Old 04-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #21

I have been looking at the Sidwinder, but did not know how good it worked. I also was looking at the 5th airborne version Pin Boxes - Reese being it has a air cushioning effect.

The MOR/ryde looks like it may work also, but I do not know how far it will offset it. Here is the link http://www.morryde.com/php/products/pinbox/index.php

Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have been looking at the Sidwinder, but did not know how good it worked. I also was looking at the 5th airborne version Pin Boxes - Reese being it has a air cushioning effect.

The MOR/ryde looks like it may work also, but I do not know how far it will offset it. Here is the link MOR/ryde - Products - Rubber Pin Box
The MOR/ryde looks nice but I don't think it will help with getting the clearance you need as the 5ver still pivots at the hitch. I don't have the 5th airborne version of the Sidewinder. My pin box is the Reese Revolution (which used to be called the Sidewinder). It works well to allow the 5ver to clear the cab in sharp turns. The 5th airborne looks like a nice hitch but it seems that these air ride hitches are normally seen installed on bigger/heavier rigs. I could be wrong.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #23

I checked with MOR/ryde and it does not extend the pin out any. So the Sidewinder will be the one I will look at. When checking out RVDirect the Sidewinder is an option on the Rockwood version of the Flagstaff.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm
We just purchased the 2011 8528 RKWS and we used it for the first trip this weekend. The sticker on the side claims 7684#. We did not weight it. It trailers very nice with our 2009 Tundra. The wind was kicking today for the ride back and it did move around a bit.
As for the layout and the trailer itself so far we love it. The rear kitchen fits our style well with lots of room to work. We have the large windows and love all the light they let in in the AM. We also have the slide in the bedroom. It is a small slide and operates smooth. The larger slide with the free standing chairs and windows is heavy but the motor works well bringing it in and out.
So far trip one and we love it. Email us if you would like some more info or pictures.
Wally
We also have a 8528 RKWS and just wanted to pass on something that is not in the owners
Manual. Just recently I lost 12volt/ battery power to my trailer. Found there had been a short by a frayed wire. I fixed the wire and then had to figure out how to restore power. After much troubleshooting without success I called the RV dealership. First I talked with one of the service guys who mentioned a reset in the battery compartment . Called back more questions, so talked with one of the owners who walked out another 8528 rows while still on the phone and told me what to look for. Turns out that what I thought was just a wiring block is a reset/ relay and has a small button on the bottom and it had tripped. It was the second block coming from the battery. You can't see the button, you have to feel for it. Also, did you know about laundry chute under the bathroom sink? We are looking forward to our upcoming three month stay in Colorado with our new Fiver.

2011 Ford F250 XLT
colorado4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
We are thinking of ordering a 2011 8528RKWS 5th wheel, I am trying to find out what the unloaded curb weight is for a fully equipped unit. In the brochure the weight is reported as approximately 6700 pounds, I have seen advertisements as high as 7400 lbs.

Has anybody weighed a well equipped unit?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
I have the sister unit 8526RLWS (Mid Kitchen and Entertainment center in rear wall) and the yellow sticker "as built" weight says UVW 7219. It has not weighed that since it hit the driveway. Last weight check (I have done quite a few mods and it needs to be rezero'ed) was 8985 pounds loaded for travel.

We load the home made wine, bottled water and soda aft in the dinette seats and under the table when traveling to help with pin weight as our 2500HD is loaded to 9200 pounds (our max GVW) with the 17% pin load, Yamaha 3000 generator, Pullrite sliding hitch, and extra fuel cans (diesel and gas for the generator).

We are creatures of comfort (folding table; chairs; grill; gas fire pit; etc) and and most of the weight rides in the basement. I could easily lose 200 pounds of camper travel weight out of the tool box and 30 AMP extension cords, but I choose to travel prepared for the unexpected.

If you have ANY questions about your unit, do not hesitate to PM me. I "NEED" to know as much as my brain can hold about every aspect of that camper (pilot character flaw) in case I need to fix something to get my crew home safely. So most likely I have already asked what you want to know and have the answer stashed on the computer somewhere.

As an aside: I used to carry about 50 DVDs but now have converted all my DVDs to m4v files and over 1500 movies ride in a 6 inch USB hard drive velcro'ed next to the PC computer. Now we do not watch movies 24/7 but on rainy days we usually invite the neighbors over for a "movie" and they get to pick! I am also thinking about a small video projector and screen for an outside "movie night" during slow periods while we are in Key West.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #26

Pin Weights??

While looking for 8528RKWS fivers I come across the 8526RKWS model. This model is about 1' 6" shorter and weighs (dry weight) 504 pounds less. But the listed pin weight for the 8526 is 381 pounds more. The smaller model 8524RLS has a dry weight of 5880 and a pin weight of 997. It would seem like the 8526 would be between the 8524 and the 8528.

Why is it this way?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
While looking for 8528RKWS fivers I come across the 8526RKWS model. This model is about 1' 6" shorter and weighs (dry weight) 504 pounds less. But the listed pin weight for the 8526 is 381 pounds more. The smaller model 8524RLS has a dry weight of 5880 and a pin weight of 997. It would seem like the 8526 would be between the 8524 and the 8528.

Why is it this way?
The RK (Rear Kitchen) models have more weight aft of the camper's wheels. The RL (Rear Living) units have very little weight back there and empty carry a heavier pin. That is another reason whey we got the Dinette version as we can store heavier items in the seats to move some (not much though) weight aft and relieve some of the pin weight.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 05-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #28

That is what I thought, but both the 8528 and the 8526 have rear kitchens. Looking at the floor plans more the refrigerator in the 8526 is more toward the axle instead of being all the way aft.

Where before we was looking at models with two chairs. Now we are considering the models with just the couch and dining table. We figured either way we would probably add some lightweight foot stools.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

I have the 8526 and it is an RL rear living room.
Kitchen is over the axles.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #30

My wife and I went and looked at a Rockwood twin of the 8528 today. It will take a lot to get my wife to like another FW better than either one of these. What surprised me was this model had the swivel rockers and it was heavier than a model we looked at a while back that had the recliners. Everything else was the same.

I hope to still look at a 8526RKWS and a 8524S before we make the final decision. We also looked at a Jayco Superlite HT model and was very disappointed in it. This one will most likely come off of my list.

Tags
5th wheel, 8528