Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
The Old Man

2010 829RGSS Shakedown Cruise

Finally got the rig on the road and now it's parked at my permanent campsite for the summer. I'm in love all over again.

For those who might be interested, some initial issues that have been (or will be) taken care of onsite under warranty:

1. The Olevia TV was DOA and a new one has been ordered. Olevia? What is that? Worked during the pre-delivery review, but after being on the road the first time it just went zzzcchhh. Oh well, I watch too much TV while at home anyway.

2. Some of the spline on the screen door had been incorrectly installed and the screen was already coming loose.

3. One of the connectors near the city water inlet had a tiny crack and was dripping water. That worked out well, because the plastic part that was cracked was the same one I was going to have to replace with my winterization bypass valve. I handed the new fitting to the tech and asked "Can you use this one instead since you're replacing it anyway?" And he said OK! So that saved me 1/2 hour upside down on my back wedged between the toilet and cabinet.

4. One of the small reading lights over the bed was defective and so a replacement is on order.

5. Some of the caulking on the roof has a few very minor hairline cracks already (it was a brutally hot spring here in NC). So when the service tech gets back with my new TV and reading light he will be heading up to the roof.

Other comments:

1. Discovered that the "Fantastic Fan" is wired into the main bathroom circuit. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn on...it had worked before! Oh, you mean it's connected to the switch and to leave the fan running I have to leave the bathroom light switch on??? That's weird.

2. Also discovered that when that same bathroom light switch is on I can faintly hear a small fan running. I think it's a fan for the refrigerator because that's were the sound is coming from. Even weirder.

3. There is only one very poorly placed 110v receptacle above the kitchen counter. I plan to add at least one more, maybe two.

I created a thread just for this particular issue:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...acle-6734.html

Overall, this TT is a nice upgrade from my 37ft 2000 Fleetwood Mallard. With just my wife and me we really didn't need more than one bedroom. This TT has a sleeper sofa with an air mattress should anyone ever stop by to spend the night. The 829RGSS uses the space usually devoted to a 2nd BR for creating a REAL bathroom. It's bigger than the one in my first apartment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	829RGSS15.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	2792   Click image for larger version

Name:	829RGSS16.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	2793  

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #2

Congrats on the new unit. Looks really nice. Get all those bugs worked out, then sit back and enjoy!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #3

"2. Also discovered that when that same bathroom light switch is on I can faintly hear a small fan running. I think it's a fan for the refrigerator because that's were the sound is coming from. Even weirder."

Is your converter/distribution unit located beneath the refridgerator? It is our Flagstaff and the small cooling fan inside will cycle on and off frequently unless we trip the GFI plug next to one of the storage cabinets. Haven't figured out where the problem is yet.
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Dodgeman View Post
"2. Also discovered that when that same bathroom light switch is on I can faintly hear a small fan running. I think it's a fan for the refrigerator because that's were the sound is coming from. Even weirder."

Is your converter/distribution unit located beneath the refridgerator? It is our Flagstaff and the small cooling fan inside will cycle on and off frequently unless we trip the GFI plug next to one of the storage cabinets. Haven't figured out where the problem is yet.
Yes, considered that it may be a cooling fan for the converter which is as you said under the refrigerator. Haven't had the rig long enough to determine if this fan cycles on and off. (Will have to leave the bathroom light switch on! )

I'd guess this is normal behavior, but why would a cooling fan be switched?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

With our converter, I notice that just 1 or 2 of lights the fan stays off, but will cycle on after adding a little more load to the system.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
With our converter, I notice that just 1 or 2 of lights the fan stays off, but will cycle on after adding a little more load to the system.
OK...that makes sense! It's not really the switch controlling the fan but rather the increased load. Will have to experiment to confirm this. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #7

Well, thank you, Willis! We too have a non-working Fantastic fan. It worked the first time we tried it, not since. The fuse looked OK, but, I changed it anyway, was thinking maybe the micro switch for the vent cover might have gone bad. I can hardly wait now to get out and turn on those bathroom switches.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab, Vortec Max
Prodigy, Reece DC

GAL119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
The Old Man

Concerning the converter fan...it's definitely related to load. The fan will come on with various combinations of load throughout the trailer. Unfortunately, it seems if the load is at some "in-between" level that the fan goes off and on rapidly and if it's not "full on" it squeaks like a bearing is bad or it's out of balance or something. Probably a cheap fan. I'll have to look and see if it's replaceable.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #9

A note to thank you again, Willis. You saved me yanking out the fantastic fan and bringing it 160 miles to my dealer only to discover there's nothing wrong with it.

We plugged in the trailer on the weekend and I went directly to the bathroom and turned on the wall switch. The Fantastic Fan worked fantastically!

In our unit, the ceiling light is also on that same circuit and you can shut it off separately. The wall switch can be easily reached from the porcelain throne if the local atmosphere becomes polluted. Not a bad system.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab, Vortec Max
Prodigy, Reece DC

GAL119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
The Old Man

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who was stymied by a fan wired to the light switch.

Still seems weird to me...

Tags
flagstaff