Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #41

Giraffe Overhead Protection System

Continuing with my upgrades and additions shorlty after purchasing our Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKSS I installed a Giraffe overhead protection system in my F-250 Super Duty.

This unit is very easy to install and very handy when you are not sure on just how high something is you want to travel under.

Once you install the sensor on the outside of the vehicle. I mounted mine to the passenger mirror, They sensor faces straight up. The display mounts inside the cab, You program in the height of the truck cab and then the height of the tallest point on your trailer and it is saved into memory.

If you are not sure on something you are about to travel under simply push the button on the display and ease the truck under and if there is not enough clearance it will alarm and flash the height on the display.

I think it is very low cost insurance considering what a replacement air conditioning unit would be, plus any other damage that might occur.

One more thing I always do is create a label with my Brother label maker that list the overall height of my trailer and stick it to the inside of the windshield next to the oil change reminder. When you have multiple trailers this is handy as reference.

More updates and additions to come.

Happy Camping

BK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1645s.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	23077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646s.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	23078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647s.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	23079  

Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #42
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKennedy View Post
Continuing with my upgrades and additions shorlty after purchasing our Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKSS I installed a Giraffe overhead protection system in my F-250 Super Duty.

This unit is very easy to install and very handy when you are not sure on just how high something is you want to travel under.

Once you install the sensor on the outside of the vehicle. I mounted mine to the passenger mirror, They sensor faces straight up. The display mounts inside the cab, You program in the height of the truck cab and then the height of the tallest point on your trailer and it is saved into memory.

If you are not sure on something you are about to travel under simply push the button on the display and ease the truck under and if there is not enough clearance it will alarm and flash the height on the display.

I think it is very low cost insurance considering what a replacement air conditioning unit would be, plus any other damage that might occur.

One more thing I always do is create a label with my Brother label maker that list the overall height of my trailer and stick it to the inside of the windshield next to the oil change reminder. When you have multiple trailers this is handy as reference.

More updates and additions to come.

Happy Camping

BK
Very handy device!
Thanks for sharing!
Turbs

Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #43

On Board Camera System 30WFKSS

Here is one I have been wanting to share with you all but have not had alot of time latley to post. One of the first things I did after taking delivery of our V-Lite was to add a camera system. After a lot of research I went with RearViewSaftey.com. They offer many choices in camera systems and the big seller for me was the truck to trailer cable that could be unplugged when not in use.

I wanted to install my system with minimal impact on the coach so I designed unique mounting systems for each of the cameras. I chose the 4 camera system and deployed 3 cameras on the coach. One rear and one on each side. The rear camera is mounted actually to the ladder extending over near centerline. Note: I also have a remote weather sensor that feeds a unit inside so we can tell the outside temperature.

The side cameras are mounted right between the two tires one on each side. The best part is how I mounted the screen inside the truck. I utilized the slide out cup holder/ashtray and actually mounted the screen to the ashtray itself. (the removable part). I routed the cable/connector into the ashtray area. This way when I am not towing I simply unplug the screen and push the cupholder in. When I tow I just hook up the screen, plug the cable into the connector mounted right next to the trailer light/brake connector then connect the other end to the trailer.

The results are fantastic. as a vehicle approaches I see them in the rear view as they travel past (entering the blind zone) they exit the view of the rear camera and you can see them in the side camera. I have used this system now for two years and it is fantastic. Even works well at night. I could see the day when cameras are standard on trailers, especially larger ones like the 30', almost a must to ensure safe lane changes. I hope these pictures help show how I designed and installed into my rig.

Happy Camping

BK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1617s.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	23099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630s.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	23100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631s.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	23101   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1632s.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	23102   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634s.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	23103  

Name:	IMG_1637s.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	23104   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1649s.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	23105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1650s.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	23106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453s.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	23107  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #44

Diagnostic System

For those of you who travel with iPads you may find this helpful. I downloaded an application called DashCommand. $49.95. I ordered a bluetooth ODBII transmitter from GoPoint Technologies. You can also get a ODBII cable if you want to go that route. This handy app monitors just about everything. First you enter a lot of information on your vehicle and then simply plug in the GoPoint Bluetooth transmitter and you now have wireless diagnostics on the go. You can see from the pictures below I added a iPad mount just below where my trailer camera monitor sits.

I have used this app for a couple of months and it is very accurate. It tracks fuel milage, tons of trip information like average stop time, average moving time, distance to fill up, coolant temp, tourque, even air temperature entering the trottle body.

The App even allows you to download different skins (templates) to tailor the look of the guages and match your preference. I matched mine to the green look that matches the instrument lighting in my F-250.

Happy Camping
BK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1629s.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	23160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1626s.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	23161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634s.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	23162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1641s.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	23163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1642s.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	23164  

Name:	IMG_1627s.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	23165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643s.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	23166  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #45

Looks great. Another item on my "want to have" list for DW.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKennedy View Post
As promised I have started this thread to share the upgrades and additions I have made to my Forest River Flagstaff 30WFKSS coach. My wife and I absolutley love this layout. Someone else mentioned that the front kitchen is out of the way of traffic through the coach (although it is only my wife and I) but we really like the amount of countertop space. This seemed to be one thing that is lacking in many of the floorplans. Nice job on the design of the front kitchen with the V-Lite.

I will add items to the tread as I have time to document them but wanted to get it started with a few I think everyone can benefit from.

One of the first things I did was replace the mechanical thermostat with a digital one. You will notice I added a switch for low and high fan speed. There are articles on the web that show how to do this and you will want to as in cool mode the switch lets you adjust the fan speed.
More to come....... Happy Camping

BK
My wife and i look at those at the rv show in 2011 and the one i like was the one with the kitchen in the front
Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #47

Bill

We totally agree with you. The Kitchen in the front in the 30WFKSS is wonderful. We found that this layout provided the most counterspace of most any we looked at and the wrap around section near the front door with the bar stools is great. The other nice thing is with this layout the kitchen is not in the flow of traffic through the coach. it is almost like a seperate area. We have really enjoyed ours.

Hope you find this thread and and the FR Forum helpful.

Happy Camping

BK
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #48

Floor Duct protection

Wanted to share another mod I made to my coach just after purchasing. I wanted to ensure that I kept the duct system clean from FOD and installed screening at each floor vent. This is very easy to do. Just purchase a roll of plastic screen material at Home Depot or Lowes and cut out a small rectangle then wrap around the floor vent and install.
Some may think this is a bit overboard but thought I would share with you.

Happy Camping

BK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1713s.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	24133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1714s.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	24134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1400s.jpg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	24135  
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #49

2013 v-lite 30wfkss

Picking up my new 2013 v-lite 30wfkss on Monday. Over the past few months, while waiting for this magic day, I've gotten familiar with this website. BKennedy, I am excited to incorporate your wisdom into my RV. Thank you for your efforts in providing this info.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #50

Thank you

Larry

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am happy to share my experiences and mods with the FR family. Welcome, and I know you will enjoy your new trailer.

Happy Camping

BK