any advise on successful ways to keep them out? And finally (for now), my husband noticed that there was water that had been sitting in the freshwater tank whenever we bought it from the previous owners. We are not sure how long the water has been sitting in the tank. Is there a safe way to sanitize the tank before we use it? My husband, Kevin, is not computer savvy at all! So I'm the go between! Thank you all in advance for any help you can give!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
daydreaming about camping

how to sanitize:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49478099,d.eWU

for the wasps, they most likely have a nest in the heater flu:
How to Clean RV Furnace Vents | eHow

On most dometic firdge models there is a slider on the last fin to the right, up is colder, down is warmer.
http://www.dometic.com/ee18938c-ea46...117e2e61.fodoc

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote