Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

2006 Flagstaff 831BHSS questions

Hello All,

I am new to these forums and look forward to reading and learning a lot here. I have a 2006 831BHSS that I have had since new and I am having a handful of issues that I don't know how to fix. We have a seasonal site here in PA and are getting ready to open so I could use some help. I am going to list the issues and if anyone has an suggestions please reply.

1- Leak in the front and rear. Front leaks only when it rains VERY hard for a long time (all night rain type of thing) and it seems like it comes from the bottom of the front window. I tried silicone around the window but the same thing. Rear leaks passenger side rear corner. No idea where it is coming from but the desk area gets wet. The only thing I have ever done to the roof is clean it twice per year. Do I need to do more? Do I need to re calk and possible re calk the windows?

2- Sponge floor. I have always felt the flagstaff has had a sponge floor but some areas are just worse then others. Is this common or something I should worry about?

3- Ceiling dropping just a bit. I noticed the ceiling material droops just a bit in a few areas. When I push it back up it sticks and then after about an hour falls back, almost like the glue no longer holds. Worth fixing? If so how?

Finally, I would like to hear some general maintenance tips or things I should look at now that my trailer is going on 6 years old. I have fixed curtains, shower heads, shower curtains, etc which is all stuff I expect to break over time but the leaking etc I dont want to wait for it to get worse. Please make any suggestions you might have. We really love this trailer but were thinking of trading it on a park model now that we are seasonal. The problem is we are still paying on it and upside down. these things sure dont hold value very long!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kevin

Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #2

I may be able to help with some of your issues. I would almost put money down that all your leaking problems are coming from the roof. Fix this ASAP. Go to any RV dealer and get the correct caulking for your roof type. I assume you have a rubber roof. It is good that you keep it clean so that should help find loose, cracking, or missing caulk. Once with the caulk, check every location that has caulk on it. That would include the permitter of the roof, any vents, air conditioner, ladder, antenna, etc... Your sagging ceiling could be from water intrusions as well.

Im not sure about the floor. I know that the new trailers they are making now have 1/4 inch wood with a styrofoam insulation. I suppose the insulation could be becoming soft.

As for maintenance you should keep up on the following:
1. Roof preventive care. Cleaning and checking the caulking.
2. IF you have slides: Dry lube on gears and slide mechanism & seal foam cleaner/conditioner on the black seals around the slide.
3. Silicone spray your jacks and door hinges.
4. Clean your air conditioning filter found in the inside of your trailer in the ceiling grate.
5. Use white lithium grease on your door locks.
6. Check caulking around the whole outside of trailer including: windows, lights, skirting, vents, fenders, slides, where walls meet, etc...
7. Check your air pressure in tires constantly. Make sure they are at the max pressure everyday of a trip.
8. If your wheel bearings have not been re-packed since you have owned the trailer then take it to an RV dealer and get it done. This is very important to do. Replacing the bearings is not cheap.
9. Maintaining the awning and outside of the trailer is a constant need as well.
10. Sometimes your exterior lights get dirty on the inside and some collect water. Take the cover off and clean.

I am sure there are more items but this was off the top of my head.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #3

Thank you very much for the info. Can anyone tell me, or direct me to a post, about the proper way to caulk the roof and the best stuff to use? Actually the proper way to caulk anything.. Windows etc. Do you have to scrape off all of the old caulk? On the roof I imagine that would be a problem, or do you just caulk over top of the old stuff? Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #4

You can find about anything needed on youtube. Just type in the search area what you are looking for and you will get all sorts of info with video to top. Happy camping.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #5

What do you guys think about the roof sealer products? Some people in our campground use this stuff and roll it on like paint every other year. I have also heard from some people that this is not a good idea. What are the thoughts for a Flagstaff trailer? Also, I took the advice above regarding youTube but I cant find anything specific to removing / recaulking a roof and windows. Does anyone have a link to a video they could share or just pointers? How do you remove the old stuff or do you even bother? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #6

Here is a link to help you.
There are many more on youtube, just search for "How To Maintain Your RV Roof" in the search field for youtube.

I would not use the roll on paint stuff unless your entire roof is in bad shape.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #7

Thanks again for the info. After reading a bunch of threads on this forum I am starting to become very nervous. I have 3 different leaks in the Flagstaff but they are all minor amounts of water so I have never really though much of it. I hope there is not serious damage. I have had it covered all winter so it should not have received any additional damage over the winter but as soon as I get it opened up I will be checking the roof again as well as the windows. I think most of my leaks are window leaks.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #8

You bet. That would be great if it was just your windows. That is an easy caulk fix. Good luck and keep me updated as to how it goes.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #9

I really wish Forrest River would have put a slight bow in the roof like other campers. The flat roof and a seasonal site has caused long term stains etc. I wash the roof typically 2 times per year but maybe I need to do more. As for the floor it has always been soft. Do you guys think the flagstaff floors are a bit soft. I just noticed them being a bit softer and again I hope it is not from the leaks. Might be time to push this sucker off a cliff ;-)
Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #10

All the new Forest River trailers do have a bowed roof so it has water run off. The roofs are all walkable too. The floor may feel a bit soft because it is made out of a vacuum bonded foam with 16' on center aluminum floor joists. So it may give a bit because of the foam. Not much wood in the floor to rot since it is just a small layer on the top where the floor is put on top of.

Not sure with your roof if it is a EPDM Rubber Roof or a Vinyl Roof. The Vinyl roof is what they are using now. It is a bit more durable, cleans easier, and you do not need special cleaners to clean it like the rubber roof. It also does not leave black streaks as much as the rubber roof.

My last trailer had the rubber roof and I cleaned it and treated it with special rubber roof treatment and it still stained and had spots. Not sure you can avoid that with the rubber roof. Cleaning it will still help it last longer and deter from the black streaks a bit.

Not sure if any of this helped. You can go to Flagstaff Trailers Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels Brochures
for more info on the 2012 models.

Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote