Old 01-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #1

2015 Flagstaff 27RLWS - Fuses, Breakers Oh My

Had my trailer for a year without issue, suddenly it is full of electrical issues. Just got it out of the shop due to a fuse for one slide out blowing every time I pulled the trailer. Every time I arrived at my destination, I had to crawl underneath the front of the trailer and replace the same fuse. Next, all four electric stabilizers stopped working. The dealer fixed the issues, or so I thought. Just got back today from a New Year's Eve trip that makes me wonder what in the world is going on! Upon arrival at my camping destination, the same fuse mentioned above was blown and one out of four stab jacks didn't work. It was a cold New Year's eve night so imagine my excitement when the furnace blower fan would not come on. Thank goodness for electric blankets. The next morning, as I prepared breakfast for our group on an outdoor electric griddle that I've used many times without issue, breakers kept blowing. The only thing that was on beyond the electric griddle was the television and the refrigerator. Later the same day, I discovered the remaining three stab jacks also stopped working. I certainly realize that RV'ing comes with challenges but this is becoming a theme. Thank goodness I bought an extended warranty so I will return the trailer to the dealer shortly but I am interested in any comments or feedback from others who have experienced ongoing electrical issues. Thank you for the input!

Drewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Head Rambler

Bummer that you're having this problem.

The problem with the electric griddle may be the campground electrical and not the RV's electrical.

Most of your 12 volt issues sound like a negative side problem. You may have loose negative connection or connections. Hopefully your dealers tech will be able to find and fix it this time.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Corroded grounds can cause all kinds of 12 volt issues, including blown fuses, so be sure to find and clean the connections to the frame.

From another angle:

If your trailer's battery was very low when you connected, it is possible to blow your truck's trailer socket's 12 volt battery charging line fuse due to the high current demand. This circuit is designed to only maintain your camper's battery while traveling and not recharge it when low or dead. (see attachment for why).

Low voltage on the battery can cause motor fuses to blow due to the higher startup current required to get the rotor windings turning. This can be aggravated if the motor is tying to move something that is reluctant to move.

Overloaded slides, slide out seals stuck to the walls, and, trying to lift the camper with the stabilizers are prime culprits.

The 120 VAC issue is a power management problem. Your trailer has an "upper limit" to how much power it can draw determined by the wire size fusing on the individual circuit as well as the entire camper.

Add up the wattage on every item you use and divide it by 120 to determine the amount of amps needed with them on. You will see it is really easy to overload a circuit and indeed the entire camper very quickly if you don't watch what is going on.

A low battery being charged by the converter uses lots 120 volt AC and is a variable based on battery charge state. The lower the battery, the more AC is taken by the converter. (Do your camper's lights get brighter when you plug in the camper to shore power?)

So:

After cleaning your ground connections, try removing (or at least remove the battery cables) and putting your battery on a dedicated 4 stage battery charger for 24 hours. This will not only charge the battery, but will knock some of the hardened sulphate off the battery plates and restore some lost capacity.

This is a good one:
NPower Dual Port 4-Stage Charger 2 Amps/Port | Battery Chargers| Northern Tool + Equipment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Automobile Alternators as Chargers.pdf (805.9 KB, 23 views)
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

I had a similar issue with fuses blowing without an apparent cause or pattern to help isolate the problem. Mine ended up being a wiring harness that was partially penetrated by a screw. Vibration over time, dead short, blown fuse.
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #5

Sounds like a bad ground connection. Find your grounds on the chassis and clean.
Could be some paint or corrosion on chassis ground causing a poor ground connection.
I was having a ground problem with my front jack blowing fuses. I found the ground connection. Took out screw and sand papered that area on the chassis, put some contact silicon and hooked back up. No more problem.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #6

My electric stabilizers will blow a fuse if more than 1 is used at a time.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #7

My stabilizers would blow upon every hook up, and one slide out as well. I bought some slide out lubricant which i use on every other trip for my stabilizers and all slide outs, and I have yet to replace a fuse in a year. It was an easy fix for me, I hope yours can be as easy too

Drewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, flagstaff, fuse