Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

2015 Flagstaff Super V Lite 27VRL

We are looking to purchase a new 27VRL. I have a question about changing out the 14 inch Tires to 15 Inch tires. Is this worth trying to do?
RoyalWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #2

Check the spacing on the tires (fender space and between tires). I know I can not do it on our 27RLWS
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #3

I would have to agree with Slympicins, I have a 2009 V Lite with 14 inch tires and at their closes spot there might be 2 inches of space between them, then there's the clearance in the fenderwell you also have to think about , when you hit a bump how high will that tire rise and will it clear n this situation. Measure carefully.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. This Flagstaff Super V Lite must be quite new. We have not seen anyone who has one yet. Would like to know more about it though.
RoyalWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Old Timer

I just purchased a VLite 26VFKS and other than a few things that should have been taken care of at the factory I am very happy with my purchase. We will be leaving AZ for NE soon and I am glad I had four weeks to get to know the unit. There are several things that are not well explained in all the literature. Having had many different types of RV's, traveled full time in a diesel pusher and doing all my own maintenance I have gone over the unit from top to bottom. I had to fix the Power Awning, a door frame, change the location of the grey and black water handles (one was hanging down right behind the rear wheel and the other was located where I could not reach it with the slide out), re-route the cables and install the Dish receiver in a cabinet, install a new motor on the front stabilizer jacks and a few other maintenance items. I would suggest that you look the unit you decide on real well before signing on the dotted line. I wanted a unit I could spend a lot of time in and could pull with my F-150 and feel I made a good choice.
ddcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #6

2618VS

We purchased a 2618VS in February. It is the Rockwood version of ddcarr's 26VFKS. With the 14" tires, there is just a little over 2" of space between the tires. I too would love to upgrade to 15" wheels & better tires, but have serious doubts that they would fit.

We have not had ours out, but plan our first trip in mid April. We have not found any problems yet. It is our first travel trailer (had a popup in the 90's), so I don't have much to compare to. My comment is that everything seems so light weight and designed to just meet requirements. Of course w bought this trailer based on size and weight, so I think that is probably to be expected. We tow with a 2013 F150, and it seems to handle this size trailer just fine.
Old Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
Old Timer

VLite Update

I traded in a 1998 Winnebago Brave that was in excellent condition. I was not enjoying the effort in driving a motor home pulling a car anymore. I am looking forward to driving the pickup with the VLite behind it. Several persons that I have talked to, or heard of, have found the V-shaped VLite is not effected by the wind as much as a square front trailer or motor home. Even though the wife has not fully accepted the VLite because she thinks there is not as much storage space as the motor home. I have found that we have only lost the lower storage compartments and the space in the covered box of the pickup will more that take care of our needs. By living in the VLite for two weeks now I have found the VLite to be well constructed and has so many extra things to add to the enjoyment of being in it on a full time basis. I look forward to taking several trips that we did not get to take last year. The only problem is that I don't hae a nice recliner to watch TV from.

Happy Travels, Dennis
Old 04-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #8

Dennis, I agree that the outside storage is a little tight. I am trying to figure out how to maximize the tall compartment behind the pantry. We'd like to store things up high, but it's difficult to get inside to mount some kind of hangers, plus the surfaces seem to be mainly 1/8" lauan, not very strong.

We think we would like recliners too, and some folks have replaced the sofa on the slide with small recliners. We are going to live with the sofa for a while, but I suspect we'll eventually swap it for recliners.

Glad to hear that you are happy with yours. We will be heading out in ours next week or the week after, so we'll see how it works for us.

Tim
Old 04-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #9
Old Timer

Broom Closet & Recliners!

Hi Tim, I have not figured out what to put in the tall closet behind the pantry yet. I will be checking out the weights of the pickup and VLite before we head down the road. If the weight situation turns out OK I will put a couple of the tall packages in there. I am a amateur radio operator and have a couple antennas that would fit in there real nice. I have been looking at the couch and feel that two nice recliners would look real nice in that space. I will be doing some looking on the internet and will let you know if I find something worth looking at. When we were full timing we attended many RV rallies and there were all kinds of furniture deals but those days are gone. We will be starting on our return trip to NE on the 22nd and I will let you know how the trailer behaves.

Bye, Dennis
Old 04-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #10

pantry space

I've seen what you are speaking of. I have a 27VRL on order and hope to see it before Memorial Day. I would take a tour at Home Depot and see if you can't find some adjustable wire rack. How good a craftsman are you? I would think 3 sticks of 3/4 stock, some gorilla glue and a few brads would go a long ways to custom making a second shelf.

Just curious, why the desire for 15" tires over 14" tires?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #11

Jeff, I'm an experienced woodworker, and I like your idea. I think the hard part for me is going to be getting enough of myself into the space to work. :-)

The desire for 15" tires is that there is a very small selection of load range D, or better, tires available in our 14" size. The tires on our trailers are load range C, and their maximum capacity is not far from the loaded weight of the trailer. The speed rating on our tires is 65 mph, so not a great margin of safety there either. If you read through the forums here, I think you'll find 2 or 3 load range D tire options in 14" that will work for us, but they can be pricey and not always available locally.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #12
Old Timer

Started looking for recliners yesterday. No one wants my nice new couch but are asking an arm and a leg for their recliners! This is not going to be as easy as I had hoped.

Dennis. 😕
Old 04-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #13

Yeah, anything marketed as RV is expensive! I have seen where some folks have used a small "home style" recliner, so that might be a better option. I'll be anxious to hear what you go with since we will likely do the same before too long!
Old 04-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #14

Look at Hankook RA08's. D rated. I have heard great comments on these. They will be going on our 27RLWS this summer. 65 mph load "C" tires are a joke on these rigs.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #15

I have seen a few go for the poang chair and ottoman from IKEA. I have one at home and it is probably the most comfortable chair in the house and won't break your pocketbook
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #16
Old Timer

Update!

I appreciate the chair suggestion. I found out that the couch is worth a lot of money if you can find someone that is re-furbishing a travel trailer or even a motor home. I am going to live with the couch for awhile and then see if I can find someone to pay a little for it.

I have the F-150 packed and the VLite is very close to being finished. I weighed the pickup and have 700 lbs of room left. I will weigh the complete unit when we leave next Wednesday. I think I will be OK as there is no way we have 1700 lbs of stuff in here. Our first leg of the trip will be 226 miles and then I will know how everything is going to work. I will be back with an update of how things went and decide if I made a mistake---sell everything and stay home.

Bye for now, Dennis
Old 04-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #17

We are thinking of removing the couch in our 2015 27RLWS and replacing it with theater seats. The couch is awful in my opinion.
Brazealnut4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #18
Old Timer

Ready To Go!

One more day to finish the final packing! I have fixed everything that was a problem on the VLite. The back of the booth came loose as some fool at the factory had tried to nail the panel to the aluminum frame-----a clamp and a little good glue took care of the problem. A 24" bubble in the floor covering was fixed by a few tiny holes at the right places and pressure applied to get the glue to hold. I took the middle door frame off and shortened it 1/2" so the bow would be taken care of and the door would close. I have replaced the model 300 stool with the model 310 and a wooden lid to eliminate the noise and flexing of the plastic toy stool the VLite came with. I have removed all the glue on the outside of the unit and put in a larger battery than what the dealer had installed (I had the battery). I used the tall compartment on the outside of the living room slide for a few long handled items (mop, broom, wash brush and hiking stick). Everything is ready and I only have one worry. TRIED THE SLIDES AND THEY SEEM PRETTY SHAKY. I AM ONLY FAMILIAR WITH HYDRAULIC SLIDES AND THEY WERE VERY SMOOTH. THE LIVING ROOM SLIDE HAS TWO TRACKS AND WORKS PRETTY WELL. THE BEDROOM SLIDE HAS ONLY ONE TRACK AND SEEMS TO STRUGGLE GOING IN AND OUT. I WOULD LIKE ANY INPUT FROM PERSONS THAT HAVE THE SAME CONFIGURATION AS I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.

Thank you for your input, Dennis
Old 04-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #19

Dennis, we are loading up right now to take ours out for the first time. I have had the bedroom slide in and out a few times already, and hadn't really notice it being shaky, but then I am normally at the switch panel when it's moving. When we get to the campground, I'll get my wife to man the switch and I'll watch as it goes out and back in when we leave.

If the mobile hotspot works as promised on my phone, we'll have wifi, so I'll be back in here this evening. I'm curious about your floor and toilet replacement. I was telling my wife that I wanted to upgrade to a 320 model as well. During the PDI, I was sure ours was supposed to have a porcelain stool, but the salesman got the paperwork and showed me that it didn't. I guess was mixed up by all the different models that we looked at!

Tim
Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #20
Old Timer

VLite Update

Tim, OK on the getting ready to go. We have tomorrow and then will be heading for Phoenix on Wednesday for a few days before heading north to Grand Junction, CO. I put in the model 310 Dometic toilet and ordered the wooden lid to go with it. If you purchase the model 320 it comes with the wooden lid. Both are much better than the model 300. The model 320 is longer and more comfortable but in our case the room was the deciding factor as the longer toilet would take up more room. I saved the seals from the model 300 as they will work in the model 310. Everything is ready and checked out and I am anxious to get on the road to see if all works as planned. I carry my own mi-fi and will check in once I get settled after the first leg. The big test will be the climb out of Phoenix to Flagstaff as it is long and constantly climbing. Have a great trip and keep in touch.

Dennis,

Tags
flagstaff