Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #1

2018 21DS Lamination issues

Just bought my 2018 21DS a couple months ago and already have lamination issues all around my trailer, the worst part is the front slide out side but its just as bad on the other side and getting worse by the day. Attached is a picture of one side but both sides look equally bad.

I am enjoying the trailer and hope this is an anomaly for Forest River.

I am being told my trailer will need to be shipped back to the factory for repair which will take 4-6 weeks. Just thought I would share my situation incase anybody else runs into the same issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Slideout Side 2.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	175852  
evolrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolrider View Post
Just bought my 2018 21DS a couple months ago and already have lamination issues all around my trailer, the worst part is the front slide out side but its just as bad on the other side and getting worse by the day. Attached is a picture of one side but both sides look equally bad.

I am enjoying the trailer and hope this is an anomaly for Forest River.

I am being told my trailer will need to be shipped back to the factory for repair which will take 4-6 weeks. Just thought I would share my situation incase anybody else runs into the same issue.
What product line is the 21DS?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
What product line is the 21DS?
Flagstaff MiniLite
ImTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #4

That looks "Real Bad",who told you the unit needs to go back to Factory,Factory or Dealer? Have you made "Return Dates" through the "Factory"? This should be "Confirmed" way before due to the Backlog at Factory! Make sure you have E-Mail copies of "Anything" the Dealer says "That the Factory Said"! Cover yourself with Proof! I TRUST the Rockwood/Flagstaff Division!! Youroo!!
Old 06-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #5

I spoke with my dealer over the phone, apparently she has 2 other units like mine that has the same issue, my dealer is the one that said it would have to go back to the factory. She also said to use it for the season and they will ship it back during the winter months so there is no real impact to the camping season.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I spoke with my dealer over the phone, apparently she has 2 other units like mine that has the same issue, my dealer is the one that said it would have to go back to the factory. She also said to use it for the season and they will ship it back during the winter months so there is no real impact to the camping season.
And... I'm hoping you got that in writing??

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #7

21 DS Delamination

I bought the same model in February 2018. No problems yet but will be on the lookout... thanks for post...
thom125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #8

It did not even cross my mind to get this in writing. Being only two months old as well as purchasing the extended warranty I thought it would be a no brainier to have an issue like this repaired with little to no hassle? Being a first time owner am I being naive?
Old 06-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #9

Quote:
It did not even cross my mind to get this in writing. Being only two months old as well as purchasing the extended warranty I thought it would be a no brainier to have an issue like this repaired with little to no hassle? Being a first time owner am I being naive?

Cover your self !, get everything and anything related to this in Writing !!
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #10

If you don’t have it in writing, it never happened.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #11

I have the same problem with my 2018 Rockwood 2109S. After contacting my dealer I was referred to the Rockwood warranty department. They have it scheduled and will send a driver to NM to pick up and deliver back to my house. I was told it was a problem with the glue used within a week period. I was happy with the communication from Rockwood but not happy to have my unit gone for a month. Good luck
royalgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalgto View Post
I have the same problem with my 2018 Rockwood 2109S. After contacting my dealer I was referred to the Rockwood warranty department. They have it scheduled and will send a driver to NM to pick up and deliver back to my house. I was told it was a problem with the glue used within a week period. I was happy with the communication from Rockwood but not happy to have my unit gone for a month. Good luck
Royalgto, I am in ABQ as well, I got my flagstaff at chisolm, I'm sure your rockwood came from Aloha RV weird coincidence. I am going to wait until winter to send it back. Chisolm told me the walls would be replaced instead of just gluing it down. Curious how yours turns out, keep us posted.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #13

Looks terrible, hope you get it sorted.
TC
tc cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #14

Evolrider and Royalgto --- Our 2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS had the same problem ... bad glue. We brought back to dealer who contacted FR. FR determined that it needed a factory repair. We dropped off at the dealer on 5.25.18 in Duncan, SC. They told us the work would be done the week of 6.11.18. Customer service called us today to say work was complete. They replaced both the door side (ds) and the off door side (ods) walls as well as the sides of the slide out in addition to some related parts. We are driving to pick the unit up next week. We will camp for a couple of days near the repair facility to check out the work before we leave the area and head home. We don't want to have to do this again. FR acknowledged that there was a batch of campers that have this problem. Will post an update after we pick up next week.
Npmathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npmathis View Post
Evolrider and Royalgto --- Our 2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS had the same problem ... bad glue. We brought back to dealer who contacted FR. FR determined that it needed a factory repair. We dropped off at the dealer on 5.25.18 in Duncan, SC. They told us the work would be done the week of 6.11.18. Customer service called us today to say work was complete. They replaced both the door side (ds) and the off door side (ods) walls as well as the sides of the slide out in addition to some related parts. We are driving to pick the unit up next week. We will camp for a couple of days near the repair facility to check out the work before we leave the area and head home. We don't want to have to do this again. FR acknowledged that there was a batch of campers that have this problem. Will post an update after we pick up next week.
Thanks for the reply. I was told they would replace my walls as well, would like to get more details as to what exactly is being replaces? The entire wall or laminate?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #16
Happy Camper

CYA
Get it in writing
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #17

We drove to Millersburg, IN from N. GA to pick up our 21ds last week. FR would have delivered it back to the dealer, but we had not been to IN in a while. It was a nice trip. FR replaced both the door side wall as well as the off door side wall. I know they replaced the entire wall because we had markings on the inside walls and some Commander hooks installed on the inside walls which were not there when we picked up. I found the hooks in a drawer. Also, had some loose floor molding in an inconspicuous place that was no longer loose. The decals on the sides were a bit different than the pics I had of the original ones when we bought the unit. I was pleased with the work and how quickly they completed it. The FR customer service rep (Deb) who worked with us throughout this process was extraordinary. She kept informed all along the way. No complaints.
Npmathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npmathis View Post
We drove to Millersburg, IN from N. GA to pick up our 21ds last week. FR would have delivered it back to the dealer, but we had not been to IN in a while. It was a nice trip. FR replaced both the door side wall as well as the off door side wall. I know they replaced the entire wall because we had markings on the inside walls and some Commander hooks installed on the inside walls which were not there when we picked up. I found the hooks in a drawer. Also, had some loose floor molding in an inconspicuous place that was no longer loose. The decals on the sides were a bit different than the pics I had of the original ones when we bought the unit. I was pleased with the work and how quickly they completed it. The FR customer service rep (Deb) who worked with us throughout this process was extraordinary. She kept informed all along the way. No complaints.
That's great to hear, thanks for the update
Old 06-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #19

Old style sides

This makes me think the next trailer I buy needs to a Puma or Cherokee with the old style sides.
corgidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #20
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgidog View Post
This makes me think the next trailer I buy needs to a Puma or Cherokee with the old style sides.
No, not really. I'm never going back to that corrugated aluminum again with the impossible to clean black streaks.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote