Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

2012 Flagstaff 8528IKWS delaminated roof

Several weeks ago after returning from a short trip, I was inspecting the roof on 5th wheel. I noticed the rubber had delaminated over about 2/3 of roof. I noticed it because of the wind moving the wrinkled rubber. There has been no damage to roof that I know of other than sitting in the hot Texas sun while at the dealer for other repairs that have been needed. Also showed dealer a small 3 inch delimitation of fiberglass on the passenger side about midway down from roof.
I purchased the extra years warranty from Forest River for $150 at time of purchase so still under warranty.
Today got a call from dealer stating that Forest River was refusing to repair the roof or bubble on fiberglass.
I am very upset and confused. When I asked the dealer about the roof I was told that it needed repair. Why should I have to pay to repair the roof when I didn't damage and it looks to be a glue issue?
Any advise on what to do next would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
washdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of your problems. Do you have any photos of the roof and delamination on the side?

The rubber roof is only glued down on the perimeter so some wrinkling is normal, especially when it's expanded in that hot, Texas sun.

Where is the fiberglass delamination located exactly?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

When I took it to the dealer, was told that the roof should be glued down and not loose. But, if its only glued along the perimeter that would explain Forest River not wanting to fix. Thanks for the info, I was thinking it should be glued over the entire roof.
The fiberglass delamination is between the door and front about midway down and difficult to see unless looking at the right angle. I will be picking it up Saturday and can get picture then. May not be worth worrying about. I'm new at all this and just try to keep the rig looking nice.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

When I was in the factory in April the roof martial was fully glued down, They would roller the glue from front to back. This seems to be more common than all of us would like. There are other people with the same issues. Keep fighting for your rights. Good luck.
rltsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #5

Have left a message with Forest River warranty. Will continue to try and get this fixed.
I will post again when I find out anything. As a side note. I was at a campground and looked over other trailers and 5th wheels with rubber roof. It was a windy day and no one else had loose roof rippling in the wind like mine was.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #6

Washdweller, I have a 2013 Flagstaff 8428IKS I am seeing the same on my roof, just a few feet on the drivers side about half way up the roof. it's not blowing in the wind but when I was inspecting after my last trip I came across it. I have had 4 trailers, all forest river and had not seen this before. The material is sealed but it is loose or not glued down. Who did you contact? Maybe if they hear from more people they will get the message or start losing business.
KP001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #7

Here is the Q&A on the air bubbles from FR frequently questions asked questions section
(FAQ page)

Q-I noticed some air bubbles in my rubber roof, will they cause any problem?
Not at all! During the manufacturing process, the glue used to secure the rubber to the plywood underpayment goes through a “curing” process. In some instances, the glue continues to “cure” after the rubber is in place and the gas causes an air pocket. Typically, they will never get any larger and do not pose any threat for leakage or structural problems. If your unit has an air bubble that is making you uncomfortable, have your local Forest River dealer check it for your piece of mind.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #8

It looks like it may be more than bubbles. I have tried to upload photo. First time so hope it makes it. The entire roof is loose and shows as long ripples from front to back. I'm still talking with Forest River and should know something next week.
One strange thing though, the dealer told me that they had turned in paperwork to Forest River to repair the roof and were told it was a no go. When I talked to Forest River warranty, they show no record of dealer contacting them. Both Forest River and I have calls in to the dealer service person who handled our 5th wheel and so far no call back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4377.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	40392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4378.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	40393  
Old 09-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #9

I had a 2009 Flagstaff 831fkbss and had delamination issues after 6 months of purchase, the entire rear was replaced and when I got it back after 8 months, both sides started to delaminate, but by this time it was out of warrenty. After 4 years of ownership, I was so fed up I got rid of it and bought a 2013 Columbus 320 and an extended warrenty in case this issue ever happens again. All I can say is keep on them and dont let up, these issues should NEVER happen.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #10

That is such a shame. When I was at the factory in April 2013 I actually scene how the roof is glued down. It really puzzles me how there can be so many issues with these roofs. Inspecting mine it is loose at the edges three inches out along both sides. Nothing in the middle yet like yours. We need to stay on top of this cause this is definitely not right. Thank you for posting the pictures.
Days camped 2013 -39
rltsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #11

Your right rltsk, I'm gonna take a closer look at mine in storage today. I will try to get pictures also. washdweller, did this happen a little at a time or one day the whole roof was like this. This is very concerning!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #12

Purchased May 2012. I always check my roof before and after every trip. I had the skylight checked and replaced in January 2013 per a letter from Forest River about possible defects. At that time the dealer inspected the roof and found no problem. I kept it in covered storage until May when I took a 7 day trip. Didn't notice any problems at that time. In late June took a short trip and when inspecting the roof on an especially windy day, noticed the roof was loose and rippling in the wind. First called Forest River in July and then took to dealer a few weeks later where it sat for weeks. They said it needed replacement. So far have had two dealers say it needed to be replaced. I also called Alpha systems, maker of roof material and they said it should be glued down and not be loose. They think it is a glue issue. I know that gas can build from glue and cause bubbles, but this seems to be excessive. Also, the door side is not nearly as bad.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #13

Just received a call from Kevin at Forest River. They will be replacing the roof.
Thanks to all who contributed.

Tags
2012, 8528, flagstaff, roo, roof