Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5th Wheel

We are thinking of ordering a 2011 8528RKWS 5th wheel, I am trying to find out what the unloaded curb weight is for a fully equipped unit. In the brochure the weight is reported as approximately 6700 pounds, I have seen advertisements as high as 7400 lbs.

Has anybody weighed a well equipped unit?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #2

Ours is right around 7400 lbs as built, so I would imagine yours would be very close, even with the wardrobe slide, as we have the atrium windows, which probably add a few pounds as well..
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

Thank You for the reply.

Does your unit have three slides, two in the living area and the closet in the bedroom? We are also interested in the atrium design , like the large windows makes the unit very bright on the inside. We also like the table and chairs versus the built in eating area.

2008 F250, Super Cab XLT
Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #4

Ours does not have the wardrobe slide in the bedroom, although I see the model that replaced ours does.
The atrium windows are awesome, and the table and chairs is far nicer than the booth, at least in our opinion.
The rear kitchen gives you more counter space, but we like the rear living room layout because you aren't walking through the living area to access the kitchen all the time. Just personal preference.
But the rear kitchen unit will be a bit lighter on the hitch, if that is a concern.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
How much does it weigh?

When the new unit come off Rockwood/ Flagstaff assembly line, it is weighed and a sticker is posted on the left front side of the RV to the exact DRY weight.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #6

2011 8528 rkws

We just purchased the 2011 8528 RKWS and we used it for the first trip this weekend. The sticker on the side claims 7684#. We did not weight it. It trailers very nice with our 2009 Tundra. The wind was kicking today for the ride back and it did move around a bit.
As for the layout and the trailer itself so far we love it. The rear kitchen fits our style well with lots of room to work. We have the large windows and love all the light they let in in the AM. We also have the slide in the bedroom. It is a small slide and operates smooth. The larger slide with the free standing chairs and windows is heavy but the motor works well bringing it in and out.
So far trip one and we love it. Email us if you would like some more info or pictures.
Wally
Old 04-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #7

Thanks folks for getting back to us. The information will help us in making up our mind.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

I have a 2011 smaller one with rear living. I have heard that rear kitchens bounce stuff around in the back of the trailer, but mine seems to bounce stuff around no matter where you put it. Its weight in was listed at 58XX lbs. some times and 6400 other times. Was told the difference was the weight of the basic trailer, and trailer with options. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #9

We have had a rear kitchen unit in the past, the cupboards were on the back wall. If we didn't pack things properly we could have a mess on our hands. It did not take long for us to figure out a way to keep the things under control.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #10

My wife and I made our first trip looking at fifth wheels to tow with our 2011 Toyota Tundra. She fell in love with the Flagstaff 8528RLWS. It had the upgraded Laz-y-Boy recliners and the ceiling fan. By what I have been reading my Tundra should be able to handle this one with no problem.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My wife and I made our first trip looking at fifth wheels to tow with our 2011 Toyota Tundra. She fell in love with the Flagstaff 8528RLWS. It had the upgraded Laz-y-Boy recliners and the ceiling fan. By what I have been reading my Tundra should be able to handle this one with no problem.
You will be over the cargo capacity for sure.
I know I am by 400 lbs and I don't have the wardrobe slide.
I replaced the "P" rated tires with Michelin E rated and that removed a lot of the squishy ride we were experiencing.
A set of Air bags may be needed to level up the rear end.
I only put 15-20 lbs of pressure in mine.

The truck has plenty of power both up hill and down.
It's just the pin weight issue that is the problem.
I'm ok with that, others may not be.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #12

That is one model I have seen up close - and I loved it - has anyone seen it with the King U dinette ? I think it is an option.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
You will be over the cargo capacity for sure.
I know I am by 400 lbs and I don't have the wardrobe slide.
I replaced the "P" rated tires with Michelin E rated and that removed a lot of the squishy ride we were experiencing.
A set of Air bags may be needed to level up the rear end.
I only put 15-20 lbs of pressure in mine.

The truck has plenty of power both up hill and down.
It's just the pin weight issue that is the problem.
I'm ok with that, others may not be.

Bill
The pin weight was my concern. The dry weight was 7377. Forest River calcualates theirs at about 18%. I automatically added 1,000 pounds for our provisions and the weight of the propane and battery. This works out to be a wet weight of 8377 x 18% = 1508. So it would be over about 150 pounds for my Tundra.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
The pin weight was my concern. The dry weight was 7377. Forest River calcualates theirs at about 18%. I automatically added 1,000 pounds for our provisions and the weight of the propane and battery. This works out to be a wet weight of 8377 x 18% = 1508. So it would be over about 150 pounds for my Tundra.
My pin weight is 1200-1400 (depends how SWMBO packs) and if I'm carrying water.
I add 200 lbs for the hitch, we have a superglide and it is heavy.
Add the boss's weight and a couple of kiddos and we are over cargo capacity.

I like the rear pantry. "Load that pantry up honey!"
I'm going for the cantalever effect here.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #15

My wife and I was just discussing the cantilever effect of how to pack more on the tail end. I may be overfiguring the amount of provisions we would pack. Below is what I figured. See if this is reasonable.

150 - clothes - this is probably way over
50 - towels, pillows, blankets, etc.
100 - cookware/dishes - paper plates are very light
100 - bikes - these would go on the tail end somehow
50 - folding chairs and plastic table
50 - small propane grill
100 - food - this is probably more than we would need also - Walmart is everywhere
150 - propane - just a wild guess
100 - another wild guess

850 - total plus another 150 (just in case) for a total of 1,000
Old 04-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #16

I think the weight is totally dependent on where you store it in the trailer. Like bill said load up the rear. . Its tempting to load the pass thru storage with stuff but that is directly adding to the pin weight. So when my wife wanted to use heavy plates and enough of them to feed Plymouth Plantation I said great load them up. Some stuff you need to store in the pass thru but I try to hold back.
Wally
Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #17

Shouldn't be any problems on the flatlands. Went from a Terry with 4100 dry weight to a Flagstaff with about 6400 dry weight. Notice quite a bit of difference in the mountains.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #18

We looked at one of these today and my wife fell in love with it. It even had a 32" TV which surprised me plus recliners, gas grill, and slide toppers. It had a dry weight of 7377 pounds.

I weighed my Tundra with the full tank of gas plus me and the wife and it shocked me to weigh 5,670 pounds.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #19

The one negative I have with the Flagstaff is that I would definitely have to get a sliding hitch. The other two (Jayco Eagle Super Lite 26.5RKS and Coachmen Chaparral 270RKS)
will not need a sliding hitch being they have the concave/curved corners. The sliding hitch will add weight plus cost more.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #20

Quote:
The one negative I have with the Flagstaff is that I would definitely have to get a sliding hitch. The other two (Jayco Eagle Super Lite 26.5RKS and Coachmen Chaparral 270RKS)
will not need a sliding hitch being they have the concave/curved corners. The sliding hitch will add weight plus cost more.
You can always order the Sidewinder pin on the Flagstaff. I have the same rear kitchen model in the Rockwood 8280WS, with the sidewinder pin. I pull it with a 2010 Tundra Dbl Cab (6.5 ft bed). This setup does not require a sliding hitch as the pivot point is moved back about 20 inches. Although I'm new to this it has worked fine for me so far. I ordered mine from the factory with the Sidewinder option.

Tags
5th wheel, 8528