Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #1

2012 831RLSS - Odor from floor heat vent

Just this evening we began getting a bad smell from our rear floor heat vent. We're not using the heat at this time of summer. This TT has a sealed underbelly. Is it possible for a mouse or other small critter to get into the floor heat duct system? The smell is like a mouse/critter may have gotten in there and passed on to mouse heaven. Anyone ever experience anything similar? Thanks in advance.
MartyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:07 AM   #2
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyW View Post
Is it possible for a mouse or other small critter to get into the floor heat duct system?
You betcha! Mr Mouse can get in through a hole about the size of a dime (or less) and your ducting may have one or more of these entry points. Unfortunately, the best way to verify that is to pull the underbelly enclosure and inspect the ducting. That too may be the only way to extricate the deceased rodent if in fact that's what is causing the obnoxious smell.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #3

Thanks Kandl, that's about the only thing we could figure. For now since its cooling season using the a/c we put duck tape over the floor vents until we can investigate further. We've had this happen at our houses too...
Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks Kandl, that's about the only thing we could figure. For now since its cooling season using the a/c we put duck tape over the floor vents until we can investigate further. We've had this happen at our houses too...
True story, Once a guy was drunk and missed his head and it went down the floor vent, had to replace that duct. With yours I'm surprised your not smelling it at every vent? Not just the one. But as stated they will eat a whole in the duct work and get in. My old house I had a skunk get in mine had to replace all the duct work under the house. Good luck on finding it....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #5

Our unit has chairs in the rear where we had been sitting and we all of a sudden smelled this odor. At first we thought it was our dog but we pretty quickly eliminated that. Then we moved everything in the back area as that is where the oder was. We found nothing but then we smelled the rear vent and that is where the oder is. I smelled the center vent and maybe some odor but not near as much as the rear vent. I'm sure the odor will find its way to all the system but with the duck tape on the vents there is no smell in the TT for now. If we're lucky maybe the smell will ease by heating season as the critters do stop smelling after awhile. We're in the south so probably won't need the heat for at least a month from now....
Old 09-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Just this evening we began getting a bad smell from our rear floor heat vent. We're not using the heat at this time of summer. This TT has a sealed underbelly. Is it possible for a mouse or other small critter to get into the floor heat duct system? The smell is like a mouse/critter may have gotten in there and passed on to mouse heaven. Anyone ever experience anything similar? Thanks in advance.
I have the exact same trailer, and just had to do some work on the rear steps. I had removed them, and went ahead and lowered some of the underbelly as I wanted to look at the same duct your mentioned. Mine has always squeaked real bad (not from a mouse though) when you walk near it. It's the metal part of the vent rubbing on the frame.

Anyhow, there is very thin flex duct hooked to the vent register. I may have a pic of it on my phone still and will upload it. It's possible for a rodent to chew into this.

Edit: Wait a sec, I have it in a thread here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eak-79674.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #7

Many Thanks wmtire, great pic and I hope you got your damage fixed up ok.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Retired Techie

Try running a vacuum hose down the register. Get and old one from a goodwill or something so you can cut the non flexible part off. Worked for me when hamsters got in my heat vents buried in cement.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moligney View Post
Try running a vacuum hose down the register. Get and old one from a goodwill or something so you can cut the non flexible part off. Worked for me when hamsters got in my heat vents buried in cement.
X2 . Couldn't hurt to try. Might save you some work.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You mentioned the smell was worse by the register near the chairs. Often time if you remove the register and use a small hand held mirror and a flashlight you are able to look back through the ducting pretty far.

Maybe if it is in fact a dead mouse, you might be able to see it to verify.
Then as mentioned, a flex hose on a vacuum might get it or I have a long set of 'Chinese grabber fingers' on a flexible shaft that's about 36" long. Might carefully shove something like that back through and grab.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #11

2012 831RLSS - Odor from floor heat vent

We had a mouse die under our waterbed many years ago....no way to get to it because it had a pedestal with six drawers.....had to live with it until it quit - found a skeleton many years later when we finally removed waterbed - phew !!!

Also used to get them in kitchen during winter (lived in country with woods behind) / one caught in trap and drug trap under base of kitchen cabinet - lived with smell again but learned to tie string to trap to pull it back !!!

Hope you get a quick solution - those little buggers reek 🐭
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #12

Many Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'll try to find a flex vacuum this weekend. Meanwhile all smells ok with the duck tape over the vents...

Tags
2012, vent