Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

2001 Flagstaff 827bh (I think BH) Furnace Questions

Hi I just bought a 2001 Flagstaff. I think the model is 827BH assuming the BH stands for bunk house? My question is, will my furnace work on battery alone? How do tell if my furnace is able to run on 12v? It works when plugged in and will not start when its not plugged is it as cut and dry as that? Also even my interior lights don't seem to work when not plugged in to 110v is there a switch or something to switch between 12v and 110?

Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

furnace is 12 volt only
lights are 12v

your converter is running your items when plugged in to shore power. it also charges your battery .

have you checked your battery condition ?
is it even there ?

TURBS
sounds like its dead.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #3

Yes there is two batteries, perhaps they are bad but I have a solar panel that has a gauge that shows them charging when plugged in. It was also down one bar before I plugged it in and went to full which I would think indicates the batteries are taking a charge... so are all trailer furnaces 12v ? Does that mean the furnace blower should run when not plugged into shore power? I guess maybe the simplest thing or at least my first step would be to figure how to get my lights to work when not plugged in...lol Above the radio there is a volt meter with a red switch to the left of it.. could this have something to do with it?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

it may be a bad curcuit breaker normally hidden after the batteries in the positive cable . under the hitch ?
my 2006 flagstaff 832bhss had a curcuit breaker and a fuse just behind the hitch under the under belly in a normal house hold metal electrical box .
start there .

TURBS
Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #5

Will do thanks for the tip... I basically just needed to hear that the lights should simply work when not plugged in. No switches etc that I should be looking for. I will test the batteries tonight and chase some wires etc. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deplacent
Will do thanks for the tip... I basically just needed to hear that the lights should simply work when not plugged in. No switches etc that I should be looking for. I will test the batteries tonight and chase some wires etc. Thanks!
Update your findings
Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #7

Well you were right... the trailer has 2 housings for batteries but one was completely missing and the other is stone dead. I guess my next step will be to get a battery...lol I am in Nova Scotia Canada and our winter is about to start here so I am just going to wait until the spring to get one. My friend has a battery that I can borrow so I will do some testing on all my appliances soon. Thanks again!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deplacent
Well you were right... the trailer has 2 housings for batteries but one was completely missing and the other is stone dead. I guess my next step will be to get a battery...lol I am in Nova Scotia Canada and our winter is about to start here so I am just going to wait until the spring to get one. My friend has a battery that I can borrow so I will do some testing on all my appliances soon. Thanks again!
Good to hear it was nothing seriously wrong other than the wallet being lighter.
Word of caution I wouldn't run your slides if you have any without a battery that's a sure way to fry your converter.
Good luck!

Turbs
Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #9

Yikes! I didnt know that... Thanks for the tip!. Little update... borrowed a firends deep cycle battery and everying works as expected furnace and blower fire up just fine on battery. Not sure why the previous owner said it woulnd't likely becaue he had a stone dead chepy car battery in it...lol
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #10

Here's just a few ideas regarding solving electrical problems. If you don't have a planned approach you'll likely be chasing your tail. Most troubleshooting starts by checking the battery voltage. 1. Not connected to 110-Volts a fully charged battery (B+) should read around 12.3 to 12.6-V. If it's less it's not charged. Now plug in your 110-V plug and check the voltage at the battery again. It should read 13.6-14.2-Volts depending on how low the charge was. If it still reads the first voltage either your converter is not working or there's an open in the wire coming from the converter. To check the converter output at the converter there is a circuit board that has the + & - contacts marked as the output to the battery. You may have to take the cover off. I did this last week and I have no voltage at my B+ but 13.7-V's coming out of the converter. I'm not home so I have not found the problem.

Almost everything in your TT works off of 12-V's. Those that don't: AC, Microwave, electric hot water heater and of course your 110 outlets. It's set up this way so you can boon dock camp with no amenities.

If you've got 13.7-V's at the battery and still some or all of your 12-V items are dim or not working then it's your batteries not accepting a charge. That's a good start at trouble shooting electrical systems.

TeJay

Tags
2001 flagstaff furnace