Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #1

2015 microlite 23lb - 30 or 50 amp?

Our trailer is in the shop getting some warranty work done and does anyone know if it's a 30 or 50 amp for camping? I need to book some sites and can't remember

2015 Forest River Micro Lite 23LB
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE
ChiChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Probably 30 amp.

Do you remember how many prongs are on your cord?

3 is 30 amp
4 is 50 amp

30 amp cord is pretty easy to handle and carry.

50 amp cord is heavy, bulky and awkward to handle.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

Thanks! Definitely 3.

2015 Forest River Micro Lite 23LB
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE
ChiChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Looking at the specs, I don't see a second air conditioner option or anything else that would need the 50 amp...so I would venture to say it is a 30 amp trailer.

Flagstaff Micro Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

I have a 831RLBSS Flagstaff that is a little larger than yours and it is a 30 amp model.

I know you don't have the trailer handy, but if you can remember the power cord for the trailer where you plug into the campground pedestal, it will tip you.

If the power cord has 3 prongs, it's 30 amp....4 prongs and it's 50 amp.

EDIT: Ron types faster than me. LOL

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Btw if it is 30 amp you should consider buying a 30 to 50 dog bone so you don't have to worry about the site you book

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Name:   uploadfromtaptalk1430319788715.jpeg
Views: 999
Size:  13.5 KB

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #7

I have one, it's a 30 amp for sure.

And it's a good idea to have a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter plug.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #8

Question about the adapter plug from a newbie: Does the adapter plug simply allow the 30 amp trailer to plug into the 50 amp pedestal leaving the power level at 50 amps, or does it reduce the power level from 50 amp to 30 amp as well? I just want to be safe with my toy hauler.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
Question about the adapter plug from a newbie: Does the adapter plug simply allow the 30 amp trailer to plug into the 50 amp pedestal leaving the power level at 50 amps, or does it reduce the power level from 50 amp to 30 amp as well? I just want to be safe with my toy hauler.
Short answer is it will cause no damage since what is available to the trailer is only 30 amps or so.. Long answer is: the 50 amps comes into play for a 50 amp trailer by providing 2 legs, or connections of power. That second leg carries more amps in addition to the first leg, it is a whole additional circuit of power That is why a 50 amp plug has one more prong on it. 30 amp plugs have 3 prongs, 50 amp plugs have 4. An even deeper explanation: It doesn't matter how much amperage is available, the device or devices will only draw what they need. If your 30 amp plug suddenly became a 100 amp plug it would not hurt your trailer. What can absolutely hurt your trailer is if the voltage of 120 volts suddenly became 240 volts. That is the trailer killer. It is way too easy for the voltage to suddenly jump up. It is a very very very good idea to have a power management and protection system like those made by Progressive industries to prevent voltage overload damage.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, when using the adapter of this type, you would be able to possibly have 50 amps from the power pedestal to your RV's power distribution box (where all the RV's subcircuits get their power from). However, the distribution box is protected by it's own 30 amp circuit breaker (in theory, as breakers don't always trip when you think they should).

If you created an overload in your RV, then if it's distribution box main breaker trips, then all is good. However, if it doesn't then you can't expect the power pedestal breaker to trip until it exceeds 50 amps....... which your RV's 30 amp cord may have melted by that time.

However, this is an extreme scenario, and most likely won't occur. If you keep it all under 30 amps in your RV, or even if you exceed it, your RV main breaker would need to fail too for usually a dangerous situation to occur.

The only thing that won't be protected by a 30 amp circuit breaker is the power cord itself. Hopefully everything in the RV will be protected by the 30 amp main breaker in the RV.

I use these adapters a lot myself. Many of the 30 amp pedestal outlets at the state parks I frequent are worn or bad. I just use the adapter and plug into the 50 amp outlet and am good to go....since the 50 amp outlets are used less frequently and are usually in better shape.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #11

Quote:
You are still only going to be able to use 30A of service because that is what the main breaker in your trailer will be.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23lb, 50 amp